RPGs as Stories, or Board games?

Which tradition of D&D do you find most true in your games?

• Our group prefers the Wargaming/Boardgaming style.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Our group prefers a more story-first style.

Votes: 89 74.2%

In dealing with a player problem in one of the games I'm running, I started thinking about the evolution of RPG games such as D&D, and from what tradition that arose. I realized that there are two pedigrees which modern games can claim, yet in some ways they are completely incompatible.

The first is the familiar evolution from Wargaming- Chainmail to OD&D, to the present.. Each step was along a path that presented new and more interesting rules to play with, new ways of resolving problems and new encounters, as well as new ways of dealing with them, and balancing them..

Or Gaming as an interactive story- The second path to modern RPG games that we have is that of inter-active story telling. As one RPG once put it (I believe), RPGs can be thought of as the Cops and Robbers games that kids used to play, with a few rules thrown in to solve the "I got you!" "No you didn't!" problem. Parents have been telling their children interactive stories ("I want to be a princess tonight!") for generations, and in many ways RPG games owe a great deal to this tradition.

The hard part is expectations. If your players are looking for one sort of game, and you are delivering the second. Neither method is "Good" or "Bad", but that are fundamentally different.

With a Wargame-derived mindset, a board game mindset, the player looks at the game, and asks, "What can I do?", what does this game allow my character to work on, what does it allow him to pull off? D&D is almost like a grown-up version of Heroquest, where there are unlimited boards, because they exist in the mind of the GM. Each player knows what he can do, and what each other player can do, including the GM. While the GM may have flexibility, he is, essentially, another player in the game. His monsters need to follow consistent rules, which are mapped out in the Rules packet (or PHB).

In the story-teller mindset, the GM is trying to tell a story with the players. Not just recite his own ideas, or his own novel, but craft something together that everyone can enjoy as a story they can share. He may look at the game mechanics as a "best mapping" from what's in their collective heads, to what's what's on the table, as a way of trying to add some rules and fun to the story-telling.

This is one of the places that the appeal of "Rules-lite" games derives from, and the argument that 2nd edition is more fun than 3rd.

Rules-lite games allow the GM and the players to concentrate on the story. They don't want to feel constrained by the game mechanics, to have them get in the way. They don't want the story to be forced in a direction by what's written in a player's book.
I've been quoted as saying that I never want the rules to get in the way of the story- What I mean by that is that if I want the story to go a certain way, and the rules won't allow it, then it's the rules that should change or be ignored, not the story.
I'm not a mean GM, and I hope I'm not a bad GM. But I think that the story, and all of the player's interpretations of it, are what's crucial. It's not me trying to recite a novel, but trying to build something together, an experience that we can all take part in, and built upon that is greater than any of us.

This would not go over well with players who are of the Wargaming tradition. They look at the story as something important and crucial, sure, as long as it doesn't get int he way of the rules. Stories that work entirely within these rules.. Perhaps one outgrowth of this is Eberron- What sort of world would grow up as a consequence of these rules? While this still requires creativity, the creativity is often placed differently.. The GM might look and say "How will changing this rule affect my continent", rather than "How do I want my continent to change."
Again, I must assert that I feel both ways of looking at the rules are valid, but more different than I had originally understood.

I've seen great arguments about this, from people who perhaps were looking at their arguments from too concrete a level. "I hate 3rd edition" they would say, or "3rd edition feels like Magic:The Gathering". I believe that this is, inherently, because 3rd edition tends to be more popular with a more modern game style, with gamers who are used to board games, and so gravitate toward the D&D as a board-game model... Give each group a carefully balanced number of encounters, according to ECL so that they can level every 12 enounters, and get treasure according to the DMG, etc. They look at it as a "beat the monster, go to the next" style of game, almost like a video-game, rather than an interactive story. While that's a valid game style, and fun for some people, there's nothing in 3.x preventing it, it's just that some people get caught up on expectations.

In the end, I think expectations are exactly what it comes down to. What do your players expect out of the game. If they want to play Players-versus-GM, or runt hrough monsters like in a game, if they want to craft a story, that they can all take part in, occasionally taking a glance at the rules, or if they want to try to do both.

I've played numerous games of both traditions- In extream case, we had players in one game using 3 different systems, for different characters, in the same game. No one cared, we barely touched our sheets in 5 years of playing. But we had fun. Buckets of fun.

In another, we used a hex map, and tried to make sure we had a feat or rule for everything that occurred. We, the players, knew that we had a great deal more control.. We could easily predict what would happen. If something got thrown at us, we could feel survivable, because we could could count that it's 4 squares away, and large, so it can't hit us from there, so The Fighter, who has more HP that it can do each round, can attack, etc...
We knew what we were up against, we knew the rules, and we also had fun. But in a different way. It felt more like a complex board game, than an interactive story.

One more anecdote, before I close. At the last Boston Game Day, I played in two games, which I found reflected the two styles perfectly, while both using D20 rules.
The first was Piratecat's pulpy-action game. We played the game on couches, with no battle map, and rolled a few dice occasionally. We were excited, cheering eachother on, and getting into the characters and the story. We really got a chance to Grin and have fun with the game, while Pkitty worked to keep the mechanics from slowing anything down. He kept the pace light and fast, and I loved it. Best game I'd played in months. Kemrain, whom I was there with, thought it was too unpredictable.

Downstairs, we played a Ravenloft game. While it was still a fun game, and we eventually won, we had two self-avowed "crunchkins" in the game, who were power-gaming every single attack. Lining up each figure for flanking, lining up every shot for a perfect strike.. We played with a battle-map, we played with every rule, and we got about half as much done. While we did eventually finish the game, it wasn't nearly as enjoyable for me.. I felt like we were doing well mathematically, but the game lost it's flavor, and it's fun. It became a game about the numbers, more than the characters. Kemrain loved it. Kemrain thought it was a great game, because we did an amazing job in defeating the bad-guys perfectly, used meta-tactics to their strongest, and (ab)using the system.

Kemrain and I enjoy different styles of play ;)

While I know that all games have story (even 'simple' dungeon delves), and all games have rules (even freeform games have implied rules), I truly believe players come down on one side of this division or the other. The simple version of the question comes to, Do you look at the Rules, and see how story can be done within them, or do you imagine a story, and see how the rules can best support it?

I'd like to hear from the gamers at ENworld, and see which way you tend to view the game, and to hear responses to this analysis of lineage and playstyle. While I know that everyone is going to want to say "It's in the middle!", try to see which side you come down on more.. It's far too easy to discount the difference by claiming everything is both No and Yes. ;)

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
I answered Wargaming as that's how we approach combat, but that's only half the story.

Outside of combat, we are a story first group. When we slow down to bullet time as it were, its digital maps and hundreds of minis and tactics, tactics, tactics.

I'd like to think it's a balance in that sense between both.

Ryltar

First Post
Ditto Steel_Wind concerning the balance aspect, though my group is gravitating more and more towards the "storytelling" approach (even in battles), so I voted for that.

Wish I could vote twice, since you ask about our gaming groups. I'm in two--one very minis- and tactics-centered, the other very story-centered.

If I were to vote based on my own preferences (which, in fact, I did) story all the way. I love a good combat, but I hate when tactics and battlemaps take over the entire session. I feel combat should serve the story, not the other way around, and minis/battlemaps should be brought out only when a fight is simply too complex to play narratively.

Ryltar

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I love a good combat, but I hate when tactics and battlemaps take over the entire session. I feel combat should serve the story, not the other way around, and minis/battlemaps should be brought out only when a fight is simply too complex to play narratively.

You nailed it, man.

Bront

The man with the probe
3E has a lot of wargame crunch in it, but I've actualy found that combat tends to flow better in it, and there tends to be more character flavor in it.

However, I chose the stroy driven, as I feel that even combat is story driven, and if done right, you can have great story drama occure in combat. Remember, not every combat is about fighting to kill the opponent, I've been in a few where we were trying to get through something, and the objective was more to avoid getting killed and get out than to truely fight.

ThoughtBubble

First Post
Currently running one game, and playing in another.

The one I'm running is part story, part fun interaction.
The one I'm playing in is mostly hanging out as a group.

Funnily enough, I was in the middle of a long conversation between my DM (very on the rules are the basis of the game side) and someone who will be in a small game that I'll be running soon (Very in the story camp). In short, aside from a lot of "You don't get it" the main resolution was that games should be fun for everyone involved. :D

I'm still somewhere in the middle.

Thanee

First Post
I'd say a bit of both. We enjoy both story and tactical combat, but even in combat, the characters' roles and quirks are important, of course, so maybe it's a bit more leaning towards the story side of things. :)

Bye
Thanee

zeo_evil

First Post
It has always been epic drama and storytelling in campaigns I have run.

Having just finished playing about four hours ago I will illustrate. The party had to decide whether to infiltrate the evil lich's tomb to steal her phylactery (which happens to be the Heart if Darkness mentioned in the Dark of the War book in the Hellbound boxed set for those who know) in order to keep it from falling into the hands of demons and yugoloths who could use it to create a super race of powerful fiends while it is being attacked by said demons and yugoloths and being defended by the lich's poweful minions thus aiding the powerful evil minions. Or to go to the Darklight in the Abyss where they will be shrouded in darkness to destroy the item the above demons and yugoloths would use to create the above fiends knowing it would be well-defended and that doing so would probably make keeping the phylactery from getting into the hands of the demons and yugoloths impossible thus giving them a powerful tool in strengthening the yugoloth race (respect). It was an agonizing decision based on alignments and party dynamics. The gold dwarf rogue has sworn to find the Heart of Darkness and destroy it. The human cleric of Isis even thought the Heart of Darkness was the thing to do. The warden archon, the swashbuckler, and the battle sorcerer however outvoted the other two and they all went to the Abyss. Now the cleric and the sorcerer are unable to aid the party in the journey to the lich's tomb (out of spells). So the others are going to find two replacements and go for it.

The moral to this long-winded post is that the story drives the decisions but it always ends up in insane battles that are intense, tactical, and above all, fun as hell.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I voted for the second because that's personally the direction in which I (slightly) lean, but I don't think the question is all that valid.

I play roleplaying games because of the stories which arise from the characters' beliefs, goals, motivations and experiences - yet at the same time, I derive great pleasure from the game we play to follow these stories through. I think it's more fun, frankly, when a story doesn't go exactly the way you imagined it would when you sat down to the gaming table - the DM's expectations for the story will clash with those of each individual player, and the players' with each other, and the game both spices up the resolution of this conflict and helps resolve it fairly.

I don't believe it's an either/or proposition. For some players, yes, one side or another of the game is more attractive. But they're complementary - in varying degrees for different people - not opposed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases