Prestige Class: Servant of the Book

Crothian

First Post
Now, I'm posting a Prestige class to one of my world's gods. Voltar is god of craft, magic, and fire. This prestige class is for Clerics who want to specialize on the Magic aspect of the god and Talamar, his son and the Demi-god of Magic.

Servant of the Book

Priests of Voltar who wish to become more in tune with Talamar, Demi-God of magic and chosen of Voltar, take upon this calling. They travel to Calador to consult with the current high Servant of the Book. He will then instruct the student if the student is qualified. At the end of the instruction the student is usually required to go upon a quest before becoming a Servant of the Book.

Requirements:
Concentration: 5 ranks
Knowledge Arcana: 5 ranks
Knowledge Religion: 8 ranks
Spellcraft: 5 ranks
Ability to cast 2nd level Divine and Arcane spells
Any one metamagic Feat
Spell Penetration Feat
Domain: Magic

Class Features:
Weapons and Armor: None
HD: D6
Skill Points: 2+ Int modifier per level
Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge: All (Int), Profession (Wis), Scry (Int), and Spellcraft (Int)

Attack Fort Ref Will Special
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Domain
2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Spell Secret
3 +1 +1 +1 +3 +1 Existing Spell Level
4 +2 +1 +1 +4 Bonus Slot 1/day
5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Spell Secret
6 +3 +2 +2 +5 +1 Existing Spell Level
7 +3 +2 +2 +5 Bonus Slot 2/day
8 +4 +2 +2 +6 Maximum Spell Secret
9 +4 +3 +3 +6 +1 Existing Spell Level
10 +5 +3 +3 +7 Quicken Spell Secret, Bonus Slot 3/day

Domain: The character may choose a third domain from the following: Spell or Knowledge,

Spell Secret: At these levels the servant can choose one spell known to him and permanently modify it as though it is affected by one of the following metamagic feats: Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, Extend Spell, Still Spell, or Silent Spell. The level of the spell does not change and once the choice and modification have been made, they cannot be changed. As the servant goes up in level he may choose to modify the same spell with multiple spell secrets. +1 Existing Spell Level: At Levels five and nine the character’s spellcasting abilities are increased in one Divine and one Arcane class. Only the number of spells cast per day is increased.

+1 Existing Spell Level: At Levels three, six and nine the character’s spellcasting abilities are increased in one Divine and one Arcane class. Only the number of spells cast per day is increased.

Bonus Slot: You can cast an extra spell a day of up to third level. This can be either a divine or arcane spell. You must have previously cast the spell that day.

Permanent Maximum: At Eighth level a servant can choose to modify a spell as with the metamagic feat Maximize Spell. This works exactly like Spell Secret except the spell has to be Maximized.

Permanent Quicken: At tenth level a servant can choose to modify a spell as with the metamagic feat Quicken Spell. This works exactly like Spell Secret except the spell has to be Quickened.

Edit: Heavily modified.

Last edited:

Claude Raines

First Post
This looks like a rather more powerful version of the Mystic PrC that appeared in Dragon Magazine. I would drop the bonus feats and have the spell secrets gained at opposite levels to the increase in caster levels.

Crothian

First Post
It is more powerful, but it also requires Arcane and Divine magic. So, under that consideration is it still to much?

Edit: I did change it a bunch, actually. I need to take another look at the Mystic, I think they are to much alike right now.

Last edited:

EOL

First Post
I don't think it's unbalanced, the requirements are really stiff which helps balance it out, anytime you require someone to split their spell-casting (plus the every other +1 spell casting) that hurts a lot. I like it though it is pretty similar to Mystic, as you've mentioned.

The key question I ask is whether or not it's a no-brainer to take the PrC. If it is, then you may need to re-examine it, I don't look at this and say this is way better than a single class cleric or wizard, for me at least taking this PrC would be a tough choice, over just being straight class.

Crothian

First Post
Thanks for the reply. I think I need to come up with some other abilites, otherwise I'm not sure why anyone would want to play this. Right now you can make it at Clr3/Wiz3. And with 10 more levels you only add five leves of spells power. I image all will apply to the same either Cleric or Wizard, but they don't have to.

Right now it seems flat as a prestige class. I think I may do a total revamp.

Crothian

First Post
I finally got around to doing the heavy modifications to this. Cut back skill points and class skills. Did a better job with the powers of the class.

EOL

First Post
I really like the idea of progressing the divine and arcane at the same time. It maintaines the old multi-classed mage/cleric feel of the class which is I think your primary theme.

Crothian

First Post
Thanks, that is what I'm going for. I figure if you put the time into having both classes, you'll want them both to be the same.

Malachai_rose

First Post
Hi :) my only suggestion would be to go from upping the +1 caster level every three levels to having it done every two levels, though with all the bonus stuff that may be a little hard. It just seems that if I were a spellcaster and I wanted to do a mage cleric combo, I would be better suited by just going up in them alternating, ie 5th lvl wizard 6th level cleric that way I would get the higher level spells quicker, though still only at half the rate of a straight classed magic user. At 20th level assuming the character picked up the PRC at 7th level they would only be able to cast 4th level spells of both while a straight class would have 9th level spells. That makes the caster both gimped and doomed to die or spend his life as a spear carrier for his buddies. By doing it every 2nd level they would be able to cast 5th level spells, it still is a big fall from 5th to 9th lvl spells but at a caster lvl 9 for both cleric and mage it would give them a good number of spells as well as good spell diversification (as 5th lvl spells clerics get planeshift and raise dead among others) So they would be much more able to contribute to the group as a whole and they ould feel more like a fully realized and viable character class. Thats just my opinion though :) well sorry for the long post I just liked the idea you had and wanted to toss my two cent in :p

Malachai "Benito" Rose
Hero of the Vilhon Reach

ps :) if ya want to do a critique on my Holy Justice PRC it would b much appreciated as I am trying to see what I might need to improve or change if anything, thnx :)

http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3547

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Ultimately, I want to figure out a way that allows the cleric divine and arcane spells to mix in more of a way. It's not so much about getting the high level spells. Anyone who wants to do that, should stick with one class. It's still under revision, but I'm at least liking this version better then my last one.

Remove ads