Scheduling Thread for IRON DM 2014

Rune

Once A Fool
The time has come around again. Do you have what it takes to succeed in three grueling rounds of intense and competitive adventure-writing, in order to become this year's IRON DM?

What is IRON DM?

The founder says it best:

el-remmen said:
Simple. We get 8 people willing to play (and 3 alternates). I pair people off as competitors and give them a set of 6 "ingredients".

The ingredients are elements that must be used in the designing of a scenario/adventure - which should be written up in overview form - players can be as specific as they like - but detailed stat-blocks and the like are not weighed as heavily as uniqueness and playability of the ideas.

The results are then judged by me and the winner moves on to the next round. . .

Who are we?

This year's tournament will be presided over by a panel of three judges, these being two-time finalist and frequent judge, Radiating Gnome, sometime competitor and full-time ENworld administrator, Plane Sailing, and me, a once-frequent competitor, IRON DM Spring 2002, and a not-infrequent judge.

UPDATE-- Plane Sailing seems to have disappeared, so EN World and RBDM Club old-timer, phoamslinger, has stepped up to fill the role.

Who can enter?

Anyone! [MENTION=221]Wicht[/MENTION], as the current IRON DM, has automatic entry into this tournament. The field is open to everybody else!

So, I gotta ask:

Are you creative enough?

Are you disciplined enough?

Are you good enough?

Our contestants:

1: Wicht (IRON DM 2013, IRON DM FALL 2002)

2: Deuce Traveler (IRON DM 2012)

3: Iron Sky (IRON DM 2009)

4: UselessTriviaMan

5: Imhotepthewise

6: Waylander the Slayer (IRON DM 2011)

7: Gradine

8: MortalPlague

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
I will confirm my intentions to compete. :)

(fair warning - I will be out of country from January 18th - 31st and do not know that I will have internet connection...)

Rune

Once A Fool
So you're saying we should bump you in Round 2?

Seems a little harsh, but I guess it would be just like old times. :p

Rune

Once A Fool
It'll start as soon as we get eight contestants and can schedule the first match. Allowing for minor difficulties in scheduling, the first two rounds should each take about a week (with only half of the contestants competing in the second round).

For the two who compete in the final round, it'll be 48 hours, scheduled as soon as both contestants can swing it.

If you're on the fence about competing, let me assure you it is extraordinarily challenging, physically and creatively taxing (especially for those who advance), and ABSOLUTELY exhilarating and completely worth the investment of time and energy.

Even if you don't advance, you're sure to learn something you didn't know about yourself and the way you create adventures.

Also, it's fun.

Last edited:

Remove ads