SPiderman Homecoming (spoilers)

So I wont put any major spoilers in this opening thread, but I open up to anyone who saw it...

I liked it, a fun twist on the same basic spiderman story we have read/watched many times. It has strong themes, and a good premise...

My only real complaint is too much reliance on stark tech, and the same 'time line doesn't work' issue I had with civil war.

My online review is compiling as I write this, I'll link to it when it goes up... https://youtu.be/KA318U5SKtg

also show of hands who stayed for the second post credit scene...I did

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm not even sure I'm going to watch this on DVD. I thought the new spider man was extremely annoying in Civil War.

Am I getting too old for this?

ccs

41st lv DM
I liked it. Especially the 2nd end credit scene.:)

I especially liked Keaton as the villain.

I'm not familiar with your CW timeline complaint....

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I liked it. Especially the 2nd end credit scene.:)

I especially liked Keaton as the villain.

I'm not familiar with your CW timeline complaint....

8 years later statement - Avengers occurred in 2012, so Spiderman takes place in 2020?

I liked it, although I maybe watched too many trailers, so spoiled a number of scenes. I really liked the way Spiderman moved, it looked spidery too me. I also liked how he hung spider-like upside down from his web.

Keaton as vulture was great, a terrifying and credible sympathetic villain, the Liz relationship was also unexpected and good.

ccs

41st lv DM
8 years later statement - Avengers occurred in 2012, so Spiderman takes place in 2020?

Well, we watched Avengers in 2012.
Has it been stated in the film's what year that was though?
(Unless a movie comes right out & states a date, I never assume any given real world year)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Well, we watched Avengers in 2012.
Has it been stated in the film's what year that was though?
(Unless a movie comes right out & states a date, I never assume any given real world year)

yeah there's a master Timeline that Feige keeps and its generally taken that Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and the first Thor were all set during the same week in 2011 with the subsequent movies rolling out in order (except Guardians otG)

It's not a biggy, but I suppose there are some people for whom such things matter

ccs

41st lv DM
yeah there's a master Timeline that Feige keeps and its generally taken that Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and the first Thor were all set during the same week in 2011 with the subsequent movies rolling out in order (except Guardians otG)

It's not a biggy, but I suppose there are some people for whom such things matter

No. Stated on film. IN the actual movies we watch. I don't give a poo what's in Feiges head or his personal notes. If he doesn't put it on film, or have it put on film, it's nothing.

So if they haven't put an actual date on an event, then there's no reason to disagree with "8 years ago...."

The movie picks up few months after Civil War, placing the events of the film in 2016 and before the second and third acts of Doctor Strange and before the events of the fourth season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

Although Aaron Davis is mentioned to be 33 years old, and his criminal record states a birthdate of April 1984, which would set the rest of the movie in 2017 (present day).

The opening scene where Toomes is cleaning up the wreckage from the Battle of New York takes place eight years before the events of Homecoming. However, Homecoming is set two months after Civil War, which established that the Battle of New York (the Avengers' formation) happened four years before the events of Civil War, Additionally, Civil War establishes that its been 8 years since the events of the first Iron Man, making it impossible for Avengers to be set 8 years prior.

When Toomes breaks into the jet carrying all the tech from Avengers Tower, the Mark 42 suit is seen in the background, complete with all of it's battle damage from Iron Man 3. Considering that Tony had J.A.R.V.I.S. destroy the Mark 42 while he had Killian trapped inside it, it seems unusual and unlikely that Stark would rebuild the suit while intentionally incorporating the marks and damages it sustained beforehand.

Remove ads