• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

POLL: What edition of D&D did you most recently play/run?

READ INSTRUCTIONS- Within the past year, the version of D&D I have played/run most recently is:

• OD&D

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 1e (AD&D)

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 2e

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 3e

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • 4e

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • 5e

Votes: 100 78.7%
  • BECMI

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I have not run or played D&D within the past year.

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lowkey13

Exterminate all rational thought
So, since the great enworld Board Co-Mingling, I've been seeing a lot of cross-talk about various editions, and I naturally thought to myself, "Self, why do you talk to yourself like this?"

And then, after that I began to wonder what editions people were actually playing today (as opposed to arguing about because, hey, we are on the internet), and so I thought I'd put up a poll.

Now, for purposes of this poll, please consider the following instructions:

1. The game of D&D must have been run within the past one (1) year. Or 365 days, if you don't like to follow typical calendar years. If you're not good with time, then it must be "kinda recent."

2. It must be Dungeons and Dragons. So (for example) Pathfinder and other d20-type games do not count, and are not listed in the poll options. However ....

3. If you are primarily playing/running a retroclone/OSR, then list it as the edition it is meant to resemble.

4. For purposes of this poll, this should be the game you have run/played most recently, unless it was a one-shot and you PRIMARILY have played/run some other edition over the past year.

5. The following will be the editions listed, with additional information presented here:
a. OD&D (this includes Chainmail through Holmes Basic)
b. 1e
c. 2e
d. 3e (this includes 3.5e, but if you primarily play PF, and have not played "D&D" in the past year, do not answer this- if you only play PF, for purposes of my curiousity, answer that you haven't played/run within the past year)
e. 4e
f. 5e
g. BECMI (B/X or BECMI, Moldvay or Mentzer or RC)
h. I have not played or run D&D within the past year.

I am NOT including a catch-all lemon curry option. If you need to fight this poll, don't answer and bring your boxing gloves to the comments.

:)

lowkey13

Exterminate all rational thought
The implication that i play 3e makes me want to take a shower
Well, since by the power of maths and logic you are a self-proclaimed 3e lover, then you must know all about the skill system required to take a shower.

Sacrosanct

Slayer of Keraptis
I suppose I should be glad I didn’t mention how we also played gates of firestorm peak (a 2.5e module) with 5e rules . I’d probably have to kill myself

mortwatcher

Explorer
5E bar none
it's the most recent thing and even if it has it's downs, it's ups much out-weight it and it's a pretty good edition all in all

Monayuris

Explorer
I ran D&D 5E this past Saturday, but I ran Basic Fantasy RPG (B/X Retroclone) this past Tuesday.

So I voted 5E this time.

I run 5E and BFRPG at around the same frequency.

Far and away, for me, it's 5e. But, if there was a second place, it’d be 1e. I got to play in a Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth session at Origins. We were killed by a combination of two ropers and the one PC’s Javelin of Lightning and it was awesome.

Myrhdraak

Explorer
I played 4e with some 5e adoption (bounded accuracy, backgrounds, inspiration, 9 encounter days, etc). I call it 4.5 edition. For me it is the best of two worlds.
/Myrhdraak

JonnyP71

Explorer
Last Friday... 1E AD&D, Module G3 - Hall of the Fire Giant King. A true classic. 3 of the 8 PCs got killed, 1 of them due to save or die poison, another was turned to stone, the third marched off by themselves due to a cursed Ring (contrariness) and got eaten by Fire Lizards. D&D as it was meant to be :p

Legatus_Legionis

< BLAH HA Ha ha >
Last Friday... 1E AD&D, Module G3 - Hall of the Fire Giant King. A true classic. 3 of the 8 PCs got killed, 1 of them due to save or die poison, another was turned to stone, the third marched off by themselves due to a cursed Ring (contrariness) and got eaten by Fire Lizards. D&D as it was meant to be :p
I guess that is why we usually end up just getting together and running a "random dungeon generator" session.

We write up multiple PCs (for when one or more die), have no attachment to them, and just enjoy the hack-n-slash/treasure, social aspect of getting together for an evening of sitting around and BS'ing the time away.

Zardnaar

Adventurer
5E, but getting a hankering for 2E as some of the new players want to try Spelljammer of all things.

If you're allowing clones to count you should probably allow Pathfinder to count since it's really a 3.5 clone.

Azzy

Explorer
I'm playing in both a 5e and a 3.5 (shudder) campaign. I'm prefering 5e with its less accounting.

JonnyP71

Explorer
I guess that is why we usually end up just getting together and running a "random dungeon generator" session.

We write up multiple PCs (for when one or more die), have no attachment to them, and just enjoy the hack-n-slash/treasure, social aspect of getting together for an evening of sitting around and BS'ing the time away.
In the example of my game, these are PCs that have been lovingly developed for a couple of years ;)

But at level 9-11 in AD&D, the Clerics are able to cast Raise Dead, so it's rarely permanent... (at -1 CON each time a PC is raised, their CON stats are suffering though, the G series has been brutal)

jayoungr

Explorer
(2.5e + 5e)/2 = 3.75e = PF
Alternatively, it might be Star Wars Saga Edition. Which I'm also gearing up to run soon.

(I'm really sad that WotC let the Star Wars license go. A new edition based on a 5E chassis would probably be more to my taste than the FFG version.)

Advertisement