RPG Evolution: That Time I Surprised My Players With Cthulhu

Years ago I ran a game of D20 Modern using D20 Call of Cthulhu/D20 Delta Green over three years that culminated in the characters facing down the apocalypse. I thought the campaign was successful...until I polled my players and realized they weren't happy with it. Here's what I learned.

Years ago I ran a game of D20 Modern using D20 Call of Cthulhu/D20 Delta Green over three years that culminated in the characters facing down the apocalypse. I thought the campaign was successful...until I polled my players and realized they weren't happy with it. Here's what I learned.

d20deltagreen.jpg
The Campaign

The basic campaign was a Majestic-12 style series of agents who were handpicked to defeat Lovecraftian threats. The establishing backstory put them through training in preparation for the horrors that would come, but it felt more like a superhero game or a secret agent game than a horror game. And initially at least, that's what the game was -- fighting terrorists while trying to keep their cover as regular citizens. You can read the entire story hour here.

It didn't last though, at least in part because I had always planned to introduce a grand Cthulhu-style arc. More and more supernatural elements crept in, our heroes' abilities increased as they got more powerful, and soon one of them was a psychic capable of bringing down entire buildings on bad guys. Their firepower increased accordingly. In the finale the heroes discovered that they were all masks of Nyarlathotep -- clones who were fated to rule the world -- and to avoid evil winning they self-destructed by aiming an orbital laser at themselves. I thought it was epic.

My players hated it. In fact, it was the last time I ever gamed with them. So what went wrong?

We Didn't Create a Social Contract First

Everyone in the campaign was a friend of mine for decades, so our play styles were well-established and they were comfortable with me as a game master. But that wasn't the problem -- or rather, that level of comfort is what enabled me to spring a Cthulhu-style game on them.

I never asked the players if they wanted to play a horror game. Call of Cthulhu had a bad rep with them as a game where "you go nuts and die." What the issue really was about was player agency, and my players were concerned that in running that kind of horror game they wouldn't have a lot of control over their characters. Although we dabbled in corruption mechanics, we didn't implement any sanity-shattering rules. Despite this, the players still felt I forced a play style on them that they didn't sign on for.

Call of Cthulhu and D20 Games Have Different Power Arcs

It's worth noting just how opposite these two systems are, even though they can look similar -- D20 Call of Cthulhu has stats for lots of Lovecrafitan monsters, but that doesn't mean the play style is the same. Simply put, playing a game of Call of Cthulhu means you buy into your character's weaknesses. My brother, who enjoyed playing his character as a terrified wimp (and also the geeky genius of the group), dove into his role as someone who would lose his mind when faced with extraterrestrial terrors. The other players didn't find it amusing, and frequently complained that the monsters were overpowered.

Of course, the monsters WERE overpowered, which is part of what makes Cthulhoid monstrosities so terrifying. Often the players had to find other ways to defeat creatures besides just shooting them or blowing them up. D20 Modern lends itself to a combative style of play, but the nature of investigation and the cautious approach was at odds with their competitive play style that they took from D&D.

These two confounding factors led to a bigger problem which I only began to notice near the end of the campaign.

"The Needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the Few"

As the campaign progressed, our heroes -- well aware that the end of the world was at stake -- began to take on a nihilistic view. They didn't care who they killed or blew up if it meant defeating entities from beyond from destroying the world. Their argument, one that was difficult to counter as their characters saw more and more hideous monsters lurking in the shadows, was that they had to do whatever was necessary to get the job done.

This changed their behavior in scenarios where for example, there was the possibility that a kindly old lady might be possessed by an evil entity, or someone might be held hostage. They didn't care, they had a world to save, so they would just blow up everyone to be safe...and if someone innocent got hurt, well they probably would die if the world ended anyway.

In some ways I had succeeded in turning the characters into the monsters they eventually became. I never forced them -- the character decisions all led to the point where they ended up having to make sacrifice to save the world or revert to their own selfish ends -- but my vision of the characters "going out with a bang" as part of their grand sacrifice ultimately soured them on the game completely. It sounded great on paper, but it wasn't fun.

If I were to do things differently, I would talk over the tone of the campaign first and be honest with them about what was to come (without giving too much away of course). In the end I think I knew they would say no, which is why I ran the campaign the way I did. Although the game concluded successfully, knowing the players didn't have fun in the latter parts of the campaign is a harsh lesson to learn after three years of gaming together. Because if we're not having fun, why bother gaming at all?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Interesting article. I think that the 'bait and switch' tends to be used to bring in horror elements (to make them surprising) and that's an especially marmite genre for TTRPG. Sad, because the bait and switch actually suits the genre more than letting the players know to expect it, but the players also need to enjoy the campaign!

