Dragonlance "The Women of Dragonlance" -- Larry Elmore's New Dragonlance Painting

Iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore has been working on a new Dragonlance painting. He has been sharing progress pictures over recent weeks. This is apparently a commission for a client, and is entitled "The Women of Dragonlance". There's a new trilogy of Dragonlance novels coming from authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman featuring "classic Dragonlance" branding.

Iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore has been working on a new Dragonlance painting. He has been sharing progress pictures over recent weeks. This is apparently a commission for a client, and is entitled "The Women of Dragonlance".

There's a new trilogy of Dragonlance novels coming from authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman featuring "classic Dragonlance" branding.

elmore_dl_2021.jpg

Bagpuss

Legend
Yes, left quite an impression on my young self as well... sigh.

My biggest complaint of art of the period (and still) is the scantly clad women and over sexualization of them.

Doesn't seem your young self minded that much. Or was that a different sort of sigh.

Bagpuss

Legend
There are plenty of other Elmore illustrations that feature women wearing what we'd think of as more appropriate attire. The one below is probably my favorite Elmore work. But I hear ya, some of those old fantasy illustrations just look plain silly with their bikini armor.

View attachment 132363

Well the elf on the left is wearing a mini-skirt, but to be fair it was off it's time. Also the female fighters pants are skin tight unlike the males. Still D&D was clearly aimed at young males in those days, even if it actually had a much wider audience back then. Plus Elmore grew up in the '60s where mini skirts were popular, you draw what you know and like, ie: the culture you grew up in. Nothing wrong with a bit of skin showing, especially if the character is clearly not a front line fighter.

Still to give you an idea of how far we have come and IMHO daft some things are getting I heard that picture got taken down in one of the D&D Facebook groups, not because of the bare legs but because it was accused of being racist.

Vallejo was THE fantasy artist to me, as a kid. Brom was the best in 2e. WAR has been one of my favorites since 3.5 but I feel like we have guys like Tyler Jacobson in the game now who are blowing away pretty much all of those old 2e guys. Just the technical level of contrast, color, lighting, depth, etc., is on another level.
1612782811482.png

Necrozius

Explorer
Vallejo was THE fantasy artist to me, as a kid. Brom was the best in 2e. WAR has been one of my favorites since 3.5 but I feel like we have guys like Tyler Jacobson in the game now who are blowing away pretty much all of those old 2e guys. Just the technical level of contrast, color, lighting, depth, etc., is on another level.
View attachment 132378
Modern artists have the luxury of digital paint for endless experimentation and exploration. The old school artists were much more limited in terms of material. Also modern artists have plenty of inspiration and reference thanks to social networks and, well the internet in general. You hardly need to pay people to model when millions of stock art photos are constantly within your reach.

Modern artists have the luxury of digital paint for endless experimentation and exploration. The old school artists were much more limited in terms of material. Also modern artists have plenty of inspiration and reference thanks to social networks and, well the internet in general. You hardly need to pay people to model when millions of stock art photos are constantly within your reach.
I guarantee you that Elmore's stuff would still look like a group of average folks posing for a photo in their cosplay if he was a fresh 30 year old working in digital medium. All of the color decisions, composition, naturalistic rendering, etc, is the artist. There's no magic button that you push to make the internet paint for you.

My first contact with Elmore's work was the covers of the gamebooks "Endless Quest".

I have got a book a Dragonlance art. I bought it in the first middle of the 90's, this means more 25 years ago.

I wonder how Dragonlance would look with a style of Disney cartoon, or a CGI cinematic trailer of Magic: the Gathering.

* Do you know digital algoritm allows to imitate a painter's style?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Doesn't seem your young self minded that much. Or was that a different sort of sigh.
LOL, honestly it is both!

Being older (and hopefully wiser and more sensitive to such issues) I understand how such exposure to over-sexualized material affected my development, but in my youth and eagerness it was exciting (understandably) to me. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads

Remove ads