RPG Evolution: The Half-Edition Shuffle

The next edition of Dungeons & Dragons is finally on the horizon, but it's not here just yet. So when do publishers makes the shift?

The next edition of Dungeons & Dragons is finally on the horizon, but it's not here just yet. So when do publishers makes the shift?

thehalfeditionshuffle.png

A Historical Model​

D&D has been through several editions in recent memory, but few match the recent transition between two compatible editions. Although backwards compatibility is often promised, it's rarely delivered. And there's also the consideration of the thousands of small press publishers created through the Open Game License movement, which didn't exist before Third Edition. Of all the edition shifts, the 3.0 to 3.5 transition seems closest to what D&D is going through right now, so it's a good place to start this thought experiment.

Compatible, Sort Of​

Fifth Edition's transition to Sixth involves tweaks to the game. Those tweaks seemed largely cosmetic, at first. With the release of Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse, it's clear that the spellcasting section of monsters is going to be significantly changed. In short, while players may find their characters compatible with the latest edition of D&D, DMs may find their monsters aren't. And that's a problem for publishers. But mechanically, all of these issues can be addressed. What really matters is what customers think. And that's often shaped by branding.

What a Half-Edition Means​

The transition between Third Edition and 3.5 was more significant than many publishers were expecting. You can see a list on RPG Stack Exchange, which shows just how much the new edition changed the game.

This did not go unnoticed by consumers. The OGL movement was still developing but it caught many publishers by surprise, including the company I wrote for at the time, Monkeygod Publishing (they're no longer in business). When we released my hardcover book Frost & Fur, the only identifier was the D20 System logo. Little did we know that it was imperative to identify the book as 3.5-compatible (which it was), because stores wouldn't carry it and consumers wouldn't buy it if it wasn't.

There wasn't nearly as much communication from WIzards of the Coast back then as to how to prepare for the edition change, much less columns from the company explaining their strategy. More communication about the upcoming edition may mitigate its impact on third-party publishers.

Between the DM's Guild and DriveThruRPG, there is now an ecosystem that can more readily update itself without taking up shelf space or clogging up inventory. Digital products can be changed, covers can be rebranded, and newsletters can announce the update. Wizards of the Coast has also given considerable lead time on the coming changes by announcing the edition well in advance and updating books piecemeal so developers can see what changed. But there's still one important piece of the puzzle.

What Do Consumers Think?​

One of the ongoing concerns for supporting publishers of Third Edition was how the Open Game License would be updated and, at least as important, how to identify that compatibility.

Updating the OGL enables publishers to ensure their products are compatible. The OGL doesn't specify stat block structure, so it may not even be necessary to update the license much if at all.

Identifying compatibility will be even more critical. At some point, publishers will start identifying their products as Sixth Edition compatible. And that will happen when consumers shift their spending habits.

The Changeover​

But first, WOTC has to declare that Sixth Edition has officially arrived. Wizards was hesitant to put a number on Fifth Edition, preferring instead to indicate it was simply D&D to potentially head off edition controversy. Failure to do that in a timely fashion (or worse, failure to recognize a new edition at all and continue calling it Fifth Edition) will cause potential confusion in the marketplace, with both consumers and publishers.

At some point the tide will turn and consumers will expect compatibility with the new edition. That change is complicated by the fact that Sixth Edition should be largely compatible with Fifth Edition. But only consumers can decide that for sure; if they don't feel it is, there will be a sharp drop off in Fifth Edition buying habits. For smaller publishers, they'll stay close to the market to determine when that shift is happening and how to transition smoothly without harming their business model.

Getting it right can be lucrative. Getting it wrong can sink a company. The market convulsed massively when 3.5 came out, wiping out publishers and game store stock that were unprepared for the change. Here's hoping with enough foresight and planning, we don't have a repeat of the 3.0 transition.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

HammerMan

Legend
The Changeover
But first, WOTC has to declare that Sixth Edition has officially arrived. Wizards was hesitant to put a number on Fifth Edition, preferring instead to indicate it was simply D&D to potentially head off edition controversy. Failure to do that in a timely fashion (or worse, failure to recognize a new edition at all and continue calling it Fifth Edition) will cause potential confusion in the marketplace, with both consumers and publishers.
I have been saying this since the announcement, but with the new books changing things already and the surveys indicating everything is on the table... I keep being told "it's not a new edition" and I think that way of thinking will hurt WotC in the long run (and our hobby)
At some point the tide will turn and consumers will expect compatibility with the new edition. That change is complicated by the fact that Sixth Edition should be largely compatible with Fifth Edition. But only consumers can decide that for sure; if they don't feel it is, there will be a sharp drop off in Fifth Edition buying habits. For smaller publishers, they'll stay close to the market to determine when that shift is happening and how to transition smoothly without harming their business model.

