D&D 5E Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil again in 5E? (Dungeons & Tombs)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Among the sites listed in WotC's Young Adventurer's Guides: Dungeons & Tombs is the Temple of Elemental Evil. But its description is odd and I'm wondering why new information was created for the dungeon.

On page 15:
The scattered towns of this frontier land face a dire threat. If the forces of Elemental Evil can't be defeated, madness and destruction will spread through Slumber Hills and, if left unchecked, perhaps the entire realm.

And on page 17:
The quiet town of Red Larch provides an idyllic entry point to Slumber Hills, where the four cults have built their strongholds.

And on page 18:
He uses a horrifying magical scream to try and frighten away adventurers, warning "Beware thieves! Even in death, the dwarves of Besilmer guard their fabled treasure!"

I'm almost certain those first two references are new, and are replacing the Kron Hills and the village of Hommlet. I don't know what dwarven kingdom, if any, was in the original ToEE (by the time it came out, my friends and I had gotten tired of waiting for it and had moved on to other adventures).

But what's the point of making up a new setting for the temple? Elsewhere in the book, Saltmarsh and Ravenloft get name-checked, as do Forgotten Realms sites (this series would make you believe that Ironslag is the most iconic D&D adventure ever), so it's not like existing D&D settings are being shied away from here.

If Greyhawk is an issue, I assume Ghosts of Saltmarsh wouldn't exist as-is.

Does this suggest the Temple of Elemental Evil is coming back in some form and WotC has created a new mini-setting to surround it? Or is something else to blame here?

Nebulous

Legend
Slumber Hills (called Sumber Hills in Princes of the Apocalypse campaign) Red Larch and Besilmer were all parts of the big mega-adventure that was itself a reimagining of Temple of Elemental Evil.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I
Among the sites listed in WotC's Young Adventurer's Guides: Dungeons & Tombs is the Temple of Elemental Evil. But its description is odd and I'm wondering why new information was created for the dungeon.

On page 15:

And on page 17:

And on page 18:

I'm almost certain those first two references are new, and are replacing the Kron Hills and the village of Hommlet. I don't know what dwarven kingdom, if any, was in the original ToEE (by the time it came out, my friends and I had gotten tired of waiting for it and had moved on to other adventures).

But what's the point of making up a new setting for the temple? Elsewhere in the book, Saltmarsh and Ravenloft get name-checked, as do Forgotten Realms sites (this series would make you believe that Ironslag is the most iconic D&D adventure ever), so it's not like existing D&D settings are being shied away from here.

If Greyhawk is an issue, I assume Ghosts of Saltmarsh wouldn't exist as-is.

Does this suggest the Temple of Elemental Evil is coming back in some form and WotC has created a new mini-setting to surround it? Or is something else to blame here?
Very intresting I think If they do it they would make it a eay that it can be set on Greyhawk, Realms, Eberron, etc with side tables on where to set it. That description you does sound like something they could fit to a side table.
In the other hand, Princes of the Apocalypse is supposed to be a take on that adventure for 5e. So idk.

Remove ads