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
We all have a story where thought the game was great and epic and the players were not nearly as pleased. It happens though and it is good to learn from. Thanks for sharing that with us!

Von Ether

Legend
A textbook example of frequent GM growing pain, the "bait and switch" and the OP has a good list of the temptations to do it and also examined some good reasons not to not do it.

Beyond looking good on paper, we often see media and fiction where the protagonist is pulled a bait and switch in the plot, like a police officer who learns the supernatural is real and eventually embraces it.

But players -- and their PCs -- are not a crafted novel. It's more akin to a creative project and, as the team leader, you've switch goals from the agreed upon reason why everyone joined in the first place.

And if you are going to switch tone in a game, it's best spell out in particulars.

I had a horrible time in an urban game where the PCs eventually became street supers. The GM had a nebulous timeline of when we would eventually go super, but wanted it to occur "naturally" and announced after the fact we may not exactly get the powers we signed up for "to keep things interesting." After about four sessions of waiting for the switch, I was climbing the walls.

I think if the GM told us that it would take four sessions before we got out powers, we'd know to settle in. Sadly, I think he trying to feel out the "right" time to do things and was finding out there was no such thing.

Sunsword

Adventurer
To make sure I understand this, Talien, did the players ever bring concerns to you while the game going?

I do believe everyone at the table needs to buy-in to the campaign, but I think the GM still needs to be able to shock the players, otherwise, what fun is it if you know the end?

Von Ether

Legend
I do believe everyone at the table needs to buy-in to the campaign, but I think the GM still needs to be able to shock the players, otherwise, what fun is it if you know the end?

I agree with you, but as I often say, "GMs are often gourmet cooks working at a comfort food restaurant filled with players." Players don't mind the occasional surprise or unexpected twist within the tropes of the game they are playing (a surprise or twist is not necessary the same as a shock.)

For many players as long as they get to settle in and run the same elven ranger they run in every game, they are in for the ride because they pretty much KNOW the ending. Just like they know the set piece endings of every book they read and TV show they watch. In fact, they get upset when their expectations are confounded.

Fantasy is the most popular RPG genre because its tropes are the most familiar. (GM burn out happens when they stop seeing tropes and only see cliches.)

Talien had switched the genres, the back stories of the players's PCs without their buy in (technically), and even the "win" state of the game (from monster bashing to group self-sacrifice.) He took what looked like a cool gamble, but it didn't work.

You can draw outside the lines, on occasion, in RPGs, but you got to also know where the paper ends.

talien

Community Supporter
To make sure I understand this, Talien, did the players ever bring concerns to you while the game going?
They didn't say it in so many words. A few times they complained about the power level of Cthulhu monsters, which was my first hint. The idea was that the monsters were never meant to be shot to death, but rather beaten through a combination of clever sleuthing, foiling summoning rituals, and the right use of explosives.

The second sign was the aforementioned "kill everything, let God sort them out" response where they stopped caring about the plot because they were trying to save the world. They skipped from investigating to just attempting to mass murder anyone who even seemed slightly sketchy. In essence, they were rebelling against the structure of a typical horror game.

The third sign was when they discovered they had all been "tainted" by the Mythos. They really didn't like that, but that came at the end of the campaign.

D20 Modern sits in a weird space between D&D tropes and modern tropes. D&D very much emphasizes the ability of the individual to overcome -- through personal power -- obstacles. D20 Modern has a similar approach, but with modern tropes heroes are theoretically constrained by civilized society. By the end of the campaign they had pretty much reverted to D&D-style warfare against anything that moved, civilization and mass hysteria not withstanding.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
That level of honesty when critiquing oneself is hard - and fruitful. Reading it, I think that introspection will make you a better gamemaster moving forward - though if you can regain the trust of those particular players is a different question.

I've screwed up DMing in the past, including the ending of a several year campaign. I was getting burnt out and when the players did something that they didn't realize would have big consequences near the beginning of what would have been the third act. It instead triggered the end game. Logically, if you were omniscient it made sense. But we skipped by so much of what the players would have learned at in that last act that would have made it epic. And that's not the first, last, or worse mess up.

If we are honest with ourselves and our players, and learn from it, well that's what experience is.

Good luck moving forward.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads