So You're Just Not "Feeling It" for 5e - What ARE you excited about?

innerdude

Legend
So 2 years ago I pretty much hopped off the D&D bandwagon entirely - in any form, natural, retroclone, or otherwise. While a part of me is excited to see an actual D&D-branded RPG product in print that I could at least conceivably play, ultimately the chances of 5e garnering any at-the-table play in the next 2-3 years is almost nil. I'll probably pick up a PHB at some point, just to read through, but I'm hardly foaming-at-the-mouth to get it.

So, what ARE you excited about? Are there any new gaming products that have caught your fancy and you just want "more of it," and want it now? Any "new and shinies" that have your head abuzz?

• For me, I just picked up Burning Wheel Gold from Amazon, because a friend has been talking about trying it out, and I'm really excited to experience something different in a system than I'm used to.
  • I'm THRILLED beyond belief that The One Ring is FINALLY going to expand its scope to include stuff BESIDES the "Wilderlands" of Middle-Earth. Both the Rivendell and Player's Guidebook are near-certain purchases for me.
  • As soon as my wallet can reasonably handle purchasing the Interface Zero 2.0 campaign setting for Savage Worlds, it's a done deal.
  • As soon as our zombie apocalypse game ends, I'm definitely picking up the Savage Worlds Sci-Fi companion in both hardcover and PDF.

To say nothing of my ongoing love affair with the Lord of the Rings Living Card Game by Fantasy Flight.

So what about you, my fellow 5e-non-converts? What's got you salivating to get your hands on?

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'm not feeling 5e.

The thing that most interests me is the active homebrewing work I've been doing. I've been fleshing out my adaptation of GR's Psychic's Handbook for the modern 3.X age, and it is getting pretty presentable and to where it's starting to look like a complete and robust alternate magic system.

Moreover, given my lack of satisfaction with the published game, I've done some initial work on quantifying what my ideal D&D would be; putting together a basic framework and math and assumptions. Unlikely that I'll ever get so far as to write a complete game, but we'll see...

In the published world, the only new thing really on my radar is the Firefly rpg. There are a variety of extant Lovecraft-based games faintly on my radar.

Largely I'm okay with what I have and the things the market is providing aren't that compelling to me.

herrozerro

First Post
Around 2009 I had an experiance with savage worlds that almost turned me off the system for good. Later in 2010 I picked up the PDF of the deluxe rules and my gaming has forever been changed. While I still am open to D&D, I have fully embraced savage worlds as my goto game for good.

What I'm excited about? Wild Card Creator's next update will have the Super and Scifi Companions!

Good thread idea [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION] . Not interested in 5e for long term play. I may look into a modular set up for one off dungeon crawls but it doesn't excite me for that either at this point.

Given that my second 4e game has concluded, I'll be taking a bit of a break from that (even though I'm running a PBP single player game on here, I still consider that a break as it isn't the real deal in full tabletop form).

I'm looking forward to running a full time Mouse Guard game switched off with a current Dungeon World game and a smattering of Dogs in the Vineyard in between. I may be running the continuance of the PBP chamberlain/king/dragon situation, using Dungeon World instead of 4e, that we began at the end of last year for Campbell and pemerton if their schedules come together for it.

I don't really get "excited" about much of anything anymore, but I think that stuff should be enjoyable. Running games for good faith, high quality players in systems that masterfully push play toward their agenda and finding out what happens is always a treat

A

amerigoV

Savage Worlds!

I did play some Edge of Empire at Origins. Interesting (not super excited by the system by any means, but it did peak my interest).

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
So, what ARE you excited about? Are there any new gaming products that have caught your fancy and you just want "more of it," and want it now? Any "new and shinies" that have your head abuzz?

So what about you, my fellow 5e-non-converts? What's got you salivating to get your hands on?

Totally. I found an indie system that ditches alignment, attacks of opportunity, countless bonuses and bonus stacking, grids, and even the wizards-are-broken problem.

It puts more emphasis on roleplaying than roll playing, and lets players bend abilities, classes, settings, and magic spells to their needs.

It's not perfect, because it requires judgment calls by the GM, and some imagination from players. But what's really cool is that it's really easy to tack on your own rules - so I'm looking forward to the "new and shiny" game modules that I'll be writing to create specific experiences for my game groups.

And no, it's not 5E.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I'm looking forward to the HERO System's Fantasy Hero Complete. There's also been a nice looking spell companion come out. From the quick glance I've had it look's to have been done much more descriptive fluff text with the crunch taking a back seat, making it more appealing for me.

Going to try to convince my pathfinder game to move over to it once it comes out. I think it might be do-able since by the time the thing is out our Pathfinder game should be just over 10th level and the game should be spending so much time ground to a halt that people will be keen to try other things.

Greg K

Legend
Due to school and work, I have not gamed for a few months. However, in addition to what I, normally, run, I am looking forward to trying out: Cartoon Action Hour Season 3, Fate Core, Firefly, Icons: Revised, Supers!: Revised, and Warrior Rogue & Mage. I also want to try Leverage and Smallville (however, after seeing the awesomeness of the Firefly preview, my enthusiasm is just slightly diminished from where it was on these two). I also want to try Interface Zero 2.0 for Savage Worlds, but am waiting on the print copy that I won last year while the game was still in development.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've got no problems at all with what I hear about 5e. It sounds like it will be a fun game.

But, I'm already running two games, for two different groups. I really don't have time to run a third, so I have to wait for one game to end before I'm going to get to delve much into 5e, and then only if that group wants to do some traditional fantasy. And then, I'm going to be seeing it only from teh GM's perspective, not the players.

I get most enthusiastic for games when someone offers me a spot so I can play. I like FATE because someone invited me into a Dresden Files game, and another offered me a spot in a short Spirit of the Century campaign. I liked SWSE pretty well, because I was playing in a game with a decent story. Too bad the GM eventually turned into a big nozzle.

So, I'll be really interested in the next game I can *play* with regularity.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases