Rules for a Successful PBP

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm sure this has come up before (so if you have a link I'd like to see it) but I'm considering running a game here and want to know: What do you all think contributes to running a successful play-by-post game? I'd like to hear what you have to say about all aspects of running a good pbp game, from recruiting to posting, necessary rules modifications (especially concerning combats), any ideas about every aspect of running a game here.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Keep things moving.

I don't think you need any specific rules mods (I play pretty much by the book), but don't be afraid to post actions for a character who hasn't responded for a while. Maps are *extremely* useful for running any kind of complex combat, otherwise its very easy to forget who is where, fighting what, over the course of a PbP fight.

In fact, take that and run with it - it's extremely easy to forget who, what and why for everything with the extended time course. Keep each individual adventure quite short and simple, and you'll keep interest up. Example: I've seen a few attempts to run Shackled City on these boards, but as soon as they get to Jzadirune (big dungeon crawl), the game stalls. I'm impressed by Strahd for maintaining not only Temple of Elemental Evil but also Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

Useful housekeeping tip:
Reserve the first couple of posts in your OOC thread so that you can add in NPCs, treasure found and other details as they come up.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Also: Have a Rogues Gallery, and link to it in your sig.

People won't always have access to their sheet when they post, and the RG thread will fall off the forum in a matter of weeks. Keeping it linked in your sig means no one ever is without their sheet.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
We as players have a thread to link our own characters. did you know that? look at my sig for an example.

Theroc

First Post
We as players have a thread to link our own characters. did you know that? look at my sig for an example.

I only have a threadlink to my Living Characters, none from the talking the talk forum. I LOVE when my DM's put the games in their sig, or in the first post of the OOC area(if it's in use), so I can easily access the RG.

I would have done the whole signature thing for all characters... but I'm lazy and that would take quite awhile.

kinem

Adventurer
My advice:

- Establish up front how often you expect people to post. Establish a time limit for how long you will wait for combat posts before acting for the PC. In practice, acting for a PC sucks because it could lead to a major plot fork - does the PC cast sleep or fireball? Does he sound the retreat?

- Use a short adventure. PBP games take a long time and are liable to peter out before you get very far. OTOH, you can always go for a sequel if things are working well.

- Limit party size to 4 or 5. Having more players can provide the illusion of making things go faster because it's more likely that someone will post something on any given day. It will come back to haunt you when everyone has to post about something, such as in combat or when voting on a path. In the end, games with fewer players tend to get more done per day.

- The DM should make most rolls. That means that a player can roll on invisiblecastle if he wants and post the result, but otherwise you roll. Never ask players to roll something, like a saving throw or spot check, and post the results; you do it. In a face to face game it increases the sense of player participation; in PBP it just slows things down.

- For combat, don't roll initiative for each PC. Roll for the party as a whole, using their best init bonus, and for the NPCs as a whole. When it's the PCs' turn to act, whoever posts first acts first.

- Don't use many random encounters. Every encounter should either be relevant to the plot, or guarding some area, or else "cool" in some way such as making the PCs figure out how to deal with a new monster. If the module had a lot of random encounters, you may need to beef up the fixed encounters to compensate. Even fixed encounters in a module can be removed if they serve no purpose other than wearing down the party's resources; just beef up the interesting encounters.

- Don't give too much importance to any one PC. You never know who is going to leave the game. If you have a 'chosen one' PC and the player leaves, you'll be stuck. Also, other players will be rightly upset if you lavish attention and magic items on one PC. Doing so may be tempting because some people post more than others. Don't get into a long back-and-forth between a PC and an NPC while other PCs are left out.

- Don't use "DMPCs", which are NPCs who travel with the party and outshine the PCs. Players hate that. You might think it's easy to avoid, but that could change when players start dropping out, and you are left with ex-PCs who might be the only ones able to heal or cast fireballs. Get rid of XPCs ASAP, whenever it would make sense in context.

- Some PBP players are jerks. He will post normally one day. Then it's his turn to do something important. Then you wait a few days and there's been no new post from him. That's actually rather normal even for a "daily post" game, so you wait a few more days. You post OOC asking if he's around. Eventually you realize he's not coming back. Expect it. He's not dead; perhaps in a couple of months you'll see him post again, apologizing for not telling you what was up. If you take him back he'll post normally for a few months. Then he's gone AWOL again.

renau1g

First Post
- Some PBP players are jerks. He will post normally one day. Then it's his turn to do something important. Then you wait a few days and there's been no new post from him. That's actually rather normal even for a "daily post" game, so you wait a few more days. You post OOC asking if he's around. Eventually you realize he's not coming back. Expect it. He's not dead; perhaps in a couple of months you'll see him post again, apologizing for not telling you what was up. If you take him back he'll post normally for a few months. Then he's gone AWOL again.

:blush:

I think that you need to expect player attrition in PbP, I usually assume that about 1 player will drop in a short adventure. I've run 4 over in L4W and have had a player drop in each of them without warning. I also concur to remove them ASAP from the game. I usually allow one of the other PC's to control for the current battle (if it's in one).

One thing I've learned is to never take someone leaving personally as you don't know what's going on in their lives.

The others covered the main points, you need decent pace (like 1 post every 2 days at least), maps for combat (whether Maptools, excel, or ASCII) assuming you're running 3.xe, Pathfinder, or 4e where positioning is very important, one set of inits for players and enemies (increases swinginess, but helps the game tremendously), and cut out extraneous encounters. Each battle should be important or cool.

Theroc

First Post
I don't know of any concrete rules, but I'd also say it's a good idea to make sure the players know what to expect from you as as DM, as many DM's have differing styles and the like, so everyone begins on the same page, to avoid confusion or any potential player infighting. (Character infighting may not be a problem, but when players start fighting, it can get ugly). I'm sure that's mostly common sense though.

Remove ads