RPG Crowdfunding News – Venture Society, Gateway To Adventure, Beacon, and more

This week I look at projects that end between October 13 to 20. Some original systems, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Powered by the Apocalypse, OSR Powered by Polymorph, 5e, and more. If you’re looking for a variety pack sampler of what’s available through crowdfunding, this week will give you a taste.

Venture Society Roleplaying Game.jpg

Venture Society Roleplaying Game from 9th Level Games
  • END DATE: Thu, October 13 2022 5:30 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Powered by Polymorph
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $60 + S/H for the physical boxed set plus PDFs and VTT pack
  • ADDITIONAL REPORTING: I interviewed Heather O’Neill of 9th Level Games here
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? An all-ages RPG designed by educators that utilizes a fun gaming system to keep young players engaged? Yes, sign me up. I’m a big fan of all-ages games (my first EN World column was reviews of all-ages RPGs) and I’ve written about my love of games that use the Polymorph engine (here), so Venture Society is on my list of games to check out. You play as animals going on adventures. The system defines each character through a single polyhedral as you roll against different charts. This non-violent RPG lets the players work on communicating and building their social and emotional skillsets. If you’re looking for an RPG that incorporates real world SEL skills and gaming, this is worth checking out.

Beacon TTRPG.jpg

Beacon TTRPG from Pirate Gonzalez Games
  • END DATE: Thu, October 13 2022 8:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 for the PDF and POD discount coupon of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In a fantasy world, you are the light, the literal beacon society looks to when the Scourge attack. Using this system, you’ll defend that society, shining the light where it’s needed. This project is inspired by Lancer, D&D 4e, Powered by the Apocalypse, and Final Fantasy. It is rare that anyone wears their love of 4e, so hats off to the creators for showing some lo4e. If you’re interested in being a beacon, the campaign page has a link to a free playtest PDF.

Spectres of Brocken.jpg

Spectres of Brocken from ehronlime
  • END DATE: Thu, October 13 2022 12:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): “Inspired by the No Dice, No Masters system”
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: AU$45 + S/H for the PDFs and the softcover of the Book of Spectres of Brocken
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This RPG tells a specific sort of story, the kind that we read about in civil wars as friends trained together in academy only to end up on opposite sides of the war. In this case, the training and war both involve mechs and they change the dynamic as you must fight your friends. The game’s engine takes concepts from Avery Alder and Benjamin Rosenbaum’s Dream Askew and Dream Apart. However, instead of tokens, you spend words as prompts for your character’s actions. In addition, the game sites Meguey and Vincent Baker's Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands and Melody Watson's On Mighty Wheels as inspiration. If these games, how war impacts friendship, and mechs appeal to you, check out the campaign page for a PDF preview of the rules.

Cathedral of the Undying.jpg
Cathedral of the Undying from C. Aaron Kreader
  • END DATE: Thu, October 13 2022 8:50 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeon Crawl Classics
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $13 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Here’s the hook, this is a deadly adventure but the PCs will not die from it. Instead, a necromantic curse will keep them in the game. On a holiday celebrating the dead, a solar eclipse and a curse brings the worlds of the living and the dead into contact. If you’re a DCC fan, this 20-page level 5 adventure is designed for those looking for something different and dark for their DCC games.

Unnatural Selections.jpg

Unnatural Selections from Dandyline Games
  • END DATE: Fri, October 14 2022 8:39 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Mutant Crawl Classics and Dungeon Crawl Classics
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $30 + $12 S/H in the US for PDF and print versions of the documents
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Over 60 MCC and DCC monsters delivered in over 130 pages. Monsters for the game are always a great addition. What sets this project apart are its system since MCC and DCC monster compilations are rarer than, say, 5e, the fact that pages are pre-drilled intended for a three-ring binder, and the project uses a static cling cover. If you remember Dungeons & Dragons 2e three-ring binders of monsters, this recalls that innovation. As a GM, you can pull out the monsters you want to use that night eliminating flipping through a book repeatedly. This idea ups the utility of monster manuals, and is worth backing this project just for that.

