D&D 5E The Great Avatar Bet: A Longterm Setting Speculation Forum Game

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have a forum game proposal, though this might be a bit of a long burn.

Following up on the discussion in this thread:

We know that there are plans from the D&D Studio at WotCwill be a classic Setting product that in 2023, and a "revisit" in 2024 for the 50th anniversary. Our over all consensus has formed around two primary guesses for each teased product:

- 2023: Either Planescape or Dark Sun

- 2024: Either Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms.

Now, this year some of us had some fun with an Avatar bet: an agreement when two posters have made a predi tin, to let the poster who is right pick the Avatar of the poster who is incorrect for some time. We did that pretty informally, but we had fun.

So, because I'm q junky mad with power, I thinknit would be fun to do that on a more "formal" basis for the 2023 and 2024 products: Team Planescape versus Team Dark Sun for 2023, and Team Greyhawk versus Team Realms for 2024.

The Rules: the winning team will democratically select new Avatar icons for members of the losing team. Nothing nasty or mean, but thematic, this is for good fun. The new Avatars shall last fir one year or until the next Setting announcement, we'll see how it goes.

I will edit the OP to keep track of the team members as we go.

For 2023:

Team Planescape

Team Dark Sun

Team Wildcard

And for 2024:

Team Greyhawk

Team Forgotten Realms

Team Wildcard

- ?

Last edited:

I want it to be Planescape, but I don't think it will be. I'm not sure it'll be Dark Sun either, but I'm also not sure what else it could be, so put me down on Team Dark Sun because there's no-one otherwise.

Re: GH/FR, my problem is I think we'll get both as I've noted. If we only get one in the actual YEAR of 2024, though, it'll be Greyhawk, though are we going to count it if it's in the form of adventure, like Dragonlance? If not I guess I have no team there.

I don't think they will do a Planescape setting. Planehopping is covered by other things. I think Sigil will be be visited in an adventure though.

I'm confident Dark Sun will never come to 5e, because of the lack of psionics consensus. I think they had it planned, and then axed it when they couldn't find a way forwards with psionics. I think that instead they will do and original IP (or MtG conversion) with similar themes but no psionics.

Greyhawk is possible, but not very interesting. The same goes for Forgotten Realms. If I have to choose from one of those I will plump for FR.

Remove ads