damage reduction 20/+1, SR 21
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 9, Con -, Int - (see below), Wis 11, Cha 1
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 12-18 HD (Large); 19-33 HD (Huge)

Spiderstone golems, also known as obsidian golems, are the constructed servants of drow spellcasters. Each is inhabited by the spirit of an unknown tanar'ri servant of Lolth, ensuring that its use is not directed against Lolth or her servants.

Physically, this golem resembles a large statue of a four-armed drow carved out of gloss-black obsidian. When inactive, no signs of animation are apparent; when it activates, the golem's eyes glow a fiery red. It weighs about 1,000 lbs.

Combat:

Web (Ex): A spiderstone golem can spit a web eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets of up to Medium-size (see page 102 in the Player's Handbook for details on net attacks). The web anchors the target in place, allowing no movement. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check (DC 26) or burst the web with a successful Strength check (DC 32). Each 5-foot section has 12 hit points.

Wild (Ex): There is a small chance every week of a spiderstone golem going wild. If under a priest and in the service of the city of Lolth, the chance is only 1%. Otherwise, it varies from 5% to 100%, depending on what it's being used for - e.g., 5% if it's under a wizard in the service of Lolth, 50% if it's being used for guarding something of personal value to the master and of no use to Lolth, or 100% if it is being used directly against Lolth.

When under mortal control, a spiderstone golem has as much intelligence as other golems (though the presence of the tanar'ri overseer gives it an evil alignment). When a spiderstone golem goes wild, it becomes more cunning and intelligent, increasing its Intelligence score to 2. It always seeks to kill its master first, then follows the commands of Lolth. In this mode, the golem is capable of designing simple traps, maximizing its abilities fully.

Construct: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, disease, and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.

Magic Immunity (Ex): A spiderstone golem is immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects, except spells from the evocation school and divine spells cast by drow.

Spider Climb (Ex): The spiderstone golem can climb on stone surfaces as though using the spider climb spell.

Converted from Dragon Magazine #193 (Live Statues and Stone Men: Golems of the Underdark by John Power)

NOTES:

*By the conversion guidelines, its AC should have been 17 (20 - it's original AC of 3). However, this was lower than even a flesh golem. Upon reviewing second edition golems, none of the golems adhered to the conversion guidelines. Like the Spiderstone Golem, the Iron Golem also had an AC of 3 in 2E, but in 3E has an AC of 30. Therefore, I adjusted the spiderstone's accordingly.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Thanks! I'm working on the Brain Golem as we speak.

I don't know how you crank those conversions out so fast. That one took me almost all day! :eek:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
you're asking me right? well, that depends entirely on what the creature is. for example, the pleistocene animals i just did were relatively easy - you can have one done in less than an hour. those were mostly done by modifying stats from animals already in existence. some, like dragons, really do take all day! (that's why we get lazy about doing up dragons, LOL). i've only done a couple of golems, but yes those take some time as well. having similar creatures to work off of helps, because you can compare and contrast. the more complicated the creature, the more time it takes.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, I was asking you, since you seem to really churn out the quality conversions. I don't blame you guys for avoiding dragon conversions...I wouldn't want to tackle one!

Gish Makai

First Post
Shade said:
Yeah, I was asking you, since you seem to really churn out the quality conversions. I don't blame you guys for avoiding dragon conversions...I wouldn't want to tackle one!

I just wanna know Scott's formulae for the dragon conversion.

Krishnath

First Post
I'll second that...

On to the golem, very nice. This will come in handy later... Now If we could just get a conversion of the Brass Minotaur Golem... :D

Remove ads