D&D 5E The cover of the 5E PHB: What I'd like to see

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What would you like to see on the cover?

I'd like to see a 4-person traditional adventuring party (human, dwarf, elf, halfling; of the classes fighter, rogue, cleric, wizard; not necessarily in that order). I'd like them to be discovering something, not fighting something. No action poses, but a sense of wonder as you share their awe as they, say, see a scary door in the lamplight. They should be ordinary looking people in realistic-looking armour/clothing, and they should have backpacks, lanterns, etc. A sense of mystery and foreboding, speaking directly to the exploration side of the game.

Something that gets your imagination going. What's behind that door?

How about you?

Tortoise

First Post
What would you like to see on the cover?

I'd like to see a 4-person traditional adventuring party (human, dwarf, elf, halfling; of the classes fighter, rogue, cleric, wizard; not necessarily in that order). I'd like them to be discovering something, not fighting something. No action poses, but a sense of wonder as you share their awe as they, say, see a scary door in the lamplight. They should be ordinary looking people in realistic-looking armour/clothing, and they should have backpacks, lanterns, etc. A sense of mystery and foreboding, speaking directly to the exploration side of the game.

Something that gets your imagination going. What's behind that door?

How about you?

Russ, I agree that whatever they put on the cover needs to convey a sense of mystery and adventure.

I still am enamored with the 1ePHB cover showing a group of adventurers after defeating the lizard men, gathering treasure chests, dragging bodies out of the way, studying the map, and of course trying to pry the huge ruby eye from the statue.

If they at least take that piece for inspiration, then the cover should be a better draw to the eye and mind of the curious than the last few have been. Play on observers sense of curiosity and natural tendency to try and figure out what is happening, has happened, will happen in context with the image.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I like the idea of a traditional scene with the standard 4 adventurers, maybe an extra &/or donkeyhorse, in a freaky environment fighting off a horde (or else big bad slithery monster) while yoinking a treasure.

An interesting twist might be to render this scene in a modern style, but reflect it in the background somehow (in a mirroring surface/watery archway/magic portal), but depicted in a weird, Otus-sque style. This could be super-subtle, something that jumps out only when you really peruse the cover of the book.

Last edited:

DonAdam

Explorer
No action poses*
No anime
No boob windows
No dragonborn

Get me a classic looking Elmore-style piece and I'll be happy.

*action scenes are fine, just not 'pose for the camera' character portraits

Argyle King

Legend
I want a cover which conveys that the intention behind D&D 5E is to unify the fanbase. What I mean by that is that I want artwork which celebrates the past, present, and future of D&D. Have the top left of the book be plain white with a bluish grid upon which will be part of a character sketch; that sketch and plain white area will then 'bleed' into and through the various art styles throughout the editions until it comes to a climax elsewhere on the cover; ending with the modern style and color.

Stormonu

Legend
Something like this?

pic459523_md.jpg

or this?

Player%E2%80%99s_Handbook_-_Revised_%282nd_edition%29.jpg

Perhaps this?

dd-ac9.jpg

Personally, I like a bit more of an action scene - something with a dragon in it. My favorite is:

basic13th.jpg

But, give me a whole party, like:

DSCF2799-1024x328.jpg

115368.jpg

FireLance

Legend
IMO, it should have interaction, exploration, and the suggestion of combat.

So, maybe one PC (cleric) talking to a guard, distracting him, while another (rogue) picks the lock on the door he's guarding while the rest are hiding and waiting with weapon (fighter) and implement (wizard) drawn, ready to jump him?

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I'd like 4-6 strips, half on front, other half on back, with an updated, color version of those "progression" illustrations that were in the 1E DMG under the random dungeon tables. You know, where it shows them starting out with kobolds or goblins, and then in the end with better equipment fighting a vampire, or something similar. Do some exploration, interaction, and combat in each strip, or at least hint at it with a creature in the next "panel".

Remove ads