Summon undead? What level to summon a Ghoul?

Arabesu

I'm not sure where these spell are printed, but I know that there are versions of Summon Monster I to IX that can summon undead. What source is that? Also, what level spell is required to summon a Ghoul or a Wight?

Thanks.

Arabesu

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Anyone else have a problem with these spells. They seem a little powerful to me. Sure they suck if you summon them against a group with a cleric, but level drain, paralyzaiton, etc that's some powerful stuff for spells of this level. Virtually all the undead(except maybelevel 1) are much more powerful than the summon monster counterparts except for their weakness v turning. And that isn't a big enough weakness IMO to offset there power.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
Anyone else have a problem with these spells. They seem a little powerful to me. Sure they suck if you summon them against a group with a cleric, but level drain, paralyzaiton, etc that's some powerful stuff for spells of this level. Virtually all the undead(except maybelevel 1) are much more powerful than the summon monster counterparts except for their weakness v turning. And that isn't a big enough weakness IMO to offset there power.

I don't know if they are too powerful. A 5th level character summoning 1 creature that isn't going to be able to hit a CR5 creature too often and has few HP isn't exactly game breaking.

I will say that they seem more powerful than the normal summon spells though.

--Contradictory Spikey

Crothian

First Post
I think they are okay. Ya, undead can be a bit difficult if one is not prepared. But most summoned monsters can fit that picture if your enemy is not prepared for them.

I think that's one of the purposes of the spell. To catch your opponent off gauerd by summoning something it is not ready to deal with.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Balance in MoF?!

'sides, this is Magic of Faerun we're talking about. I think throwing balance out the window was one of their design objectives. :rolleyes:

green slime

First Post
I think, that summoning a ghoul instead of letting lease a fireball or hasting the barbarian body guard is generally not that overwhelming. More likely runs the risk of underwhelming the party.

They (ghouls) have hardly any hit points (2d12, 13 hp), they can hardly hit anything, +3 IRC (remember this is against a 5th-6th level party)...

Granted, it might be a little bit more powerful than the "normal" summoning series, IF opposing party doesn't have anyone capable of turning...

Not really a spell that is going to cause a party of 4 5th-level characters to quake in their boots...

Last edited:

Remove ads