Sneak Attack Powers?

Xarlen

First Post
I have a PC wanting to be a Half Dragon Rogue. Now, I'm allowing this (The group is 8th level, it's fair). She's going to be the brother of a half dragon monk in the party, too.

Here's the Q. If you have a half dragon, and they Are a rogue... Does their sneak attack stack with the breath weapon, if done on a surprise round or when someone loses their Dex bonus?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Xarlen said:
If you have a half dragon, and they Are a rogue... Does their sneak attack stack with the breath weapon, if done on a surprise round or when someone loses their Dex bonus?
That's similar to the "weaponlike spells" rule in Tome & Blood:
Tome & Blood, p. 79:
"Any spell that requires an attack roll and deals damage functions as a weapon in certain respects. ... Such spells can inflict critical hits, can be used in sneak attacks, ..."
So I'd say no to the breath weapon gaining sneak attack bonuses - breath weapons are more like area attacks and don't require attack rolls... :cool:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
No. It doesn't even overlap - sneak attack doesn't apply. You need a targeted attack.

Just think - how would you explain hitting a vulnerable area to special effect when all you're doing is filling the whole area with fire/acid/cold?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Just think - how would you explain hitting a vulnerable area to special effect when all you're doing is filling the whole area with fire/acid/cold?

Even worse - if you're filling a whole area, how could you explain missing a vulnerable spot?

All the other rogues would laugh at you... :)

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hypersmurf said:
Even worse - if you're filling a whole area, how could you explain missing a vulnerable spot?

Of course, I said "to special effect."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Of course, I said "to special effect."

Yes, deliberately ignored it for the sake of the joke :)

If I hadn't, it might sound like I was supporting the idea of getting sneak attack damage, and then all the other rules lawyers would laugh at me!

-Hyp.

hong

WotC's bitch
Hypersmurf said:

Actually the rogues would probably know all about it. Very handy, that evasion ability....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases