Slightly different Mind Blank question...

nhl_1997

First Post
... or at least I have yet to see any discussion on this particular aspect of mind blank.

Do any of you GMs out there rule that since mind blank "protects against all mind-affecting spells", heroism and greater heroism have no effect on someone who is warded by mind blank? Both of these spells are mind-affecting compulsions, so in theory, they cannot affect anyone with mind blank active.

Maybe that conclusion is automatic. However, from wording such as protects and "Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)" in the mind blank spell description, I get the feeling that the spell is designed to have only "good" effects without any inconvienent side-effects.

Thanee

First Post
Hmm... no, I would have it work against all of them, harmful or beneficial. The spell doesn't really mention conscious control, your mind is blanked out and such spells simply fail.

Bye
Thanee

Treebore

First Post
Not unless the familiar is unable to share the spell with its master. If they are both effected by the same spell I would say they stay connected.

Thanee

First Post
Generally I'd say, that your own spells/effects can affect you just fine, but outside influences cannot.

Bye
Thanee

nhl_1997

First Post
The mind blank description clearly states that the subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read thoughts or emotions. The empathic link with a familiar, in my opinion, falls under the "device" category, and it certainly allows thoughts and emotions to be detected.

I like the solution of having spells and effects from the mind blank caster not be affected. I was looking for a common sense or spirit-of-the-rules solution. This seems to work.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
nhl_1997 said:
The mind blank description clearly states that the subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read thoughts or emotions. The empathic link with a familiar, in my opinion, falls under the "device" category, and it certainly allows thoughts and emotions to be detected.
This depends on how you interpret the mechanics of the master/familiar bond. If you interpret it as an ongoing spell effect that allows each creature to read the others' thoughts, then yes, I can see how you'd rule that Mind Blank interrupts this magical exchange of thoughts.

Personally, I describe the master/familiar bond as a joining of spirits, which once initially created does not require continuous magical energy to sustain it. Similar to the way in which the magic that allows a golem to move is not suppressed in an Antimagic Field, I don't allow any magical effect to interrupt the master/familiar bond. Only death or the master's conscious rejection can do so.

But that's only my personal interpretation. :p

Patlin

Explorer
Thanee said:
Generally I'd say, that your own spells/effects can affect you just fine, but outside influences cannot.

Bye
Thanee

So my Psychic Warrior could cast schism with personal mind blank in effect? That wasn't my impression.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases