Soul steal: I need a little help with this one...

G'baal

First Post
Ok, before I can complete the Soul bane fiend I need to finish making his special ability...Soul steal. I need some suggestions on this one so that it is not too strong but also something to be feared. Anyways, here is what I was thinking...I was thinking something along the lines of Death knell but stronger. Instead of gaining +2 Str for a while perhaps something like +1 to any ability permanently or something. Basically, I want more out of it for a longer time (thus making this power unique from Death knell). You see, the Soul bane feeds off the souls of the dying, often roaming the world in search of dying creatures (using the spell-like ability of Deathwatch). If they find one that is nearly dead (-1 or less) they will attempt to use this power to grow stronger. Anyways...I leave it for a bit to collect suggestions and see what we can come up with. Think Death knell.

Priest

First Post
In legends and Lairs (Traps & Treachery I)

There is a spell Steal Body which might give an idea on how one could do this ability.

Steal Body
Transmutation
Level: Thievery 9
Components V, M
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Short (25 ft. +2 ft./level)
Target: One Being
Duration: Permanent
Saving throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance Yes

Steal Body allows the caster to transpose he mind and the mind of his target, this effect is perminant until and unless steal body is cast again.

So taking that basic Idea

Steal Soul (Sa): when a soul bane meets eye to eye (or if you like touches) its victim it can attempt to steal the immortal soul of a target. Those affected by the Soul Banes attempt must succeed at a Will Save (DC 25) or have there soul stolen by the "Harvester". A Character whose soul is stolen falls into sudden sleep from which he cannot be woken, eventually dieing a listless death. Only a Remove Curse, Wish, or Restoration can break the fatal slumber of a victim.

There is what I can think of at a quick sitting

Last edited:

G'baal

First Post
Its good, but I want to keep it a little more grim then that. I was seeing more like the Soul bane creeping about the world searching for those near death (-1 or less) and slaying them with soul steal much like Death knell. Remember one thing...the Soul bane is supposed to get stronger by feeding off the persons life force that it steals. Think Death knell.

G'baal

First Post
Personally, I was thinking that perhaps the Soul Bane could gain a number of permanent ability points to apply per HD of the creatures soul taken. That would make the Soul Bane something nasty. I was also thinking of implementing a possible point system, allowing the Soul Bane to increase and activate new abilities through collection of others life forces. Im not sure which one to go with yet...the one similair to Death Knell in a sense, is much quicker but may be too powerful while the point system would need to be created first. Which would you go for? Im kind of stuck.

Remove ads