The Darkness That Comes Before [IC]

Erekose13

Explorer
[Posting Guidelines]

For this game I would like actions to be between *asterisks*, thoughts to be in italics, and words to be in "quotes." Occasionally I will put information for a single player or words in a language that only certain people know in spoiler text. So please read the entire post including the OOC information at the bottom before highlighting any spoiler text. If you wish to use colors for certain things, go ahead, but be sure to include the thing above. Also, when in doubt, go for the lighter color.

For combat, please include any conditional modifiers at the end in the OOC.
The above was borrowed from Isida Kep'Tukari
[Current Character Roster]

Mahe, human exalted druid5, played by Thomas Hobbes
Folco, halfling ranger5, played by flyingricepaddy
Gespath Muckraker, human wizard5, played by Ghostknight
Donner Hund, halfling fighter5, played by Ferrix
Ian Chamberlain, human telepath5, played by Serpenteye
Taneth Aislan, elven wizard5, played by Quirhid
Dara Dragondaughter, human ranger1/barbarian1/rogue3, played by Thanee

[Prologue]
*Achamian stepped back from entrance to the alley, It's not possible, not here, not now. His mind screamed. How could the Consult have infiltrated Sumna, the City of the Tusk, home of the Shriah and the Thousand Temples. This just can't be happening. Being a spy for the Mandate, he was always on the look out for the Consult, but there hadn't been any sign of them in 2000 years ~ if the records could be trusted. But there was no denying that the creature he had just seen must have been of the Consult.*

*It had stood there, stooped over a body, blood splattered every where in the darkened alley. It's hunched form, spines bristling along its back, had turned it's head slowly looking directly at him. It's lips peeled back revealing long sharp teeth the length of daggers dripping with a black ichor. Dark blood covered it's dark fur almost completely. He ran then, he ran because his life depended on it. He knew with a frightening certainty that the creature had seen his aura. That it knew he was among the Schoolmen of the Great Schools.*

*As soon as he had reached the next alley across the marketplace he ducked inside chanting as quietly as he could, his heavy breathing punctuating the arcane syllables. As his vision began to blur, the wavering shadow of his spell wisking him out of harms way, he looked back towards the crowds of the market. There unphased by the people surging around it, stood a dark figure, tall in it's dark red cloak. Those eyes, those sheer black eyes, just as he had seen in his dreams ever since joining the Order. His scream was drowned out as the spell he weaved took him far away to the safety of his sanctum.*

*He had much to report to the order, not only the Consult, but also the Shriah and his Holy War. He had seen his friend Jorhian, a high placed templar in the Thousand Temples, only yesterday. His friend, once his pupil, had confirmed what everyone was talking about. The Shriah did intent to declare a Holy War and on the morrow he would declare against whom the People of the Tusk would march. As his mind raced through the possibilities something slowly dawned on him, he knew the body that had lain in the alleyway, it had been Jorhian.*

Chapter 1, the River's Wish Inn
*Gespeth ordered another drink from the rather attractive looking serving girl. She had introduced herself as Mary when she had brought his first flagon of ale. While waiting for his second he pondered what had brought him to this small tavern on the banks of the Shaul River. As a member of the Mysunsai School, he was often looking for paying work a mercenary mage for hire.*

*He looked around at the other patrons sizing them up to see if any might provide him with employment. In one corner sat a small halfling, surrounded by dogs, 5 of them lay at his feet. He looked like he had seen many battles, with his slightly unkept look and heavy equipment lying at his side. At another table a young man was dressed in simple unadorned clothing of black and green, sporting black hair. He was sitting quietly by himself, quite at home eating alone.*

*At another table a smaller man sat talking with a woman. The man was dressed in a loose hooded green robe with a large golden oak embroidered into the back. As Gespeth watched the man lowered his hood, revealing a pair of slightly pointed ears. An elf then? Perhaps. Not many of them around these parts. But in Gespeth's training he had met a couple, friends of his mentor. The woman was tall and blond, her straight hair falling over her fine black mail. She had a very large sword resting against the back of her chair and by the look of her she definitely knew how to use it.*

*Just then two people entered the inn, sunlight shining through the door as they opened the door. The tall man dressed in simple robes and carrying a large staff looked a little out of place in a building like this one, but the small halfling looked happy to be there. They were talking jovially as the entered, looking around for a place to sit. Having delivered your ale while you were watching those around, Mary has walked up to the two newcomers.*

"Welcome, Mahe and Folco, glad to see the two of you again. What brings you out to the eaves of the Glimmerwood?" Mary said to the man and the halfling.

[ooc: there we go everyone is in the inn. I have started the introduction from Gespeth's point of view just as an angle. Feel free to rp out any introductions you with to make.]

[Links]

In Character thread
Out of Character thread
Rogues Gallery thread
Maps page

Last edited:

Ghostknight

First Post
Erekose13 said:
Chapter 1, the River's Wish Inn
*Gespeth ordered another drink from the rather attractive looking serving girl. She had introduced herself as Mary when she had brought his first flagon of ale. While waiting for his second he pondered what had brought him to this small tavern on the banks of the Shaul River. As a member of the Mysunsai School, he was often looking for paying work a mercenary mage for hire.*

*He looked around at the other patrons sizing them up to see if any might provide him with employment. In one corner sat a small halfling, surrounded by dogs, 5 of them lay at his feet. He looked like he had seen many battles, with his slightly unkept look and heavy equipment lying at his side. At another table a young man was dressed in simple unadorned clothing of black and green, sporting black hair. He was sitting quietly by himself, quite at home eating alone.*

*At another table a smaller man sat talking with a woman. The man was dressed in a loose hooded green robe with a large golden oak embroidered into the back. As Gespeth watched the man lowered his hood, revealing a pair of slightly pointed ears. An elf then? Perhaps. Not many of them around these parts. But in Gespeth's training he had met a couple, friends of his mentor. The woman was tall and blond, her straight hair falling over her fine black mail. She had a very large sword resting against the back of her chair and by the look of her she definitely knew how to use it.*

*Just then two people entered the inn, sunlight shining through the door as they opened the door. The tall man dressed in simple robes and carrying a large staff looked a little out of place in a building like this one, but the small halfling looked happy to be there. They were talking jovially as the entered, looking around for a place to sit. Having delivered your ale while you were watching those around, Mary has walked up to the two newcomers.*

"Welcome, Mahe and Folco, glad to see the two of you again. What brings you out to the eaves of the Glimmerwood?" Mary said to the man and the halfling.

[ooc: there we go everyone is in the inn. I have started the introduction from Gespeth's point of view just as an angle. Feel free to rp out any introductions you with to make.]

*Looking around the crowd in the inn, Gespeth decided that this was a pretty mixed crowd, and quite a gathering of travellers! The most likely candidates appeared to be the two that had just entered, they appeared to be local (or at leats here often enough that the pretty serving girl knew them)*

*Waiting to catch her attention he called Mary over*

"Maybe you can help me Mary, what can you tell me about those two that just arrived?"

Thanee

First Post
Dara Dragondaughter

It has been a while, since Dara had earned her last coins, and the few gold pieces she had left, wouldn't get her very far from where she was. She visited the local tavern, as this was the best location to find employment usually, but so far, there was nothing in sight.

As the unequal pair enters, Dara turns around to look at the new arrivals, but they just seem to be travelers and so she gets back to her ale.

A smile forms around her lips, as she remembers the first time she met a halfling, a few months ago. She would never underestimate the 'little folk' again.

Last edited:

Quirhid

First Post
*Taneth stopped chatting with the woman ...well, the woman talked mostly, but he listened very politely.*

This was his second tome among the humans -or around anyone for that matter, since he started wandering in the plains. He was rather shy when he walked in and he didn't knew all the local customs. Thanks for the very understanding serving girl, he managed to get a drink after a short while.

*When the two walked in, he barely noticed them under his hood. He was too concentrated on his wine.*

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Dara Dragondaughter

“They seem to be here quite often,” Dara remarks, when the waitress greets the two. She doesn't expect an answer, the elf, who was sitting at her table, was more of the reclusive type.

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
*Donner stroked the ears of the largest of the five hounds and took a swill of his ale. Having stayed in the inn a night or two, he felt restless and ready to set out again on another job, hopefully this time with a party which wouldn't turn tail at the first sign of trouble. Finishing the last of his ale he wondered if it'd be worth it to have another tonight.*

*Looking to the oddly-matched pair as they entered, he runs a hand across his stubble thinking those two look like they could hold their own. "What d'you think Grizzle?" The question aimed at the largest hound, which then promptly nuzzled against him and wagged it's tail. "Guess you like 'em already." With that, he waited for the waitress to come by to ask her about the warmly-greeted travelers, and order another ale.*

