RPG Crowdfunding News – The Oracle Second Anniversary, Butter Princess, Curse of the Crimson Throne, and more

This week’s article looks at projects ending between June 30 and July 19. RPG magazines, zines, pamphlets, sourcebooks, core rulebooks, and boxed sets, this week shows a nice sampling of production types that are crowdfunding at Kickstarter, IndieGoGo, and BackerKit.

This week’s article looks at projects ending between June 30 and July 19. RPG magazines, zines, pamphlets, sourcebooks, core rulebooks, and boxed sets, this week shows a nice sampling of production types that are crowdfunding at Kickstarter, IndieGoGo, and BackerKit.

The Oracle RPG Magazine - Dangerous Journeys.jpg

The Oracle RPG Magazine - Dangerous Journeys from The Oracle
  • END DATE: Thu, June 30 2022 1:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG magazine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £7 for the PDF of the magazine
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? The Oracle tabletop RPG magazine has reached its 24th issue in two years! I want to congratulate The Oracle on accomplishing a feat that seemed impossible five to ten years ago, when the wider world believed magazines were done. Not just RPG magazines, but all magazines were over, considered a dead publishing model. However, we’re seeing a return with several ongoing RPG magazines finding an audience. Among them, The Oracle’s 24th issue provies there’s still an appetite for these publications. Twenty-four issues, thousands of pages of content, hundreds of images, all of this is a real comeback for the format and an accomplishment for them. As a magazine series, The Oracle is restoring that branch of gaming to its former glory. In their 24th issue, you’ll discover 52 pages of creatures, NPCs, an undead sailing crew, wagon and chariot 5e combat rules, gaming advice, random tables, quests, and more. If you’re a fan of RPG magazines and wondering at how they look today, this campaign page is worth a read.

Pathfinder® for Savage Worlds – Curse of the Crimson Throne.jpg

Pathfinder® for Savage Worlds – Curse of the Crimson Throne from Pinnacle Entertainment Group
  • END DATE: Thu, July 14 2022 8:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Savage Worlds Adventure Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $150 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the Advanced Player’s Guide, the adventure boxed set, cards, tokens, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Pinnacle Entertainment Group returns to Kickstarter with a new, official Pathfinder for Savage Worlds adventure path adaptation, this time converting Curse of the Crimson Throne. This was Pathfinder’s second adventure path, so it’s appropriate that it’s also Pathfinder for Savage Worlds’ second AP. This campaign pulls out all of the stops: Crimelords, barbarians, undead legions, a hard ruler, political intrigue, and, best of all, it comes as a boxed set of six books. If you go with the $150 option, it’s the Advanced Player’s Guide, the boxed set, so many cards, a guidebook, and maps, all to create a memorable campaign. If you’re a fan of Savage Worlds or Pathfinder or both, this is worth checking out.

Haemo's Writing on Trolls- A Foul DnD Supplement.jpg

Haemo's Writing on Trolls: A Foul D&D Supplement from Megalithic Prints
  • END DATE: Mon, July 11 2022 2:38 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG pamphlet
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £2 for the PDF of the pamphlet
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? I’m interested in RPG pamphlets. I’ve written a bit about CBR+PNK, a Forged in the Dark pamphlet driven RPG and I’ve shared several pamphlet RPG products. The concept of condensing content until it’s just a double-sided, A3, pamphlet packed with as much information as font size allows intrigues me. As a gamer, it speaks to my limited amount of freetime as well as my desire to cut out fluff and get to the core of the product. This pamphlet nails all of those bullet points for 5e trolls (the in-game monsters, not the internet monsters). A troll related mini-dungeon, a random troll generator table, trollkin ancestries, variants, magic items, and more; for a double sided pamphlet, it is a succinct information download. If you’re in need of quick bits of info for 5e trolls, this is worth a look.

Butter Princess.jpg

Butter Princess from Brian Sago
  • END DATE: Tue, July 19 2022 11:59 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Trophy Dark
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $19 for the PDF and print version (US only)
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? It’s about butter. And the Minnesota State Fair. And a 90-pound butter sculpture. In this game you play as a cake eater, a chump, a mark, a mooch. You get me? You see, you’re taking up the role of the rubes attending the fair. There, in the midway, you become obsessed with that buttery sculpture! Maybe it’s the taste? Maybe it’s the artwork? Maybe you just want to keep it from someone else? Maybe you like your biscuits with butter, not gravy? Regardless, you will stop at nothing to possess that spread! Your heart’s desire realized, here’s 46 pages of rules, humor, and re-mixed vintage art to get across the hayseed, oil, and mayhem you’ll cause as you stop at nothing to take the butter home!

