Rules Lite Yet Restrictive System for Tabletop Grotesque Tactics?

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I'd like to run a game set in the world of Grotesque as a tabletop game. The computer games use a highly restrictive setup: one kind of weapon and armor per "class", two accessory slots, skill trees where skills require mana to use, skills cost one point to raise, one skill point earned per level, and skills are often percentage based. This is not a world to be taken too seriously, as undeath works really weirdly, for one example. In fact, I'd classify the world as PG-13 to light-R. Also, when the party wins a fight, anyone who was defeated in that combat is automatically healed to full health and mana (as of Holy Avatar v. Maidens of the Dead).

Thanks in advance.

Razjah

Explorer
I think Basic Roleplaying by Chaosium may be something to look at. FATE Core may be good too, but it's not percentage based.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Your mention of Basic Roleplaying has actually given me a reason to hang on to my Mongoose Runequest 1st Edition books, at least the Player book. Additionally, percentages don't have to be done with percentile dice, but it helps.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'd like to run a game set in the world of Grotesque as a tabletop game. The computer games use a highly restrictive setup: one kind of weapon and armor per "class", two accessory slots, skill trees where skills require mana to use, skills cost one point to raise, one skill point earned per level, and skills are often percentage based. . .anyone who was defeated in that combat is automatically healed to full health and mana (as of Holy Avatar v. Maidens of the Dead).

I hope I watched the right trailer for it. But my first question is: why not just house rule some of your preferences into your favorite system?

- assign a weapon and suit to each class
- restrict inventory
- provide full heals after combat.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
DMMike, you watched the right trailer for the first game. The order is Evil Heroes, Dungeons & Donuts, Holy Avatar vs. Maidens of the Dead. The weirdness with undead mostly has to do with ghosts, but resurrection magic works just fine on zombies, though it "resurrects" them as zombies. Limiting a favored system could also work.

My favorite character is Sweet Violence, a scythe wielding, ice magic, voodoo zombie.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases