D&D 5E Sacrosant's sacrosanct guide to the most sacrosanct fighting styles

Sacrosanct

Legend
Disclaimer: Of course this is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. You will. It's the internet. And I'm open to adjusting based on other arguments. But this is my evaluation of the fighting styles in the PHB and various UA. Rating system:

Great
Good
Mediocre
Poor
Garbage
Edits after discussion in purple.

Archery: +2 to attack rolls with ranged weapons.
A really good fighting style for the ranged PC. In fact, a must have for archers. Combined with sharpshooter feat, and it helps nullify the penalty to get massive increase in damage. Also applies to more than just bows. Would be great, but is pretty situational.

Blessed Warrior (UA): learn 2 cantrips from cleric spell list. Paladin only. Get two cantrips? A hugely powerful fighting style for the paladin. Guidance anyone?

Blind Fighting (UA): unable to see target no longer imposes disadvantage Sounds cool (Shades of 80s Rutger Hauer). But rarely used in actual game play

Close quarters shooter (UA): when making ranged attack within 5ft, do not have disadvantage. Ignore half cover and ¾ cover against targets within 30ft. +1 bonus to attack rolls on ranged attacks Kind of a cross between archery style and sharpshooter feat benefits without needing to take the feat, but at a lesser bonus to hit and obviously missing the -5/+10 feature of sharpshooter. Still pretty good, especially for those non humans who can't have the option of taking sharpshooter before level 4. Gloom stalkers should have a style like this as almost mandatory.

Defense: +1 to AC when wearing armor Yes, I'm rating this garbage. Why? Because it's one of the few styles that don't scale. As you gain attacks, the other styles that give bonuses to hit or damage or other features apply to all attacks. Your +1 bonus here never changes, and at higher levels, an extra +1 just isn't that much of a difference. Yes, it applies to every attack against you, but that's about it's only saving grace. I'd houserule this to be a +1 bonus to AC for every attack action you get. Raising this one category based on feedback below. Still not a fan, but some folks find the value in it.

Druidic order (UA): learn 2 cantrips from druid list. Ranger only Similar to blessed warrior. Cantrips have a ton of utility, and are used often.

Dueling: +2 damage with melee weapon when only wielding one weapon in one hand I really like this feat. It's a must have for sword and board. One of my PCs has a spear and shield, using polearm mastery, and this fighting style. Very effective at dealing out damage on a consistent basis, and it applies to every attack.

Great Weapon Fighting: reroll 1 or 2 with 2-handed weapons On it's own, it's comparable to dueling. IIRC, the math I've seen comes out to an extra 1.1 points of damage per attack or something similar.

Interception (UA): When a creature you see within 5ft of you hits a target, use reaction to reduce damage by 1d10+prof bonus I like this much better than protection fighting style. Even at low levels, you're still reducing an average of 7.5 points of damage per round, and you can impact every attack this way. With protection, the attacker can still hit even with the disadvantage, and that would be full damage.

Mariner (UA): as long as not wearing heavy armor or shield, swim speed and climb speed equals normal speed and +1 bonus to AC Gives the same bonus as defense, and additional benefits. So it's an improvement, but still not a really good fighting style. Highly situational dependent. Good if you're a monk multiclass I suppose.

Protection: impose disadvantage on attacker attacking ally within 5ft of you, using reaction Similar to Interception, but less utility and not as effective. It's decent, but if you had the choice of either, I'd always choose Interception instead. I haven't run the math, but I'm guessing that this only begins to outpace Interception as far as damage reduction goes at high levels. Seeing as how most game play is not at high level, it's not as good.

Superior Technique (UA): Learn a battlemaster maneuver. D6 superiority die. Short rest recharge. Fighter only Gain a battlemaster maneuver as a champion that gets bonus crits? yes please. And since you can choose which maneuver to learn, a ton of flexibility with this one fighting style. If you haven't noticed, options that give you flexibility rate pretty high on my list. The limited number of times makes me drop this, as per discussion below.

Thrown Weapon Fighting (UA): +1 damage to thrown weapons +1 damage might not seem like a lot, but you also draw the weapon as part of an attack, and you can attack more than just once. For example, dueling is +2 damage, but that's just one attack while you can throw 2 daggers in the same round (1 attack, 1 bonus). The drawback is you are limited to ammunition carried.

Tunnel Fighter (UA): as bonus action, enter stance where you can make opportunity attack without using reaction, and use reaction to make melee attack against target that moves more than 5ft while within reach of you I know this can be situational, but I think it happens pretty often when combat has you close to more than one opponent. Being able to have unlimited attacks of opportunity would be enough for great as it is, but then you also can make an extra melee attack once per round as well? Pair this with polearm mastery and....ouch.

Two-weapon fighting: add ability modifier to bonus off hand attack Basically, getting a +3 bonus to damage for one attack per round on average (assuming your stat is decent; some will have only +2, others a +4, etc). That's not insignificant. It's more than dueling, but it's only ever to one attack per round.

Unarmed Fighting (UA): unarmed strikes do 1d6+str modifier. If both hands are free, damage is 1d8. When you start a grapple, deal 1d4 dmg and 1d4 added to each attack while grappled. For the record, I'm a fan of niche protection so I totally buy into the reason why they did this feat they way they did, not wanting to overshadow the monk, who is supposed to be the best an unarmed attacks. That said, this is still so situational I don't really see much value. If you're a fighter, why would you skip one of the above styles in favor for this? If you want to be good at unarmed combat, be a monk. Then you factor that this isn't finesse, so it eliminated all of those DEX based fighters. Who in their right mind, as a STR based fighter, would skip GWF or dueling in order to get this? Bueller? It would have to be highly situational and a very specific build (like a boxer).

Feel free to tear my arguments apart :)

Last edited:

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I would recommend adding an asterisk next to the UA fighting styles for clarity. Other than that... I don't really disagree with you.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I rate Defensive as one of the best for myself anyway.

Sure, it is only a +1 to AC when wearing armor, but AC is one of the harder things to raise IME, especially at a certain point. Meanwhile, bonuses to hit and damage are easy to come by. Finally, that bonus to AC applies to all attacks made against you, so if you get two or more foes with multiple attacks, it helps more.

I wouldn't rate it high if you don't want to, but I would certainly rate it above garbage. ;)

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Defensive style is a weird one and my perspective on it swings back and forth. I currently play a level 9 paladin with this style. As the game progresses to hit bonuses outscale any increases to AC from purchasing better armor. This is true even taking the defensive +1 AC into account. So in that regard it can be seen as not scaling very well.

However, because you can soak more from increased HP there are more chances for the +1 AC to matter. At the level I'm currently at it's almost a guarantee that my party members will be hit whereas for my character there's still a decent chance there will be a miss. So in a way it's still doing it's job of increasing survivability.

That being said I'd still trade it out for Blessed Warrior in a heartbeat. It's just super cool imo.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I find the two styles that give cantrips to the paladin and ranger are also only situationally useful, depending on the number of players at the table.

I had tables usually of 7 or 8 players, thus the need for more cantrips was non-existent. When you have 3 or 4 casters with cantrips already, adding another one or two from this fighting style is much more of a waste. Now if your party is only 4 players, of which maybe one is a caster? Then absolutely, having the paladin/ranger second PC get them too is great. But otherwise? The Archery, TWF or Duelist style is much more worthwhile.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I find the two styles that give cantrips to the paladin and ranger are also only situationally useful, depending on the number of players at the table.

I had tables usually of 7 or 8 players, thus the need for more cantrips was non-existent. When you have 3 or 4 casters with cantrips already, adding another one or two from this fighting style is much more of a waste. Now if your party is only 4 players, of which maybe one is a caster? Then absolutely, having the paladin/ranger second PC get them too is great. But otherwise? The Archery, TWF or Duelist style is much more worthwhile.

Even with larger parties where out of combat cantrips might not be needed as much, there are combat options that help out. The melee build paladin can use sacred flame to auto damage a target at range that level scales until melee can be reached. The ranger uses thorn whip to pull in a target, or poison spray to get those targets that close into melee when the ranger is an archer build, both of which also auto-damage level scale.

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,

Here's me:

Archery Green ftw. It's situational in that you only get the +2 when you used a ranged weapon, but for a 20th level archer, that situation occurs 4 times per round. It's the cornerstone of the sharpshooter fighter.

Blessed Warrior: Blue. Sure, this is great to have, but it's not very helpful as a fighting style.

Defense: Variable. If you're a multi-class, say, wizard, going into Fighter for the AC and Con proficiency, Defense is pretty much the only style worth taking, and it's one of the reasons you are happy to be here.

Druidic Warrior: Black. Not as good as Blessed Warrior.

Great Weapon Fighting: Black. It's ok, I guess. But it doesn't improve your weapon the way Dueling does.

Mariner: Variable, and better than Defense if your way of fighting allows it.

Protection: Orange. Interception is used after the attack hits, so is never wasted.

Superior Technique: Black. Maybe, maybe Blue. One use of one predetermined and unswappable technique per short rest? Not that flexible.

Thrown Weapon Fighting: Orange, maybe red. Throwing is a backup plan, never primary, so it's a small buff to something you plan to rarely do.

Tunnel Fighter: Green is fair overall. But in some campaigns it is less than Green. In others, it is better!

Two-weapon fighting: Black for most people. It's a good boost, but to a way of fighting that you still probably ought to avoid in favor of something better. Better for a rogue dipping.

Again, just me.

Anyway,

Ken

Remove ads