RPG Crowdfunding News – Batman, Torg Eternity, Exalted, and more

This week, I look at RPG crowdfunding campaigns that end between June 6th to the 23rd, including two I couldn’t cover last week.

This week, I look at RPG crowdfunding campaigns that end between June 6th to the 23rd, including two I couldn’t cover last week.

Batman- Gotham City Chronicles - Season 3 and RPG.png

In this article, I share two notable publishers crowdfunding moves between different platforms. Ulisses Spiele brings Torg Eternity back to Kickstarter; their last Torg Kickstarter was in July 2019. Since then, they’d used GameOnTabletop for the property, producing exceptional results. Their last GameOnTabletop Torg campaign ended with 891 backers and $191,939 raised. However, nearly three years later, Torg returns to Kickstarter and it’s a success. Going a different direction is Onyx Path Publishing. Kickstarter stalwarts, OPP brings an Exalted project to IndieGoGo. They’re showing some great numbers for IndieGoGo. That said, it’s unlikely that IndieGoGo will produce the same levels as their last Exalted sourcebook from a year ago on Kickstarter (4,086 backers and $349,260 raised). Diversifying platforms is a worthwhile strategy, one that I’m glad to see the bigger tabletop publishers actively experimenting with.

Batman™ : Gotham City Chronicles - Season 3 and RPG from Monolith Board Games LLC
  • END DATE: Fri, June 10 2022 5:59 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Untold Tales Modern
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook and more
  • MOST POPULAR RPG PLEDGE: €149 + S/H for the three print books and GM screen. At this time, there are no PDFs for the RPGs, but the publisher is working on obtaining approval for them from the license holder
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Batman comes back to tabletop roleplaying games! Presented as a core rulebook to play as the Dark Knight and related characters, there’s also a Gotham City Guide, an adventure book, and GM screen. This is, arguably, another million dollar Kickstarter. Sure, it’s a board game with miniatures and an RPG all in the same campaign, so deciding if this is a million dollar RPG campaign is up for debate, but it is worth mentioning. If adventuring in Gotham using a d20 variant would spark your interest, this campaign is worth checking out for more details and the quickstart guide.

Torg Eternity - Pan Pacifica.png

Torg Eternity - Pan Pacifica from Ulisses Spiele
  • END DATE: Wed, June 15 2022 12:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Torg Eternity
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €199 + S/H for the boxed set with books, cards, screens, maps, soundtracks, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Torg’s answer to cyberpunk gets the Eternity treatment in this campaign. Torg Eternity brings back the classic game and, with this boxed set, closes out the first year of the Possibility War. If you’re a fan of multiversal settings with aspects of most every genre blended together, this is an epic game to get your hands on. With Pan Pacifica, expect classic ‘80s and ‘90s style cyberpunk with street samurai, corporate wars, hacking, and neon all informing this world. If you’re a fan of multiverse settings, cyberpunk, and amazing boxed sets, this campaign is worth exploring.

EXIGENTS- Out of the Ashes for Exalted 3rd Edition.png

EXIGENTS: Out of the Ashes for Exalted 3rd Edition from Onyx Path Publishing
  • END DATE: June 23 2022
  • SYSTEM(S): Exalted 3rd Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE:
  • NOTE: This campaign is available via IndieGoGo
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Need more gods and custom character options in your Exalted campaign? The book offered here is a great resource for Exalted 3rd Edition fans, providing rules for creating your own Exigents, creations of the gods. More importantly, there are rules and guidance on creating a set of custom Charm sets. Coming in at over 300 pages, this sourcebook expands on how the gods create Exigents, the relationship to these lesser gods, the city of Ten Thousand Temples, how to create Charms, and more. If you’re an Exalted Storyteller, this is the book your campaign needs.
Animon Story TTRPG.png

Animon Story TTRPG from Metal Weave Games
  • END DATE: Thu, June 9 2022 8:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $65 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of both books plus a slipcase
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Looking for an RPG about kids and their monsters? This original game is for fans of Digimon and Pokémon. You’ll play as a kid and their animon companion as they fight, grow, and evolve. If you need a brilliantly illustrate, simple to play version of the kid and monster fighting other kids and monsters genre, check out the campaign page to sample the system.

Regency- A Spirited  Darling RPG of Love  Intrigue.png

Regency: A Spirited & Darling RPG of Love & Intrigue from Many-Sided Dice
  • END DATE: Sun, June 12 2022 10:09 AM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? If you want to play in a world akin to Bridgerton or Downton Abby, this RPG may speak to you. Inspired by the works of Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, Julia Quinn, and Julian Fellowes, Regency crafts a Regency Era tale of politics, intrigue, and romance. This 200-page book includes rules for character creation, the family system, and a primer of etiquette and expectations common of this era. Expect a setting that’s based in history, but much more diverse with nods to modern day norms.

Earthdawn 4th Edition- Grand Bazaar.png

Earthdawn 4th Edition: Grand Bazaar from FASA Corporation
  • END DATE: Wed, June 15 2022 12:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Earthdawn 4th Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $35 + $10 S/H in the US for the PDF and print version of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? The Grand Bazaar: Throal's Crown Jewel weighs in at 256 pages, each dedicated to the exploration of their largest marketplace. Adding to the fourth edition of Earthdawn, this book gives you great detail and content for any fantasy setting, opening up a rich, diverse shopping experience. As an added bonus, the campaign offers a plushie of Mountainshadow, one of their blue dragons. If you need an extensive fantasy bazaar or a dragon plushie, this is worth checking out.