Gateway To Adventure Trilogy For Old-School Essentials.jpg

Gateway To Adventure Trilogy For Old-School Essentials from Appendix N Entertainment
  • END DATE: Sat, October 15 2022 7:47 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSRs and Old-School Essentials
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebooks
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $80 + $15 S/H in the US for the PDF and print versions of all three books
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Need three OSR books with new gaming options? This campaign gives you the Class Compendium with multiple new classes and kinships to offer to your players. The Combat Conspectus gives rules for combat styles, maneuvers, and competition information. Finally, the Caster's Codex touches on new spells, new styles of magic, and more to make your OSR games unique. If you’re an OSR fan looking for more crunch, these may be the right books for your gaming table.

Kelios- the prophecy - A DnD 5e Apocalyptic setting and more.jpg

Kelios: the prophecy - A DnD 5e Apocalyptic setting and more from Kelios: the prophecy
  • END DATE: Wed, October 19 2022 6:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral and BlackSUN
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: CHF65 for the PDF and print versions of all three books
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Need a system neutral campaign setting inspired by The Witcher, The Dragon Prince, Shadow and Bone, and many more? How about a new ruleset? This RPG offers a setting and/or a new rule system to explore a world of 15 distinct fantasy driven nations. At its core are the Kelios: the prophecy Corebook, The BlackSUN System, and the Adventurer Book. The corebook is 250 pages of setting, races, classes, bestiary, and more. The BlackSUN rule system is covered in a separate book. Its open for use in this setting or any setting genre you’d enjoy. Check out the campaign page for a free preview PDF of the BlackSUN options.

SIDEQUEST Annual 1.jpg

SIDEQUEST Annual 1 from Icarus Games
  • END DATE: Thu, October 20 2022 9:57 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £45 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This project collects the first twelve issues worth of SIDEQUEST zines in a hardcover. You’ll get two classes (Ranger of the Wild and the Witch), eight subclasses, monsters, factions, adventures, locations, and more. If you’re a fan of 5e content and/or SIDEQUEST, this campaign is worth checking out to get these zines in a single physical book.

Exotic Equipment Perks.jpg

Exotic Equipment Perks from The Crit Academy
  • END DATE: Thu, October 20 2022 8:11 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In introducing the reason for this project, the campaign page calls the core 5e weapons and armor options “lackluster,” referencing the limited number of options and mechanical differences between the different choices. With Exotic Equipment Perks, The Crit Academy looks to boost the player’s options. If your character is proficient with a specific weapon, then they gain additional benefits. This book offers 36 new weapon perks, 16 new armor perks, and some exotic options for each. If adding new combat options interests you, the campaign page has a free PDF sample.

Touched by the Gods Roleplaying Game.jpg
Touched by the Gods Roleplaying Game from Cosy Coven
  • END DATE: Thu, October 13 2022 5:59 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Year Zero Engine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $88 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the corebook, GM screen, cards, dice, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In this fantasy RPG you’ll find a world covered in the Wild, a never ending forest. Within this wildness, you have been given a shard of a gods’ power, you are a power but it’s causing you to lose yourself. Using the Year Zero Engine, this RPG promises a unique fantasy world and Slavic based mythology to enjoy.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Last edited:

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I was excited about Venture Society until I got to the “non combat” part. I play frequently with kids ages 6-10 and they LOVE the combat. We talk about “defeating” enemies, and humanoids frequently surrender, run away, or get knocked out instead of killed, but they love it. (One of my players is a sweet, quiet, 10 year old girl who is almost disturbingly bloodthirsty and merciless, but aside from that…)

I can’t imagine they would be happy with a replacement that didn’t let them battle. Maybe if they had never been introduced to combat RPGs it would be different.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Touched by the Gods has what looks like a different game's image?

Couple other cool things but man I'm tapped out after Dungeon Delver and the Weird...

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases