Ride: Spur Mount

d(sqrt(-1))

First Post
Does Ride:Spur Mount increase the mount's base move, or the total move of a mount for the entire round? The rule says that "A successful Ride check increases the mount's speed by 10 feet for 1 round". So if I spur my mount and take a double move, do I get (base speed x 2)+10' or (base speed+10')x2 from this? Similarly for Running, where I could be taking x4 or x5 movement. I suspect that the extra movement is added after the multiplier, but I'm not quite sure!

cheers,

Mark

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
d(sqrt(-1)) said:
Does Ride:Spur Mount increase the mount's base move, or the total move of a mount for the entire round? The rule says that "A successful Ride check increases the mount's speed by 10 feet for 1 round". So if I spur my mount and take a double move, do I get (base speed x 2)+10' or (base speed+10')x2 from this? Similarly for Running, where I could be taking x4 or x5 movement. I suspect that the extra movement is added after the multiplier, but I'm not quite sure!

It increases the mount's speed. When the mount takes a move action, it can move its speed. When it takes a double-move action, it can move twice its speed. When it takes the Run action, it can move 4x its speed.

So if the mount is running, Spur Mount will let it move 40 feet further than normal.

-Hyp.

d(sqrt(-1))

First Post
Ok, that seems fair enough. One other thing - it's a move action for the rider to spur the mount. Suppose that the mount uses a full round action to move e.g. running. If the rider uses both of his actions to spur mount I assume there would be no real benefit as bonuses from same source don't stack and the extra damage is taken once per round.

thanks,

Mark

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
d(sqrt(-1)) said:
Ok, that seems fair enough. One other thing - it's a move action for the rider to spur the mount. Suppose that the mount uses a full round action to move e.g. running. If the rider uses both of his actions to spur mount I assume there would be no real benefit as bonuses from same source don't stack and the extra damage is taken once per round.

That's how I'd rule it, yes. The damage doesn't come from the use of the Spur Mount ability; the damage comes from a round of increased speed as a result of the Spur Mount ability, so it doesn't matter how many times you spur in one round, it's still only one round of increased speed. And I wouldn't stack the increase. 'You can use this ability every round' implies a maximum, to me.

-Hyp.

Shin Okada

Explorer
But if the mount was an intelligent one like Paladin's special mount, unnecessarily frequent spurring may cause damages to the relation of the two :p

Bagpuss

Legend
Heck I play a Half-Orc Barbarian with a Halfing Knight cohort on my shoulders, for the extra movement when he spurs me and the ability to negate one enemy attack around when he uses his Mounted Combat Feat. :D

Oh course I'm making this up, after all everyone knows you can't have a cohort of opposite alignment on any axis and Barbarian's have to be Chaotic, while Knight's have to be Lawful

Last edited:

d(sqrt(-1))

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
That's how I'd rule it, yes. The damage doesn't come from the use of the Spur Mount ability; the damage comes from a round of increased speed as a result of the Spur Mount ability, so it doesn't matter how many times you spur in one round, it's still only one round of increased speed. And I wouldn't stack the increase. 'You can use this ability every round' implies a maximum, to me.

-Hyp.

Yup, that sounds good to me. Looks like the best way is to spur only every other round, then you are only causing 1 hp damage every 2 rounds.

cheers,

Mark

d(sqrt(-1))

First Post
Shin Okada said:
But if the mount was an intelligent one like Paladin's special mount, unnecessarily frequent spurring may cause damages to the relation of the two :p

Hm, to reflect that you need to play HeroQuest (rpg, not boardgame)... :)

Mark

frankthedm

First Post
Shin Okada said:
Uhm, you know there are plenty of characters who would gladly take "spurring damage" to get extra speed. 1hp, then 2 hp, then 4 hp for 30' to 120' feet is a damn fine trade off. 8 hp might be worth it for the 4th round, 16 hp for the 5th round is probly pushing it, though well worth it fleeing from the aftermath of beating the Load Bearing BBEG

Hell, adding the option to "spur self" to the run feat will get people to take it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases