The Most Expensive Gifts on Our RPG Wishlists

With the rise of D&D and tabletop role-playing games in popular culture, a broader more diverse audience, and gamers that grew up with the game now adult professionals with extra cash to spare, the market has adapted to match. Although it may seem hard to believe, Wizard of the Coasts' recently announced D&D Anniversary Sapphire Dice is not the most expensive on the list. In case you missed...

With the rise of D&D and tabletop role-playing games in popular culture, a broader more diverse audience, and gamers that grew up with the game now adult professionals with extra cash to spare, the market has adapted to match. Although it may seem hard to believe, Wizard of the Coasts' recently announced D&D Anniversary Sapphire Dice is not the most expensive on this list. In case you missed it, these are the products that now run in the hundreds of dollars for gamers looking for high-end gaming accessories.

trynottothinkoftheprice.jpg

$200+
Wizkids released a fully painted miniature-scale version of The Falling Star Sailing Ship for $250 in January 2019. The Masks of Nyarlathotep Leatherette Slipcase Set also retails for $250.

Invisible Sun, a tabletop role-playing game from Monte Cook Games, comes in a black cube valued at $252. The PDF retails for $99. The cube contained four hardcover books, roughly 1000 cards, the Sooth Deck (a tarot-like deck that’s instrumental to game play), the Path of Suns game board, the Testament of Suns (a resin-cast figure), a wide variety of tokens for tracking game info, a set of custom Invisible Sun dice, two cloth maps, a GM’s notebook, character tomes, a character grimoire pad, five pregenerated characters, loads of in-setting handouts and props, a gorgeous art book, and the Invisible Sun app.

$300+
The aforementioned D&D Sapphire Anniversary Dice Set includes eleven custom-designed aluminum dice from Level Up Dice. Embedded in one of the d20s is a lab-grown sapphire. Additionally, each set includes a high-quality dice box and a matching dice tray displaying the ampersand, fifth edition D&D stats and details introducing the sapphire dragon, commemorative stickers, and a sequentially numbered collector’s card confirming the set’s authenticity. It retails for $299.

$400+
That's nothing compared to the Black Dragon Trophy Plaque which will go on sale in 2019 for $450.

Not to be outdone, Matthew Lillard, an actor known for his role as Shaggy in the live-action Scooby Doo movies, launched Beadle and Grimm's Pandemonium Warehouse in June 2018. Its flagship products are $499 all-inclusive Platinum Edition for D&D products. Each Edition includes high quality battle maps, maps of the city, 20+ miniatures, original artwork, premium dungeon master screen, coins / tokens / badges to hand to your characters, and much more. The most recent edition for Descent into Avernus is already sold out.

And the Most Expensive RPG Product Award Goes To...
This might seem odd in context of all the other luxury items on this list, but the most expensive tabletop role-playing game book goes to Alderac Entertainment Group's World's Large Dungeon. How do we know this? Because it's in the Guinness World Book of Records:
In August 2004, Alderac Entertainment Group released World's Largest Dungeon, a-1,000 page Role Playing Game (RPG) book with nearly 1 million words and 100 maps. It retailed for a record $99.95 (£51.88) – the most expensive RPG product ever!
There are most assuredly products that have come out since 2004 that retail for more, but for the moment AEG seems to be the only one to have gone through the effort of registering the achievement. More likely, other companies don’t need the publicity – customers of luxury goods surely know where to find them. And if you’re so inclined and have cash to spare…now you do too!

We didn't have room to cover all the luxury products that have come out recently, so now it's your turn: what other RPG products retail for over $200?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If Beadle and Grimm do an Eberron set, I’ll drop that kind of money.

Or Dragonlance.

Till then, the only thing that tempts me on that list is The Falling Star.

I’m also hoping wotc will put out a slip-cased leather bound core set for the 50th anniversary. I’d buy that. Especially if it featured more art, a better index, and maybe a collection of maps.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I bought that Worlds Largest Dungeon at DragonCon in 2004. Not sure where the book and maps are now though but the article has me looking for it :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads