Setting Witchfire Trilogy in Fading Suns

Skywalker

Adventurer
Let me first say that both IK and FS are IMO the best d20 purchases I have made. However as with everything I have only a limited amount of time to run games :( Last night I came up with the idea of adapting the Witchfire Trilogy to FS. It was a joke to begin with but the more I though about it the more it actually seemed to work. IK has many similar elements to FS.

Spoilers

Spoilers

Father Dumas remains a Church figure. The Witches were believed to be Antinomists (Oberon is one). The Inquisition is the Inquistion. Even Cyriss with its tech could be an old space hulk full of ancient tech orbiting a distant world lived on by the Swampies. Finally change the Skorne for Symbiots (Raelthorne has discovered a new jumpgate route hence the rush at the end). Even Steamjacks would seem to work being large meks that would be as rare as those in IK.

The only part I had difficulty converted the WF itself and the Sleeping Legion. I had an that Alexia was trying to clone her mother and her coven and needed a psychically charge relic to succeed in also bringing her soul into the new body. When this fails she resorts to even older technology of the Cyriss space hulk. Finally the Sleeping Legion is a "super soldier" clone bank. Cloning a human army isn't sufficient as the "super soldiers" are capable of resisting the Symbiot threat. Alexia's psychic ability is needed along with the relic.

I was thinking or relating in the Ur Obun as the original creaters of the combination of cloning and returing of the soul through Psychic ability.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

A2Z

Explorer
No suggestion but after reading that I want to go out and buy the FS RPG. :) I do own the Witchfire Trilogy and am about to run it. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes if you do this.

Skywalker

Adventurer
Cheers. I will let you know how it goes though it may be a little far off just yet. BTW Holistic Design has a good promo on their website if you want to know more about the setting. D20 FS was a great book and the book Aliens and Deviltry out this year should fill the Antinomist (the demon worshipper antagonist) that would be useful. Using d20 FS would be easier for the conversion than the original RPG as the stats for the most part could be transferred.

Some more details:

As I said most of the WF trilogy seems to fit into the setting perfectly. The use of Symbiots (a sentient organic virus) as the Skorne will explain how Raelthorne is able to infiltrate the planet and its Inquistion without alerting attention. The addition of a new jump gate route would work in the same finale (essentially trying to secure Corvis before the Skorne arrived so that the Imperial Army has time to get there) but increase the scope to all kinds of space battles as well.

I would put Alexia's mothers tomb on the same planet but I ilked the idea of putting the Cyris temple on another planet. As said the planet good be a back water occupied by the swampies and the Temple a massive decaying space hulk from ages past filled full of fanatic and heretical techno freaks.

As said I am just not sure how to fit in Alexia's role and the Witchfire. She is vital to the ending as it is her power alone that can raise the Sleeping Legion. The idea of undead seems a little (though not much out of the FS setting) though a strange mix of cloning and psychically weaving in souls may work. I need to read more FS background especially soul shards etc.

The thing that I really like about the cross over though is that it will canvas all main parts of the FS setting without much effort.

Antinomists (Oberon is and Witch Coven is suspected to be)
Ancient Technology (cloning and Cyris)
Psychics (ALexia and Witch Coven)
Church (Father Dumas and Alexia plus inquistion)
Guilds (all the underworld bits and the Mayor)
Noble houses (Raelthorne)
Ur Obun (creators of the "super soldier clones")
Jumpgates (new route and some travel)
Symbiots (a major antagonist)

Anyway

Last edited:

Remove ads