Getting it right can be lucrative. Getting it wrong can sink a company. The market convulsed massively when 3.5 came out, wiping out publishers and game store stock that were unprepared for the change. Here's hoping with enough foresight and planning, we don't have a repeat of the 3.0 transition.
my biggest fear is what I refer to as "standing in the middle of the road, and getting hit by cars going both ways" that they will make enough changes to make it a new edition but try to hold back major overhauls needed. In doing so they will not make people who want 100% backwards compatible happy, and people that want major change wont be happy either.

Von Ether

Legend
I'm not sure if backwards compability even matters. While you could have quite simply used 3.0 Material with 3.5 or 3.5 for Pathfinder, I personally never witnessed someone actually mixing them.

As soon as we started a new Edition, we used the Sourcebook from the new one exclusively. Even old Settingbooks (which are quite universal) are usually ignoried if a Book for the new Edition comes out.
And if you chat with some of the people running RPGA at the time, many of those 3.5 changes came from the living game scene who demanded more rules vs rulings at the table. (Druid animal companions being an example) Otherwise 3.0 worked fine.

In some ways, 3.0 vs 3.5 was Basic vs AD&D all over again. If you really wanted to play the "right way" you had to use the latest set, 3.5.

I still have my 3.0 Eberron stuff because I love that pulpy, comic book vibe. I just wish I could pull out all the 3.x mechanics and rebind the books I could just keep the evergreen fluff in a nice hardcover.

I don't know how successful it was, but Green Ronin had the Pirates Guide to Freeport as a system agnostic hardback with high quality PDFs sold for different game system rules for character creation and monster stats. They offered up 3e, 4e, 5e, Savage Worlds, Fate, Castle and Crusades, Fantasy Age, and Pathfinder 1.

Last edited:

Mezuka

Hero
10 years is a long time for an edition of D&D. The longest duration so far.

With TSR I never had major problems adapting Basic, AD&D1e and AD&2 material from one to the other versions of the game. If 5.5 allows that with 5e material, go for it.

Osgood

Adventurer
I hear the consternation about not putting an edition label on the cover for D&D, but look back at your rulebooks... 3rd and 4th, like 5th, didn't have an edition denoted on the cover, only 2nd and 3.5 (and Essentials if you count that as a half edition). I'm not sure about Basic D&D products, but based on what I see, I don't think slapping an edition label on the cover is required, or even standard practice.
I think the 2E branding was so prominent, it got burned into the psyche of gamers of a certain age!

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I think the changes that are coming in 5.5 (or whatever it will end up being called) will be less significant than the changes that happened between 3.0 and 3.5. So far it's been what, some lore and cultural changes regarding demi-human races and how they're writing a part of the monster stat blocks? If it remains like that I very much doubt 3PP have much to worry about. I think the whole reason we're getting a new 5.5 edition is because somebody higher up decided that the game's been out since 2014. So it's time to get people to buy core rulebooks again. Which, is fine. But doesn't mean that the changes will be particularly significant if you're working back from that decision.
Agreed. It seems like the 50th anniversary has presented them with a good reason to re-release the core books with some system-wide tweaks, nudges, and adjustments that have probably been on their minds for a while. I doubt they will brand it as 6E, just because 5E has so much cache.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
People seem to get very emotional and upset\elated when a new edition comes out.

Those that get mad seem to forget the whole publishing model. It applies to RPGs. Product needs to keep coming out or these companies will die off.

I don't get to play all the games that I own, and buying a new edition, for me, isn't worth it. I've barely scratched the dozens and dozens of supplements that I have.

I'm glad the demand is there though, means the hobby is alive and has a lot of activity.

I'm slowly falling into my handful of core systems, and I'll probably stay with that. Some weird sense of relief that I don't have to pursue new editions, etc. As I reach my mid 50's, it's more about getting time to play than it is new books and rules.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Depends on the value they put on third party support. It's not incumbent, no; it might be wise. Or not, depending, as I said, on the value they put on third party support.

A question which many will also ask is what happens to all those thousands and thousands of DMs Guild products? Even if they are technically compatible, it's the perception which matters. It would suck if you're a DMsG publisher who has invested years of work and money into your products and building up an extensive catalogue, and folks stopped buying them.
Personally I do not buy 3rd party stuff because it is compatible, I buy it to flesh out ideas for something I am preparing. As long as I have an up to date MM I should be ok.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Things that I'm pretty sure we're going to see include changes to race/lineage, and changes in monster formatting. I also think incorporating some of the class "options" from Tasha's seems likely, maybe reshuffling which sub-classes are in the PHB, dropping some unpopular ones and adding some from other books.

Those seem to be pretty minor and backwards compatible.

The recent spell and feat surveys have me a little more concerned. If it's tweaking one or two spells (like true strike), that's fine, but I too much overhauling would put me off.

I'm betting it will be released as "Dungeons & Dragons: The 50th Anniversary Edition" and they will be cheerfully ignoring the question of whether it is 5th, 5.5 or 6th. Why fight an Edition War you can avoid?

If they genuinely cared about "backward compatibility" they would also release a single hardback book (normal price) or online PDF containing just the changed content for all previously released books. A Super Errata, if you will. I would absolutely buy that. Would I buy all the core books again? I'm doubting it.

Remove ads

Remove ads