scaling an Animal backwards (?)

Dave G

First Post
Howdy,

I'm getting an animal companion, and I have to drop the written entry down in hit die for my character, so I guess it makes it a juvenile version. Can anyone tell me what changes with the addition of a hit die to an animal so I can extrapolate what changes with a subtraction?

I guess I need to figure out skill points to subtract, saving throw decreases and whether a stat change is warranted.

If it'll make this easier, I'm talking about the Monitor Lizard from the 3.5 MM and I need to make it roughly the equivalent to the wolf.

I don't have the MM or I'd reference this myself. Thanks!

(I have the stats from the 3.5 SRD if it would be helpful for this process to post them...)

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
As you have some SRD files, the Types, Subtypes and Abilities file gives you a good definition what animal HDs give.

In a nutshell, and somewhat quick and dirty, when you drop an animal HD, the creature loses 1 Skill rank, for every two HDs dropped, its Fort and Reflex save go down by 1, and for every three HDs dropped, it loses a feat and its Will save is reduced by 1. Theoretically, it could also suffer a -1 penalty to an ability score for every 4 HDs dropped. (Dire animals would drop their Will save by 1 every two HD, by the way).

At some point, it might be worth it to reduce the creatures size by 1 step, possible 1/2 HD. That should incur the reverse ability and armor adjustments for growing a size category.

It might be worth to recalculate all values for the downgraded creature, though, as the above process does not take everything into account.

Conaill

First Post
Everything you need is in the SRD, under "Improving Monsters".

Animals have a d8 hit die, BAB increases as cleric (HD x 3/4), Good Fort and Ref (which don't change between 2HD and 3HD), and 2+(Int mod) skill points/HD (minimum 1)

So if you decrease the Monitor Lizard by one HD, your BAB and skill points will drop by one. All creatures also have a number of feats equal to 1 + 1 per 3 HD, so you'd be losing either the Alertness or Great Fortitude feat.

Remove ads