D&D 4E The Intelligent Fighter , Thibault's Circle / La Destreza.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The savant is closer than one my think but it definitely isnt the tough survivor flavored character.
I wasn't able to parse this, Garth. Can you explain?

More intelligently than the other player fighting intelligently ...can role-play ones darnedest and do things you feel are intelligent but honestly.
My character is not me these ideas are about proposing the game enable my characters intelligence provide benefit on the battle field.
The point of the features I proposed is exactly to provide benefits to the character in combat, from their intelligence.

There you go... good ideas that pole arm one is interesting but we need to make it distinct from the Battlemaster
Do we? It already doesn't do anything with superiority dice. It's a lunge, it is what it is.

I kind of feel like style seemed to be less about lunging but getting the benefit without the real life risk
The Spanish Circle, or Destreza, focused heavily on a fully extended lunging attack, along with a stance that threatens the opponent as they attack, and makes the fencer a smaller target. The arm is extended in a way that maximizes reach and threatening space, and the footwork allows for the manipulation of the opponent.

In 4e terms that is like being able to do maneuvers that normally grant combat advantage but you have a work around. Like a feat that means if your own power causes you to grant combat advantage you get a bonus to AC equal to your intelligence

That, or a class feature, sure. I'd also say that grant others combat advantage, repositioning enemies, and avoid opportunity attacks with fancy movement powers, would all fit.

Tony Vargas

Legend
More intelligently than the other player fighting intelligently ...can role-play ones darnedest and do things you feel are intelligent but honestly.
I mean, if you RP fighting intelligently - using, say, historically proven-effective weapons, armor, techniques, & tactics - your character will likely get killed, or, at least, underperform. /Playing/ intelligently is an entirely different thing. ;)

My character is not me these ideas are about proposing the game enable my characters intelligence provide benefit on the battle field.
Nod. It's always easier to see modeling effects of STR or DEX in D&D, for some reason (it's not quite as tough a row to hoe in other systems, it seems... not sure why...).

...hm... maybe it's because D&D has had mental stats pull double-duty as both defining RL human qualities, /and/ as magic-stats, while other system separate the two? So you have people playing very-high-WIS Clerics, who are only high-WIS for the bonus spells, and don't behave like they're particularly insightful or prudent, at all. By the time d20 added WIS-based skills like 'Sense Motive' it was too late.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I wasn't able to parse this, Garth. Can you explain?
Have you looked at the Savant its in the preview of a Touch More Class we almost have an Intelligent bladesman right there, but its not the Thibault's Circle smart and tough guy type

The point of the features I proposed is exactly to provide benefits to the character in combat, from their intelligence.
Your comment seemed out of synch with your ideas.

Do we? It already doesn't do anything with superiority dice. It's a lunge, it is what it is.

I do not think anything is designed in isolation, but mostly I also wasnt thinking a 5e version of this would stray from the Battlemaster for its foundation with the other maneuvers there in.

A new fighting style, A feat or two, A set of Int based maneuvers like the Charisma ones kind of .

The Spanish Circle, or Destreza, focused heavily on a fully extended lunging attack, along with a stance that threatens the opponent as they attack, and makes the fencer a smaller target. The arm is extended in a way that maximizes reach and threatening space, and the footwork allows for the manipulation of the opponent.
OK Good description - the lunge without self skewering (which seems to have been common in many styles.) due to tracking of tangents and areas of control and such.

That, or a class feature, sure. I'd also say that grant others combat advantage, repositioning enemies, and avoid opportunity attacks with fancy movement powers, would all fit.

Grant allies combat advantage by bringing their attention on you with that spookie grim determination? Repositioning enemies definitely.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

[MENTION=82504]Garthanos[/MENTION] I don’t think my comment was out of sync, but it’s fine.

Anyway, I do think that an Int oriented fighting style and some new maneuvers for the battle master would be better than a new battlemaster style subclass.

Instead, I’d want to explore what a subclass could provide as constant benefits or at will abilities. Or perhaps something more like the warlord subclass Mearls toyed around with in the happy fun hour stream.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
@Garthanos I don’t think my comment was out of sync, but it’s fine.

Anyway, I do think that an Int oriented fighting style and some new maneuvers for the battle master would be better than a new battlemaster style subclass.

Instead, I’d want to explore what a subclass could provide as constant benefits or at will abilities. Or perhaps something more like the warlord subclass Mearls toyed around with in the happy fun hour stream.

I admit I am basically giving the Battlemaster At-wills with

and Idea I called Skilled Superiority.

You could forgo one of your attacks from an attack action to make an Intelligence Check(Investigation) to Treat the following maneuver as having a Superiority and add your Intelligence modifier to the subsequent attack.

The lunge would then be just a lunge but not really different in power than making the two attacks. You have put all your eggs in one basket

I was thinking Battlemaster also needed multi die maneuvers to give it some daily class zing.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I dont know if you noticed the circle bind I mentioned earlier for the 4e Fighter is an at-will lunge with defensive benefits.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I dont know if you noticed the circle bind I mentioned earlier for the 4e Fighter is an at-will lunge with defensive benefits.

But since you can shift after the attack instead you can use it as a very protected but dangerous retreat tactics .. yay.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Maybe a good move for such a fighter would be a lunge, after which you can move 10 feet without OAs?
I am thinking a translated pole arm flanker would work too

We could call it Extended Circle and require this Fighting Style .

Edit but it looks like that assumes you already can attack at reach...

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

I am thinking a translated pole arm flanker would work too

We could call it Extended Circle and require this Fighting Style .

Edit but it looks like that assumes you already can attack at reach...

My wife’s idea was to simply extend the fighter’s reach with rapiers and similar weapons with the fighting style, and then use a feat to allow OAs when the enemy moves while threatened by you, and give an AC bonus.

Or, make it a +1 AC and +1 to attack when wielding a one handed weapon and nothing else (including no shield), and put the rest in a feat.

Me I think there’s something there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases