D&D 5E Tavern Tales

MakerCaker

First Post
Hello, everybody! I have put together this thread for the sole reason of hearing some of your D&D tales! I'd love it if, in the comments below, you all share some stories from past D&D games. They can be funny, serious, scary, any thing you want. I'd love to see what you guys have to say. Thanks! -MakerCaker

aco175

Legend
A long time ago in 2e days we were playing outside of Daggerford and had just set up camp for the night. A mysterious stranger with a wagon arrives and seeks to camp with the PCs for the night. He brought bacon and ale, so he was welcomed by all except the thief who suspected a trap. The merchant was being secretive with his wares in the wagon so the thief opens it in the middle of the night and finds a collection of books. All are about rare mushrooms and fungi. The disappointed player slams his PHB on the table and states, "You read this sh..!"

Still remember the look on his face 30 years later. The tension kept building and burst in his face.

Rhenny

Adventurer
When I was a teenager playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, we had a rule that we made up about rolling a 20 to hit. If we rolled a 20 to hit, we did double damage and we could roll again. If we rolled another 20, we tripled the damage and rolled again. If we rolled a third 20, the target died instantly.

I was playing a wizard and I think we were about 8th level. We were pretty beaten up and locked in an encounter with a T-Rex type creature with a rider. I didn't have many spells available so I just threw a dagger at the T-Rex....20, 20, 20! Everyone went wild as the dagger went into the creature's eye and killed it outright. It fell to the ground and the rider fell as well. I can't remember if the rider died or if we just finished him off, but that was a memorable event in our campaign.

Here's another one about how I actually started in my first campaign. -

A friend of mine told me that he was playing in someone's campaign. The DM was a few years older than I was and I didn't really know him. My friend told me to come to the DMs house and he'd introduce me and get me into the game. Well, I was a shy kid so when I went over to the house at about 8 or 9 ish at night, I saw that the house was dark, except for a light in one of the rooms on the 2nd floor in the back of the house. I assumed that that was the room they were playing in so I grabbed some pebbles and small sticks, and I tried to throw them up at the window to get anyone's attention. I must have spent nearly 30 minutes trying. Eventually, someone heard me and I got to join my first campaign. That was over 38 years ago. I ended up becoming really good friends with the DM and others in the group, and many of us are still friends today (even though we don't live near each other any more).

My Goliath Barbarian, Lo-Kag, had his brain sucked out by a Mind Flayer. It was hard to be upset because having your brain sucked out is a good way for a character to die. But nonetheless I didn't feel like playing anything else, and reluctantly rolled a dumb high-elf Eldritch Knight. During this new characters second round of combat, I rolled a natural 20. My DM has this crazy critical hit table he likes to use, and I get to roll a percentile. Boom! 100%. My DM flips through his charts and says, "You are granted one use of the Wish spell." Without hesitation I declare that Lo-Kag is brought back to life. Immediately the high-elf is transformed into a hulking Goliath, who proceeds to hack the living crap out of an Elder Brain.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases