The Forge of War

Tzarevitch

First Post
Ok. I got the book now and I am VERY pleased. There are over 30 pages on the ebb and flow of the Last War, filled with battles and shifting alliances. There is info on the war machines, military units of all the Galifar successor states, and war battlefields. There are a few new spells, plenty of magic items and a couple of new creatures.

There is even a new warforged, the Warforged Raptor, which is basically an airborne version of the warforged titan. Think of it as a bomber. I haven't had time to read it in depth yet, but as I said before I am VERY pleased. My kudos to the authors.

Tzarevitch

Tzarevitch said:
My kudos to the authors.

Thank you. :)

I'm thrilled to death with the way the book came out, overall. I think it's one of my favorites of the WotC books I've worked on--and certainly of the Eberron books--to date. :)

DragonBelow

Adventurer
When I DMed RHoD, I started the campaign with the party being a military commando-type unit from Cyre, it was set a few years before the end of the war and we ran a few sessions like that, then I fast-forwarded to present day Eberron for RHoD proper, it was fun and I wish I had this book then.

BadMojo

First Post
I'm definitely looking forward to this one, and I'm not even running an Eberron game. How much detailed info on individual military units is there?

Also, how much focus is on adventuring in present day versus the pre-Day of Mourning era?

Glyfair

Explorer
Tzarevitch said:
Ok. I got the book now and I am VERY pleased. There are over 30 pages on the ebb and flow of the Last War, filled with battles and shifting alliances. There is info on the war machines, military units of all the Galifar successor states, and war battlefields. There are a few new spells, plenty of magic items and a couple of new creatures.

Over on the Eberron forums there is a lot of heavy criticism of the fluff of the book. I'm glad to hear that it seems pretty solid.

I have no problem with taking a book and using the fluff I like and ignoring what I don't. After all, I was a Glorantha fan for a long time and Greg is known for screwing with the world.

Glyfair said:
Over on the Eberron forums there is a lot of heavy criticism of the fluff of the book.

To be fair, the criticism all stems from one or two small sections about the Silver Flame tucked away in the midst of Chapter One.

Or at least, all the criticism I've seen. If people have other problems, by all means, point me to them, and I'll be happy to address 'em. :)

Tzarevitch

First Post
BadMojo said:
I'm definitely looking forward to this one, and I'm not even running an Eberron game. How much detailed info on individual military units is there?

Also, how much focus is on adventuring in present day versus the pre-Day of Mourning era?

Surprisingly the info is very detailed. Units are broken down by squads. It lists the composition of light, and medium infantry as well as light and heavy cavalry for most nations as well as mercenary companies. Some list exotic units like Aundair's magical air cavalry (mages with fly spells or flight items), Droamite siege corps (ogres, trolls and hill giants), Doamite aerial assault squads (harpies and gargoyles), Thrane's naval forces etc. It lists the race, class, level and rank of typical members.

As for adventuring in the past as opposed to the present, there seems to be a good deal on both. The chonology of the war and the battles and political intrigues takes 30 odd pages with surprisingly good detail. There is also a good bit on the nations and dragonmarked houses pre-war/inter-war/and post war. There is a good bit in the back on time travel and setting adventures in various eras but I haven't made it that far yet :)

Tzarevitch

Tzarevitch

First Post
Glyfair said:
Over on the Eberron forums there is a lot of heavy criticism of the fluff of the book. I'm glad to hear that it seems pretty solid.

I have no problem with taking a book and using the fluff I like and ignoring what I don't. After all, I was a Glorantha fan for a long time and Greg is known for screwing with the world.

I haven't checked the Eberron forums out recently but I can't imagine what they'd be complaining about. I loved Secrets of Sarlona and this one surpasses that one and I don't heap compliments lightly. There are a few Eberron books that weren't all that good but this one wasn't one of them.

Hell, I am a big student of military history (part of the reason why I was looking foreward to the book) and I was impressed. The fantasy battles and tactics that actually made sense. Fancy that :) The description of how the darguul goblins took down one of Breland's floating fortresses made sense and is not all that different from the classical methods of taking out tanks.

There is even stuff on the effects of war like psychological disorders and alcoholism for people to flesh out characters.

Tzarevitch

Remove ads