Secrets of the Vibrant Sea RPG.jpg

Secrets of the Vibrant Sea RPG from Nerdburger Games
  • END DATE: Thu, June 16 2022 8:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rolebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 + $6 S/H for shipping in the US for the PDF and softcover of the book
  • DISCLAIMER: I’ve attended conventions with Nerdburger Games
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Craig Campbell brings another interesting RPG to crowdfunding with the sea-based sequel to Secrets of the Vibrant Isle. Craig technique involves working with a specific artist for each project, creating a uniform appearance and style for the books in each line. He’s got a great eye for talent, really picking the right artist to visualize his work. As such, each project is able to find an audience. With Secrets of the Vibrant Sea RPG, Gema “Ashenwave” Moratilla is crafting a wet world of wondrous weirdness. Designed for solo or group play, this RPG lets you explore a fantastical ocean. Since it’s meant for solo play, the adventures unfold through rolls and reference, excusing the GM from having to design the world. If you’re looking for a beautifully illustrated solo RPG about exploring the sea, check out this campaign page.

Sickness and Health- New Diseases For Your 5E Game.png
Sickness and Health: New Diseases For Your 5E Game from EN Publishing
  • END DATE: Mon, June 6 2022 6:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £7 for the PDF of the book
  • DISCLAIMER: EN World is a subsidiary of EN Publishing
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? 30 pages of diseases for 5e. Do you need mundane, supernatural, or extraplanar diseases for your campaign? This book has 16 diseases and 2 adventures, all to help spread the disease. With options like demonic plague, ooze decay, or wyrm pox, which defines body horror as “pox wyrmlings (CR 1/2) emerge,” GMs will find the right disease to add some horrible twists to their campaign. If your character is sick, this book tells them what they have, and makes it an adventure.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

I see a potential future for Animon as future multimedia franchise.

I am very susprised with the Batman RPG, even knowing it is one of the main brands in the total entertaiment industry. Mayber Warner-Discovery should think about to create an actual-play show as Critical Role.

* Will we watch anytime an amerianime serie of Exalted in any streaming service?

Zehnseiter

Adventurer
Ah Torg. Seven boxes already on my shelves and now on the way to a eight one. What a preposterous crazy ass ride of crowdfundings these where so far....:D

That those Torg crowdfundings still are that successful is a testament to how hardcore the Torg fans are.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Ah Torg. Seven boxes already on my shelves and now on the way to a eight one. What a preposterous crazy ass ride of crowdfundings these where so far....:D

That those Torg crowdfundings still are that successful is a testament to how hardcore the Torg fans are.
I've been all in on every set so far...and it's despite Ulysses Spiele trying to outdo themselves each time being worse at communication with their backers.

I think maybe it's a European culture thing? Every crowdfunding campaign I've been a part of from "the continent" has had abyssmal communication AFTER they have secured your money.

I backed Regency, cos I'm a massive sucker for that time period (where are all my Napoleonic-inspired RPGs, dammit? Or American Revolution? Or hell, Australian Frontier Wars?) but at 53% backed with 10 days to go it'd need a miracle at this point, and they don't see, to be advertising or promoting very hard. They had stretch goals prepared for up to $100k and will be lucky to fund at $25k - I wonder what went wrong. Is that market segment already perfectly happy with Good Society?

Exigents I'll probably buy once it's available PoD. The hardcopy backer packages are hilariously, ludicrously expensive, and from bitter experience I know that if you back one Onyx Path project they'll use that project's distribution list to spam you forever about all their other crowdfunding projects.

ugavine

Explorer
WB are renown for being strict, and slow, in authorising licenced products. So it still amazes me they hand out the license to a company that cannot afford to fund the game without crowdfunding.

Zehnseiter

Adventurer
I've been all in on every set so far...and it's despite Ulysses Spiele trying to outdo themselves each time being worse at communication with their backers.

I think maybe it's a European culture thing? Every crowdfunding campaign I've been a part of from "the continent" has had abyssmal communication AFTER they have secured your money.

Might very well be the case. Being from Germany I also back a lot of German language Ulisses CFs. I personally don't think of them being that bad in backer communication. They are about on par with Free League the only other European RPG company I back often. They mostly only give you updates when they have something new to say. That can lead to some months of silence especially when things are getting produced. But that doensn't mean that I am concerned. Both companies have done a lot of CFs and always delivered so far.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Might very well be the case. Being from Germany I also back a lot of German language Ulisses CFs. I personally don't think of them being that bad in backer communication. They are about on par with Free League the only other European RPG company I back often. They mostly only give you updates when they have something new to say. That can lead to some months of silence especially when things are getting produced. But that doensn't mean that I am concerned. Both companies have done a lot of CFs and always delivered so far.
I think the biggest issue with US is that they purposefully bury their updates in their web videos. I shouldn't have to rely on other funders to watch the content and tell me the update in a comment on the CF Page. If there is news it should be posted as an update to the campaign.

jolt

Adventurer
Ulisses Spiele, at least their US division, is pretty bad at communicating. I backed Torg when it first came out, but have missed many of the subsequent projects due to some other financial concern arriving at the same time, I signed up for their newsletter which has not even once provided any information. For the Orrorsh product, their website never even mentioned that it was available to order; you just had to know it was there.

I like the game, but I never know what's going on at the company and the releases are coming further and further apart to the point where most of my players have lost interest in the metaplot. We're already past the time length where the original game had come and gone and we haven't even finished year one yet. I understand why a lot of that has happened, but when you have a story based game, the story needs to progress. Needing 5+ years to tell the first year of a 5 year story is not a maintainable pace.

Remove ads

Remove ads