The Last Adventure- a Role-playing Game.png

The Last Adventure: a Role-playing Game from lumpley games
  • END DATE: Fri, July 8 2022
  • SYSTEM(S): Powered by the Apocalypse
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG zine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $22 + $5 S/H in the US for the PDF, text, and print versions of the two RPG zine
  • CROWDFUNDING ON: IndieGoGo
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This is the third book in The Wizard's Grimoire zine series, a collection of fantasy RPGs designed to be played as standalone games or combined for a larger world. The first two, The Wizard's Grimoire and The Barbarian's Bloody Quest, touch on the same setting and similar rules, but aren’t required for The Last Adventure (TLA). For TLA, there is a zine about the character and a zine about The Land of Death. Why? Because this game is The Last Adventure, death, and you’re going to face it. Using a dice pool Powered by the Apocalypse system designed by the originator of the system, you experience the passing of a great warrior through one final campaign. Check out IndieGoGo to support this project.
X Marks The Spot- Piratical Resources For Your 5E Game.jpg

X Marks The Spot: Piratical Resources For Your 5E Game from EN Publishing
  • END DATE: Mon, July 4 2022 6:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £7 for the PDF of the book
  • DISCLAIMER: EN World is a subsidiary of EN Publishing
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? 28 pages of 5e nautical resources that feel like they washed in with the tide. No flotsam and jetsam among this haul; instead, you’ll secure seven magic items like barnacle mail and the bracelet of the deep. Need a place by the sea? How about a sunken ghost ship or a holy lighthouse, a good option to shine the light on the world. Reel in your party with twenty interlinked plot hooks, each baited and ready to cast. Finally, enjoy a full adventure in a moored ship converted into a tavern and inn. Featuring creators like Walt Ciechanowski, Phil Stone, and Dyson Logos, this is an enticing offer for fans of 5e and the wild, blue depths of the sea.

Potions and Herbalists.jpg

Potions and Herbalists from Diego Pisa Artworks
  • END DATE: Fri, July 1 2022 12:09 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €8 for the PDF of the book and cards
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? If you need detailed potions for your fantasy RPG, this 32 page collection may be the answer. The potions described in it aren’t just liquid and effect, these are detailed curiosities with details on how they’re made, their containers, what they do, and more. If you want to move beyond potions as single use items like a bottle of 5 Hour Energy is supposed to be in the real world, this book restores the unique magic that potions were designed to replicate. Fully illustrated, this book is system neutral, but promises support for converting these magical elixirs to 5e, Pathfinder, Dungeon World, and even GURPS. If you need potions with details, history, and personality, this is a book likely to boost your flavor text in unexpected ways.

Crimson Terrain.jpg

Crimson Terrain from Crimson Terrain
  • END DATE: July 7, 2022 at 11:59am PDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG maps
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $75 for the complete collection of maps, assets, and an adventure
  • CROWDFUNDING ON: Backerkit Beta
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This is the first campaign I’ve covered from Backerkit, the new crowdfunding option. This one offers up 40 battle maps, thousands of terrain pieces, and atmosphere to create better encounters. Offered as printer-friendly and VTT versions, this purchase meets you where you play. The maps are varied with ocean, cave, fey, village, straight up dungeons, and elemental options. With the terrain pieces, you can customize the maps adding items into the room. In addition, they offer three 5e adventures to choose from; Riddlehouse Vol. 01, It's Tough to Be a God, or The Crimson Spire. If you need battle maps for your campaign plus an adventure, this Backerkit is worth a look.
Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I’m in on Savage Pathfinder Curse of the Crimson Throne and APG. I really like the implementation in general and adding the new classes edges is going to be great.
I don't have any interest in the game system, but I'm on the last section of Curse of the Crimson Throne in my 5e conversion. Its such a good story. I hope they do Shattered Star and then Return of the Runelords next.

I don't have any interest in the game system, but I'm on the last section of Curse of the Crimson Throne in my 5e conversion. Its such a good story. I hope they do Shattered Star and then Return of the Runelords next.
I’d love for them to do Mummy’s Mask or Iron Gods next myself. Mummy’s Mask would lend itself well to the pulpy action Savage Worlds does well. Iron Gods would give be able to leverage the multi genre nature of the SW system.

In my heart of hearts I’d really like to see the license expanded to Starfinder.

I’d love for them to do Mummy’s Mask or Iron Gods next myself. Mummy’s Mask would lend itself well to the pulpy action Savage Worlds does well. Iron Gods would give be able to leverage the multi genre nature of the SW system.

In my heart of hearts I’d really like to see the license expanded to Starfinder.
I agree with everything in this post lol. The Kickstarter itself is a bit too expensive for me to get everything, but I’m in for the APG.

UlissesSpiele

Villager
That would be an interesting option for us as well. Starfinder is a little undervalued by the German community and might suffer from the fact that we have a lot of the competition in the scifi field (ALIEN, Dune, Star Wars, WH Wrath&Glory, Battletech in German are all with Ulisses Spiele, as are Pathfinder, Starfinder and Savage Worlds), including our own "TORG Eternity" (Pan Pacifica crowdfunding recently finished on Kickstarter) and "Fading Suns" (Lost Worlds coming to Kickstarter next week, July 7th)

We have just started SavagePathfinder & (Rise of the Runelords) "Erwachen der Runenherrscher" as a GameOnTableTop crowdfunding yesterday and funded during the first hour of our KickOff-Stream on Twitch, so we hope for SavagePathfinder to become a successfull franchise in both German and English in the next years.

Remove ads

Remove ads