Robots -- Create a New Race or Template?

Azaar

Explorer
I'm considering the possibilities of a low-magic futuristic campaign, and considering trying to put together a race of robots. However, I don't just want to rip off the iron golem and try converting it over. Would creating a race be the best idea, or should I perhaps go the route of the ever-popular template?

Wolf72

Explorer
Terminators!

wouldn't they be a race of constructs?

for ideas of variants try using the astral construct in the PsiHB

Azaar

Explorer
Hope that's part of what's already been released on the OGL stuff. I don't have the 3E Psionics Handbook, alas, other than what's been shown on the OGL website.

Crothian

First Post
I'd just make a new race.

Unless you plan on having robots of a dozen different races like androids, then I'd make it a template.

Crothian

First Post
I don't think any of the psionics has been posted to the OGL. Mongoose is coming out with a Arcane book on Constructs. I don't know when it's supposed to be released, but it should be good.

Azaar

Explorer
Good point, Crothian. Suggestions on that? Only thing I can think of is using the DMG and MM both as a starting point.

Crothian

First Post
My suggestiosns would be write one up and post it here. There are many great people who love to give feedback. Heck, many are here most of the day (I imagine their bosses, like mine are unaware of that fact :D ). So, just give it a try. Use the MM as a guide because they will be constructs.

Azaar

Explorer
Alas... don't have Dragonstar. About the only thing I could look at for possible pointers for robots as a race would be Heroes Unlimited (ehh) and WEG's new DC Universe RPG... and both of them are, unfortunately, superheroic settings. The D6 Star Wars RPG has some basic robot stuff, but not what I'm wanting. Granted, I could make some of the 'powers' from the superhero RPGS into special abilities, but then again, I can do the same with some of the magic spells in 3E D&D (like what was suggested to me at the WOTC forums about trying to create additional futuristic weaponry to go along with helping with the campaign setting I have in mind).

graydoom

First Post
The decision between race or template depends on what you want it to be. If you want to be able to make quick and easy elf-robots, dwarf-robots, etc., then make it a template that can be applied to creatures.
If you want it to be a unique race of its own, make it a race. By making it a race, you could include customization options, or sub-races, or something similar.

From what you've said, it sounds to me that making it a race would be best. Keep in mind that you can include choices for individual characters of a race... like "Does this character have the laser cannons, or does this character have the armored body?"
And once you are done making the race... post it here! People will give you good feedback, and you can use that to refine the race into a balanced race that still is what you envision the robots as being.

Remove ads