To All Who Still Want To Donate! (Please Read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berandor

lunatic
On my way home, I thought about it. I just hope I don't seem like more of a jacka$$ than usual.
EDITED because I'm an ass. :)

If you haven't donated to ENWorld yet, but are planning to do so - please consider helping others, as well.

ENWorld doesn't need it anymore. With twelve frickin' thousand dollars, it's guaranteed to stay for at least the next year.

But there are others who need the money.
So, take your 10, 20, 35, whatever $ and head to
Amnesty International
Greenpeace
Red Cross
or any other deserving recipient.

Donate the money to starving childs. Head out and donate it to your local high school trying to get new books. Anything.

ENWorld made the cut.

Others are still trying.

Berandor

Last edited:

RingXero

Well, hopefully no one will respond harshly to this thread. I think people should donate to an organization or cause based on what they feal they should do. I donated here mainly because I have been meaning to become a supporter but never got around to it. ENWorld and the forums have given me years of entertainment, insight into rules, as well as knowledge of this hobby in general. If it needs money to keep going then I say by all means donate, I don't care if Morrus has enough to keep it going for another 10 or so months, I donated as a symbol of my support for this site.(and the fact I have been too lazy to get a supporter account)
Now, with that said, I also work with and for a number of local charities(Fezzig voice) I have worked with/for large multinationals and small locals. I for one have become very picky about who I give my money and time to, I talk with everyone I can within an organization, as well as the groups that they help. I ask to see how their money flows, what their fundraising targets are, and what the overhead is for running. I suggest everyone who wishes to donate to charities do the same. Make sure your money is going to the purpose you think it is.

If you want to donate to ENWorld go ahead, sit back and know that you have helped a community through a tough time and have shown your appreciation for all the fun that it has given you, I know that the money will be put to good use.

Are the above charities good ones? I won't touch that discussion here. But I will say there are a number of small local charities that if you donate to(and they are worthy of your donation) you will see a direct improvement in someones lives, or in your immediate area.

RX

buzzard

First Post
I rather think people should donate their money where they wish. If EN World is important to them, they should put it there. I believe the site provides a useful service so I kicked in some money. What charities I donate to are my own business, and I don't need advice in that regard (nor, I suspect, do the majority of posters here).

buzzard

Henry

Autoexreginated
I should hope that no one WOULD respond negatively, Berandor. You make a good point.

I'm not telling anyone NOT to donate, because every dollar means that much more that can be put into improving ENWorld's situation, but it also means we should not forget about genuine charities and good causes that are looking to save human lives, marrying up the needy with food and shelter, etc.

If you only have a limited amount to donate, there are other worthwhile causes in this world. I'm not stopping donating to them. But it also won't stop me putting some further funds in the ENWorld fund come this payday. I'm still floored by what happened, and being as I'm a mod here, it's the LEAST I can do to pony up when I have the means to do so! :)

RingXero

EDIT: I just cant get the handle on what I want to say, oh well, resuming 'lurking' stance.

;)

RX

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
I think it's a mistake to put this as ENWorld vs. Starving Third-World Children. Is ENWorld saved for now? Sure. Does that mean we ought to just forget about it for a year? No. Money now = server upgrades and stability later.

Of course it's a good thing to urge people to donate to worthy causes, but I don't believe this is the way to go about it.

I hope everyone remembers the real intent behind the Berandor's post: try to help other people.

He didn't say it very well, but that's what he meant. :)

I agree, try to help other people, whether that's EN World some recognized charity or just the guy on the street asking for change. I've found in my life that helping others is really just helping yourself. It's good for the soul.

So, everyone be nice in this thread, ok?

joe b.

Berandor

lunatic
RingXero: I absolutely agree with you!

I just picked the three organizations that came to my mind the quickest, and were internationally active.

FYI: I donated the money to "Die Insel" (The island), a group trying to fund a school/daycare center for autistic children in my home town.
After meeting the president of the organization, I feel I have great control over what my money will accomplish, and for what it'll be used.

I am still debating whether I shouldn't buy a CS account, as well. :)

Really, I didn't want to seem preaching or something, I just tried to show a different perspective. As of now, donating to ENWorld is more being part of something so big I wouldn't have believed it even this morning, but - especially in the light of possible yearly fund-raisers - isn't really necessary any more. I can understand and fully support people who donate to ENWorld nonetheless, but I wondered whether the community spirit couldn't be extended to other strugglers.

Still, anyone who donated has done much more than I generally expect from anonymus people over the internet.

I can also understand not donating at all, because you don't like ENWorld so much, or because money is scarce (hell, not only have I been there, I am currently going back there, it seems).

There are a lot of organizations/people/places that could use the money for something good. Heck, use it to buy some poor kids a movie ticket.

I'm not saying these people deserve the money more than ENWorld does. I'm just saying perhaps they could use it as well as ENWorld, and I want to show an alternative now the site's saved. Really, no pressure here. :)

EDIT: I re-read my original post, and wow, I really seem to be an ass. "Don't Donate!" :D
Sorry, I'll change it. Seems I was more into getting out the message than really thinking about it.

Last edited:

2d6

A Natural 12
Looking at many of the posts last night, I don't consider my donation as charity, it's payment that has been long due. I for one am guilty as anyone for procrastinating purchasing a CS account. I had no idea how much it costs and the amount of time that goes into this community by the people involved.

Giving to charity is a deeply personal and wonderful thing, being able to help those who are less fortunate or have suffered from situations beyond thier control.

Here though we have an opprotunity to be a community where we can share thoughts, ideas, tales, and be amongs friends in an enviornment that is conductive to those activities. This place benefits each of us, and our giving, regardless of the total amount, is reflective of the importance of ENworld to each of us.

I don't think it is wrong to compensate someone if they provide something of value to you.

Last edited:

Kastil

Explorer
I have given to the EnWorld Cause. As far as donating elsewhere......

I have given some furniture and appliances to the Red Cross when a fmaily in my local area lost everything in a fire. Yard sales, IMO, are a pain and when my son grows out of his clothes (every 6 freaking months!), I give the clothes to the Salvation Army now. They give it to those who need it and when the coat drive comes around, I have plenty of clothes that aren't being used. With the exception of Enworld, I prefer to give things I no longer need than money. I have very little faith in where the money goes in some organizations I guess but I am a pessimist after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases