Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Bad **

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Terrible *

Votes: 1 4.0%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like it, but it's not as good as Taxi Driver. Joaquin Phoenix is excellent (everybody is excellent), the recreation of 1980s New York (err... Gotham, honest!) is fantastic. But Taxi Driver is a better film. That said, it's other main influence, King of Comedy, I don't like as much.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Angry white man rage fantasies peaked in the 80's when filmmakers still remembered we were supposed to be as critical of the subject (if not moreso) as the external conditions for their breakdown (people often refer to Taxi Driver here because Scorsese, which, fair, but for my money First Blood is the very best foray into the genre). I mean, even as pointless an exercise as, say, Falling Down had the nerve to bother to say something about anything, something Joker kept threatening to do but kept refusing to actually commit to.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Also

Pro-tip: If the plot of your film revolves around a video going viral, try not set your movie in a time period before "going viral" was a thing or even, you know, remotely possible given the contemporary methods of communication

Ryujin

Legend
I quite liked it, for the "portrayal of mental illness" thing, but after reflecting and realizing a few things that I'd missed in theatre found that I liked it even more, for exactly the same reason.

dagger

Adventurer
Great movie. Nice to get a comic book movie with depth that has a lot to say.

An R rated movie hitting 1 billion with out China would be amazing.

Remove ads