Sell me on a good fantasy novel

Olive

Explorer
I've been struggling to enjoy 'traditional' fantasy for a few years now but perhaps because my D&D game is going well, it's an itch I'd like to scratch again. What's good?

I'm probably looking for more recent things here as I have read most older series - I've read GoT, Black Company, Mazalan etc. and some more recent things (Mistborn, Abecrombie, Rothfuss etc).

What does EN World recommend?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Originally had Rothfuss, missed you read him. Then Scott Lynch's "The Lies of Locke Lamora".

Olive

Explorer
Originally had Rothfuss, missed you read him. Then Scott Lynch's "The Lies of Locke Lamora".

Thanks! I've read Lynch too... I love that series. I loved The Name of the Wind too but was seriously let down but book 2 and since book 3 appears to be lost forever I don't usually recommend that. I think I'm mostly looking for things from the last 2-3 years or so.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
I'd recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's 'Curse of Chalion' (and the other novels set in the same universe/setting, if you liked the first).

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Perdido Street Station by China Miéville. It mixes genres, and plays with tropes and expectations. The city of New Crobuzon is a very inspirational setting for D&D games and Dragon mag had an issue based on that novel.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I imagine everything written by Brandon Sanderson, not just Mistborn, has been read?

Sabriel?

The BRoken Earth series by N.K. Jemisin?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases