Trampling; again for clarification

aco175

Legend
I had an encounter last week and could not remember/find the rules for trampling, and they may be changed. I'm asking for clarification on the rules and where they are, as well as on my example below.

I have this fire elephant thing that has a trample power. It can move 8 squares through enemy spaces and make a stomp attack. It stomped through the cleric first, then the fighter, and lastly over the paladin.

I thought there was something about a free AO when it enters your space, but I may be thinking of a trap that let you attack or get out of the way. Also, when it entered the fighters space if he gets an attack would he stop it with the fighter's 'sticky' power, and it would not get a chance at the paladin. If so, would the monster be in the square, or next to the fighter.

I was unsure, so I ruled the fighter gets an attack while the others just get trampled and he was not allowed to stop it. Now I'm looking for clarification. Thanks.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I don't believe there are any specific rules for "trampling". If a monster enters your square from an adjacent square, then by definition they are leaving a threatened square, which means you get an opportunity attack against them.

If a fighter (weaponmaster, sigh) hits the elephant with an opportunity attack, then the fighter's Combat Superiority feature does indeed stop the elephant's movement. And since an opportunity attack interrupts the movement, the elephant would end up stopping adjacent to the fighter.

the Jester

Legend
Trampling works just like the power says it does. There is no general rule for it.

Does the power say you don't trigger opportunity attacks? If not, then you do indeed trigger from each applicable enemy.

Aulirophile

First Post
You wouldn't get a chance at the Fighter if he hit either. The elephant is still 1 square away when it provokes, and is stopped 1 square away.

Aegeri

First Post
It's worth noting that White Dragons REALLY hate fighters. Though defenders without good MBAs by default are made to cry by the same Dragon.

So give and take.

Remove ads