Something wicked this way comes!!!!

The Serge

First Post
Check this blurb from WotC's Dragon Magazine web-page.

October: Dragon 300
The next issue of Dragon Magazine presents a landmark in roleplaying publishing: Dragon Magazine issue #300! To celebrate the occasion, we're getting dark. Monte Cook discusses sex, drugs, torture, and cannibalism; we present some new spells that are so vile their section of the magazine must be sealed; dragons from Hell; official D&D templates for wights, wraiths, and mummies; and ecologies return with an in-depth look at the mummy.

Looks like WotC's giving the Book of Vile Darkness one hell of a push!

Dragons from Hell... <<droooollllll>>

:D

Maraxle

First Post
Ugh. It's issues like this that cause me to not subscribe. I wonder if they do it on purpose to keep getting the full cover price out of me.

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
(devil's advocate)

Reading that advertisement made me realize that the people who believe D&D encourages abberant behavior do have a case.

(/devil's advocate)

Maraxle

First Post
Having themed issues causes them to publish entire magazines filled with content which I will never use. I am not interested in running an evil campaign, or having "dragons from Hell" running around in my world. If the issues weren't themed, I would subscribe, because the odds of an entire issue being useless to me would be much lower.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Personally I see nothing wrong with themed mags. Hell, real world mags do the same when they put a huge splash cover and have half devoted to it.

Maraxle

First Post
Nightfall said:
Hell, real world mags do the same when they put a huge splash cover and have half devoted to it.
Exactly. "half devoted to it". Not 99.8% devoted to it, unlike what the themed Dragon mags seem to be.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Scribe Ineti said:
(devil's advocate)

Reading that advertisement made me realize that the people who believe D&D encourages abberant behavior do have a case.

(/devil's advocate)

Yeah, it makes the hobby harder to defend that's for sure.

GAMER: Gaming isn't evil!

LAYMAN: Hmmm. Well, tell me about this person you pretend to be.

GAMER: He's a half-fiend blackguard who is considering selling his soul to Asmodeous and ....

LAYMAN: Get the torches boys!

BG

PS: I like themed issues, but then I don't subscribe so picking and choosing which issues to buy is an option I have.

The Serge

First Post
The reason I don't mind the "themed" releases is because if I need to find something about Drow, or about castles, or about Fighters, it won't take me forever pouring through errata and magazines to find it.

I never know if the material will be of use later. IMC, I don't have halflings (I've never liked the furry-footed buggers), so I felt a bit strange buying the halfling themed Dragon Magazine that came out last year (and pictures of posing women do nothing for me, so the cover wasn't a draw either). However, upon flipping through the book, I saw some interesting material that I could apply to Kender or Gnomes.

But, that's just me

Remove ads