RPG Print News – Mongoose, Modiphius, River Horse, and More

Monsters on cards and stand ups in fairly expensive faux leather binders for D&D. There is also support for both Iron Kingdoms and Ptolus, some of which works with both 5E and 3E as well as other rule sets. Traveller - Core Rulebook Update 2022 gets an update that brings ship building back to the core rules and you can finally play Gelflings in The Dark Crystal. Root gets dice and GM support...

Monsters on cards and stand ups in fairly expensive faux leather binders for D&D. There is also support for both Iron Kingdoms and Ptolus, some of which works with both 5E and 3E as well as other rule sets. Traveller - Core Rulebook Update 2022 gets an update that brings ship building back to the core rules and you can finally play Gelflings in The Dark Crystal. Root gets dice and GM support. The Troubleshooters sounds like Saturday morning cartoon fun (this one in particular really tempts me). And last but not least is Tiny Cthulhu for when big Cthulhu just freaks you out a bit too much. I do like the noir option for this one.

74 tos core pack.JPG
74 tos tome.JPG

Note: RPG Print News covers new RPG releases and some classics, reprints, and sales available from retailers. It does not cover products that are only available to customers through kickstarter or as print on demand.

Core Pack I | Core Pack II | Core Pack III | NPCs & Familiars | Core Pack I - Cards Only | Core Pack II - Cards Only | Core Pack III - Cards Only | NPCs & Familiars - Cards Only | Tome – Ebony color | Tome - Royal color by | Tome of Summoning
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: cards and paper monster tokens
  • RETAIL PRICE: $45 each/$25 each for just the cards/$65 for a binder
  • DESCRIPTION: Core Pack I includes 50 illustrated reference cards and 238 paper minis of commonly used lower-level creatures. Core Pack II of 50 reference cards and 160 paper covers the most commonly used mid-level creatures. High-level creatures are included in Core Pack III which has 50 reference cards and over 101 big paper miniatures. NPCs & Familiars has 50 reference cards and 225 paper miniatures of NPCs and familiars. The handmade studded leather Tome is a 1 inch three-ring binder of artificial polyurethane leather that includes 25 horizontal pocket pages (8 pockets per page) with cards not included.
74 traveller.JPG
Traveller - Core Rulebook Update 2022 by Mongoose Publishing
  • SYSTEM: 2d6 system
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover core rulebook
  • RETAIL PRICE: $59.99
  • DESCRIPTION: PCs are Travellers, exploring space via jump drive. Each hex on the map represents one parsec and jump drives move a ship a number of parsecs equal to the drive. While not instant, courier ships deliver system-to-system communications. Contact has been made with several alien species and some are willing to work alongside humans although conflicts flare up as well. Campaigns can be based on trade, military, exploration, or a little bit of everything. An entire chapter covers small scale trading, planet-to-planet. Ship design is also back in this updated version.
74 dark crystal.JPG

Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal Adventure Game by River Horse
  • SYSTEM: unique
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover core rulebook
  • RETAIL PRICE: $45
  • DESCRIPTION: PCs play Gelfling characters and venture into the unique world of Thra. Includes three ribbons to mark important section, a 200-page adventure, and transparent overlay pages with hidden information.
74 root faction dice.JPG
74 root gm screen.JPG

Faction Dice Set (14) - Root - The Roleplaying Game | GM Screen & Campaign Notebooks | GM Screen only by Magpie Games
  • SYSTEM: Root - The Roleplaying Game (Powered by the Apocalypse)
  • PRODUCT TYPE: 14 dice/screen and notebooks/screen only
  • RETAIL PRICE: $24.99/$24.99/$14
  • DESCRIPTION: Root: The Roleplaying Game is based on Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right board game by Leder Games. PCs are vagabonds, individual outlaws fighting for money, justice, and freedom. The Faction Dice Set contains one pair of engraved six-sided dice for each of the seven different factions of the Woodland (cannot be used with Root: A Game of Woodland Might & Right). The GM Screen is trifold with each fold roughly 8x8 inches for a total length of 24 inches. The Woodland & Clearing Notepads are two distinct 8x8 inches notepads with pull-off sheets for campaign tracking. The clearing pad comes with 50 individual double-sided sheets while the Woodland pad comes with 30 double-sided sheets.
74 the troubleshooters (both).JPG

The Troubleshooters RPG: Core Rulebook | The Troubleshooters RPG: The U-Boat Mystery by Modiphius
  • SYSTEM: Basic Roleplaying
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover core rules and adventure
  • RETAIL PRICE: $48/$29
  • DESCRIPTION: The PDF version can be retrieved by a unique code included inside each book. The Troubleshooters is an action-adventure roleplaying game of international mystery. This RPG is based on European fiction but it reminds me of the Johnny Quest cartoon. I’m really tempted to get this one; it sounds amazing and is backed by BRP. Set in the mid-1960s in a world with mysterious temples hidden in the jungles, valleys that time forgot, mad scientists, space stations, spies with super gadgets and villainous organizations scheming for world control, the PCs live adventurous lives all over the world. No matter if it is a hunt for lost treasure, helping someone to get their inheritance, stopping spies from stealing military secrets, or foiling The Octopus' evil plans for world domination, PCs go on adventures. Requires six-sided dice and percentile dice to play. The U-Boat Mystery is an adventure for 3-5 players. The kidnapping of journalist Pierre Martin in Paris seems to be connected to a marine expedition to the island kingdom Sitomeyang on the other side of the globe. Clues point to the mysterious organization The Octopus, whose tentacles reaches everywhere. Only a band of intrepid troubleshooters can find out how all of the trouble is connected and solve the U-Boat mystery.
74 tiny cthulhu.JPG

Tiny Cthulhu RPG: Rulebook by Gallant Knight Games
  • SYSTEM: TinyD6
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover core rules
  • RETAIL PRICE: $24.99
  • DESCRIPTION: PCs are investigators, doomed heroes, and classic cosmic horror characters of all types, from scientists and librarians, to WWI veterans, to mysterious guardians defending the world from the dark powers of chthonic entities. The game delves into the unknowable and horrible mysteries of classic Mythos stories inspired by the works of Chambers, Lovecraft and more. Features a myriad of settings throughout the world and history, ranging from prehistory to the Bronze Age, Age of Sail, World War 1, modern day, as well as fantasy and the science fiction future. Rules include: minimalist Corruption rules focused on aiding storytelling, enemies, Environment Traits to aid the otherworldly storytelling, rules for magic and tomes, support for Pulp-style storytelling, support for Noir-style storytelling, and gadgets, steampunk themes and more. Noir-style sounds really interesting to me.
74 legend witchfire cards.JPG

74 legend witchfire tiles.JPG

Legend of the Witchfire Gridded Battle Tiles | Legend of the Witchfire NPC & Monster Cards by Privateer Press
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition, Iron Kingdoms - Requiem
  • PRODUCT TYPE: tile set for use with miniatures
  • RETAIL PRICE: $19.95/$9.95
  • DESCRIPTION: Over 20 years ago the Iron Kingdoms debuted for D&D 3E introducing full metal fantasy via steam jacks and pistols. It has now been updated for D&D 5E although the tile set works with any RPG. The cards include 5E stats. Both support the adventure Legend of the Witchfire.
74 ptolus gm screen.JPG

Ptolus GM Screen by Monte Cook Games
  • SYSTEM: system-neutral Ptolus
  • PRODUCT TYPE: GM screen
  • RETAIL PRICE: $17.99
  • DESCRIPTION: Includes notable groups and characters, encounters, details of Delver’s Square, travel and provisioning options, and other info. The reverse side features Ptolus artwork. The four-panel Ptolus GM Screen is printed in landscape format on heavy game board. The information is system-neutral, making it equally useful to GMs of 5E, the Cypher System, and GMs using D&D 3E).

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Toriel

Explorer
I have the Troubleshooters game. If you like Belgian comics, you will love this. You can create characters and adventures in the style of Tintin, Spirou and Fantasio, or Blake and Mortimer.

Your character sheet takes the form of a passport and the artwork really captures the style of the comics. It is an excellent product.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
The Dark Crystal rpg was something I would have mowed a hundred lawns for as a kid. 9 year old me home brewed the Gelfling race.

I'm 50 50 on it now. But I like the trend of single book RPGs of old 80s movies (Labrinth being the other recent example).
I picked this up the other day, and it is a beautiful book. If I get time, I might post an informal read-through review shortly.

I have the Troubleshooters game. If you like Belgian comics, you will love this. You can create characters and adventures in the style of Tintin, Spirou and Fantasio, or Blake and Mortimer.

Your character sheet takes the form of a passport and the artwork really captures the style of the comics. It is an excellent product.

I haven't read Belgian comics. Is there anything else it compares to? The game sounds great.

Kannik

Hero
Chiming in to also praise the Troubleshooters. The system is solid enough with some nice mechanical nods that provide support towards playing and creating these types of stories, and the game itself is a beaut, with art and layout that match the feel and flavour of the genre it is evoking. I'm itching to play some games. :)

Are these all available now? I’m looking for a hardcover of Traveller, might as well get the newest one (if I can find it in Canada)

Remove ads

Remove ads