Rate This Campaign Idea - The Minoans

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I'm thinking about starting up a second campaign to run in between sessions of my Pathfinder RotRL campaign. What I'm considering is a Castles and Crusades game set at about 1450 BCE.

The campaign starts out at the end of the Minoan civilization. Currently, scholars have no definitive answer for why the Minoans disappeared from Cete. Some believe that it had to do with the eruption of a volcano a hundred years earlier, others believe that it was an invasion by the Mycenaeans. This historical uncertainty presents an intriguing opportunity for roleplaying.

So first off, the ground rules - everything that exists in a normal C&C game exists in this campaign. While magic was most likely not real during that period in Earth's history, that's OK, because in this pseudo-historical setting, magic is real, but it's imparted to people by strange and terrible (Cthulhu-like) gods. Only those on the fringe practiced the dark arts, while the more common form of magic is imparted by the more mainstread gods.

So, moving things along, the campaign begins with the characters native to Crete. There will probably be a short adventure of minor importance to kick things off. Perhapse the characters will take jobs protecting a merchant ship or something of that nature. Somewhere around the third adventure, they end up in Crete when the island is invaded by the Mycenaeans. The city is destroyed, most of the people slaughtered, perhapse I'll have them use some ancient and terrible magics, which literally level the city and either kill or disperse all who are there at the time.

The characters are forced to flee, and since Crete was the hub if trade for the Aegeans, they can literally go anywhere from here. I'm thinking ancient Egypt where they will fall in with a group that wants to plunder a previously undiscovered Pharoah's tomb. This leads to a decent dungeon crawl, however, their involvement is soon discovered by the authorities and they become hunted, possibly captured and enslaved. They'll have to escape from Egypt, at which time the campaign will probably turn to the Mesopotamians.

The idea behind the campaign would be to keep things fairly open-ended, with an emphasis on traveling Afro-Eurasia at the time and getting caught up in a number of local adventures. Actually, the adventures will probably be pulled from the numerous published desert adventures that have Arabian or Egyptian themes, of which there are plenty out there. The characters themselves will develop a reputation over time, and their group will simply be known as "The Minoans."

Some background material can be pulled from history books, OGL Ancients, and Necromancer's Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia.

For the history buffs out there, are there any signifficant events that I'm not considering, which took place roughly at that time? Is there anything important that I should add to this campaign idea?

The one thing I'm fairly certain is that if they end up returning to Crete, it won't be until towards the end of the campaign, at which time they might fight for vengeance, but they certainly won't be able to resurrect the Minoan civilization.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Sounds very interesting. I LOVE historical based fantasy.

I have one question. What of the minotaur(s)? The founding king supposedly fed enemies (inc children) to it. Is it still alive (or did Theseus kill the only one), are there others, are minotaurs an accepted player race for Minos (it would certainly fit)? ;)

Cheers, C

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Quick search reveals a couple of events that supposedly happened in that decade.
Canaanites, under the King of Kadesh, invaded Egypt led by Tutmose III at Battle of Megiddo. The book Heroes of Battle could provide some good hooks here. In any case it would be an ideal chance to fight from chariots.
Some suggest this was the time Moses led the Exodus of the Jews. Being part of the Parting of the Red Sea would be pretty cool.

Cheers, C.

Khairn

First Post
Here are a few more events from that general time period. The dates are approximations and are not meant as "fact". In other words don't quote me or use this information for a history paper. B-)

Greece
1490 - Founding of Sparta
1500 - Traditional founding of Athens (consolidation of Attica) by Cecrops I
1500 - Cadmus brings 15 Pheonician symbols to Greece which eventually became elements of the Roman alphabet. Oh, and he also founded Thebes.

The other major empires of that time included the Egyptians, Babylonians, Assyrians (Babylonian colony) and Lydia.

If you're using sea travel to get around, you can't forget the Phoenicians and their cities of Byblos, Tyre Sidon etc. Even though they weren't a powerhouse around the fall of Minoans, they were on the rise.

Historically it is a very exciting time, and it can be a very magical time as well, especially if you include ancient legends and myths as "facts".

Darrin Drader

Explorer
It just occurred to me that I could fudge the timeline a little and have them participate in the Trojan War. I could actually end the campaign with this and use it to tie the beginning with the end.

Agamemnon was a Mycenaean king, and he was a critical part of the Trojan War. So suppose that he's in charge at the battle of Crete at the beginning. Towards the end of the campaign, the PCs are coming back to Greece, where the Trojan War is going on. Of course, they're going to want to get involved and try to get revenge for destroying their homeland. What if history was wrong about him coming back from the Trojan War? The PCs get to wrap up the campaign nicely by taking him out. Maybe at that point, if we aren't sick of the campaign by then, we could relaunch epic C&C with The Odyssey.

As for minotaurs, I'm thinking that the legendary minotaur was just one of many. However, since this is historical and they're supposed to be Minoans, they'd have to play humans - no monstrous races.

Last edited:

grodog

Hero
Darrin, you may be interested in picking up Charles Pellegrino's Unearthing Atlantis, which spends a considerable amount of time digging around in the history, myths, and geological events in/around Crete and Thera/Santorini: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Unearthing-Atlantis-Archaeological-Odyssey-Civilization/dp/0380810441/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224454110&sr=8-5]Amazon.com: Unearthing Atlantis:: An Archaeological Odyssey to the Fabled Lost Civilization: Charles R. Pellegrino: Books[/ame]

It's an excellent read, and would likely give you a lot of additional ideas to play with.

TheNovaLord

First Post
my fav holiday destination, went there in august

i think the idea of santorini / erupting and as well as crete being affected atalntis is destroyed is a good one.
To tie into magic u could have this event either cause the loss of magic to the world, or bringing magic to the world.
Find images of palace of Knossos and other ancient sites on the island for inspiration, and just imagine what they looked like intact.

maybe have the party return to crete at one point to find some hidden power /magic

tie up the whole campaign in a pulp style set in the 1940's, in the real reason the nazis invaded crete to find some lost atlantean power!!

Mark Hope

Adventurer
If you're getting involved in Egypt at the time, the reign of Thutmoses and the story of Queen Hathshepsut are filled with adventure hooks and cool concepts. A bit of research will turn up plenty of info on them. Hathshepsut in particular is a fascinating figure.

If you are familiar with any of the old World of Darkness material relating to the Minoans, there are several excellent plots there that can fit your campaign. The Labyrinth (in the WoD) was actually a method of communing with terrible, dark powers and the destruction of the Minoan civilisation was engineered by various supernatural forces seeking the destruction of the sark cabals at work there.

(The oWoD also has a neat take on Thutmoses and Hathshepsut, casting them as founders of a group of magi trying to tie various ancient traditions together.)

Remove ads