Serpenteye

First Post
*Ian turned the emerald over in his hand, playing distractedly with it's smooth surface as he carried on a telepathic communication with his companion.* -Remind me again why we have returned to this cesspit of a village. We could be swimming in wine in the pleasure domes of the Capital, we could explore the hidden places of the finest whores in the known world. You know what you can do with your powers. With your skill and my brains there are no limits to how far we could go.-
*Ian laughs quietly, seemingly to himself, and answers the psi-crystal with a thought.*
-And I would be killed within hours of making the attempt, if I wasn't struck down immediately. Your attempts of getting rid of me are becoming tiresome. I see right through you.- he holds the stone up for a moment, -Literally. And I don't see any brains, literally nor figuratively. Now hush, and take a look at the people who just came in. Don't they look like worthy candidates?-
The derision oozing from the emerald is almost a physical force, thick and heavy with sulky loathing. -Why, yes Master. Don't they look like a fine pair of pigsuckers. A swineherd and his little toy, or perhaps a retarded son, or why not both. Yes, yes, go over there and introduce yourself 'Please, sir, may I join the pigsucker's guild. It's not like I have anything better to do.' Idiot.-
-Coming from you, Liar, I take that as an agreement.-
-I love you, Master.-
-I hate you too, Liar.-
-Hey, I'm the one who's made of stone. What's your excuse?-
-Oh, just shut up.-

ooc: Sorry if the crystal is a bit rude, if I'm offending anyone I can tone it down a little. It's my evil side-kick and comic relief, finely in tune with his Id. I think it could be fun to have it around, but not if it hurts someone's feelings irl.

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
*As the two at the door find their way in, they make to a table towards the back of the tavern, over looking the river at the back. It is a nice summer afternoon, the sun is shining high in the cloudless blue sky. Out the back, a large patio sits out over the river. No one is out there at the moment and the door to it is currently closed. There are a few chairs their however, and it looks quite nice.*

*The inn lies right beside the road as it crosses the Shaul river at River's Run Bridge. There are a few other buildings that have taken advantage of the location, including a general store and a blacksmith. To the north of the river more and more farms dot the landscape, but to the west a large green forest sits on the northern bank of the river heading off towards the tall mountains far in the distance.*

*After Mary has ushered her two friends in, she heads over to Gespeth seeing his attention on her. At his question she replies, "Them, they dwell within the Glimmerwood off to the west. The tall one, Mahe, is a druid of the forest and caretaker of the animals that live there. The smaller one, Folco has been traveling with Mahe for a while now."

*A few minutes later another traveller entered the inn. This traveller looked a little more exotic than the other two. The woman was dressed in a fine embroidered silk blouse that seemed to shift colors in the sunlight from behind and pale white pants that hung very loose. The shirt settled on mostly deeper shades of green as the door closed. She had a thin face, with a slight tip to the point of her ears, but what was most interesting was the tattoo on her cheeks. Both cheeks sported vibrant blue-green summer leaves twining down on vines from the corners of her eyes. The effect made it look like she was crying vines.*

*Approaching the new comer, Mary spoke offering her a set and an ale to ease her after a long journey. She spoke something to Mary quietly which no one could hear from where they were seated. Mary nodded once, and ushered her into the room.*

"Greetings fellow travellers. I don't know if you believe in fate or not, but I see this as divine providence ~ a gathering of great heroes." the woman said in halting Low Sheyic. Her accent was qute strong, but not one that even Taneth recognized. "I am Nalya, of the Transcendent Owl Sept. I have come here seeking all of you, for I have seen you all before ~ in my dreams. If you will allow me to I would like to speak to all of you about the prophesies that my people have passed down for generations."

"The prophesy speaks of the return of Mog-Pharau, the No-God and the coming of the Second Apocalypse. It details very specific signs to watch for, and I believe that some of those signs have come to pass. The tribal elders have given me, the one with the sight, the task of bringing word to the heroes who are destined to stop this from happening. Thus I am here before you, to ask that you listen to the entirety of my tale."

*Of everyone here there are two who understand a little of what she speaks. Gespeth having studied in one of the libraries of the Mysunsai knows that the Mandate an opposing school often tries to spread tales of the Apocalypse, but few legends or tomes even hint that such an event occured. Taneth, the group of wizards who taught you the elements of magic spoke of someone called the No-God and his servants the Sranc, a deadly group of beastial hunters who had once crawled across Earwa hunting humans and elves alike.*

[ooc: SerpentEye, Liar's attitude is fine, but you might want to tone down anything that would be picked up by the boards censors as the smilies are a bit distracting.]

Ferrix

Explorer
*Donner watches the newcomer intently, when the words "Second Apocalypse" are uttered a sort of grim smile comes over his face and he strokes the ears of Grizzle and listens to what the woman has to say with a resolute intensity.*

Thanee

First Post
Dara Dragondaughter

Dara watches the woman closely. Unconsciously, she nods a few times, while she speaks.

Fate? Many has happened in the past, which could be contributed to fate.

She continues to listen, as the woman obviously hasn't finished yet, staying silent for now.

Last edited:

Remove ads