Treasure of Talon Pass - A Review w/ SPOILERS

pnewman

Adventurer
Wizards of the Coast has produced a Free D&D 4th ed module for Free RPG day, on Saturday June 21st. This is my review of the module.

Overall Grade B+, (design and layout A, fun B-)

"You and your comrades must delve into the ruins beneath Talon Pass in search of a fable jade chalice. Not only is the chalice still guarded, but you aren't the only ones after it!

This Dungeons & Dragons adventure takes charactres from 2nd level to 3rd level. It contains five pregenerated characters so you can start playing right away...." [back cover blurb]

This is a 32 page adventure in B&w with a cardstock cover with maps inside and a full color cover. I'd have happily paid $10 for it, so getting it for free at Free RPG day is amazing. It's not perfect though.

The adventure starts with several optional adventure hooks and minor character hooks for the DM. The five pregenerated characters are the second level versions of the characters from 'Keep on the Shadowfell', with better gear and 2 magic items (1 L2, and 1 L1) each.

The DM instructions require the DM to select magic items for the treasure parcels in the adventure. The adventure includes a new magic item, the Talon Amulet, a L3 neck slot item that gives +1 to saves and a +1 item bonus to damage rolls when you have combat advantage and a daily power that lets you, as a minor action, deal 1d6 damage to anyone who hits you with a melee attack. The adventure includes brief guidelines for expanding the adventure or adjusting it based on group size.

This is a two level dungeon with eleven 'Rooms' and ten encounters.
There are 4 level 1, 3 level 2, 2 level 3 and 1 level 4 encounters in the adventure. The monsters include a good mix of undead (including a new Zombie, the pack zombie), orcs, kobalds, traps, constructs, animals, an imp, and - of course - a young Black Dragon (the level 4 encounter, but not the final fight). The maps are well laid out and the monster tactics are clearly described. The module includes some hidden treasures and secret doors, so the party will do well to search each room.

The dungeon is well written and clearly laid out. All the details of each room are clearly listed. It looks as if it would be fun to run or play in. It did not contain any encounters that made me go 'wow'.

Minor Problems

The skill calculations for the half-elf Cleric are still wrong, the Dwarf Fighters skills don't seem to take his armor check penalty into account, and the character art still doesn't accurately show their weapons and armor.

The adventure is stated to take characters from 2nd level to 3rd level, but even if they beat every monster in the dungeon a party of five will still be a few XP's shy of leveling up unless the DM uses one or more of the adventure hooks or minor character hooks. A DM who wants the party to level should plan on using Quest XP to get them over the top.

The description of each room includes the location where the treasure can be found. The module doesn't discuss the possibility that the monsters in the room might be using the magic items themselves. Maybe that's the way 4th edition is supposed to be, but if I'm going to be giving out (say) a suit of +1 Black Iron Plate Armor as the 4th level magic item the adventure is going to award then I'm going to have one of the monsters wearing it to fight them, not have it sitting on a shelf for the party to pick up after they kill the monsters.

The jade chalice you're looking for - It's worth 260 GP if you sell it, or to the patron who hires you.

For a list of stores participating in Free RPG day go to:
http://www.freerpgday.com/
and click on 'list of participating stores'
Most participating stores are in the USA. If there is no participating store in your area you may find it hard to get this module. I hope WOTC will make it available in another format.

WOTC also produced a nice Dungeon tile and a free Shadow miniature for Free RPG day. The adventure as written uses them both, so try to pick them up too if you can. Supplies are limited, so you may want to get to your local store early.

I work for one of the stores participating in Free RPG Day, BOSCO'S in Anchorage, Alaska, and this review is based on a copy we ordered to give away at Free RPG Day. Free RPG Day was created by Aldo at Impressions Marketing, who did a great job, and gave his blessings to this review. This is the second year of Free RPG Day and it is even better than last year. I look forward to next years offerings. Free RPG day includes lots of other great free games, so check out the nice products from the other companies too. - Peter

Bah, none in London, and travelling to Oxford to get a "free" RPG product would be kind of defeating the purpose. Hope WotC puts this up somewhere.

pnewman

Adventurer
kouk said:
Thanks for that great info!

I have a question though: Is the miniature something unique, or just a recolored version of a previous mini (if you know)? You said a Shadow, like the one from Night Below? http://www.legendgames.co.uk/acatalog/shadow_NightBelow.jpg

It's different. It is 'Free RPG Day 08 U31 Lurking Wraith' It is a translucent blue wraith with white hands and face. It doesn't look like any of the Dungeons of Dread miniatures. The included stat card is for the Lurking Wraith (51/60), the wraith in the module is much less tough than the stat card of course.

Rechan

Adventurer
There's no place near me at all giving it away. :/

While I imagine it will be downloadable, I also want the mini. Hmf.

What is the dungeon itself? Is it a cave, a tomb, a fortress, what? Are there any dynamic environments, interesting hazards/traps, etc?

In other words, is it worth hunting this sucker down? :)

(Man, even if this adventure is FREE, I imagine it'd still infringe copywrite if you cut'n'pasted the zombie statblock.)

pnewman

Adventurer
bording said:
So its from Against the Giants then?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20080619a

Does it look just like that, or is it an alternate paint? You said it was blue, so I'm guessing it's an alt.

It's the same mini, but made out of light blue (water colored) plastic.

bording said:
What does the tile look like?
I didn't look at it much. At a quick glance it's nothing special, but is sturdy double sided cardboard (treasure pile on one side, plain rectangular room on the other), the one tile takes up almost the whole sheet but there are a few spare squares at the top that might make an o.k. corridor.

pnewman

Adventurer
Rechan said:
What is the dungeon itself? Is it a cave, a tomb, a fortress, what? Are there any dynamic environments, interesting hazards/traps, etc?

In other words, is it worth hunting this sucker down? :)

It's the basement of an abandoned mountain garrison of a fallen ancient human empire, long ago sacked by barbarians. Six months ago a black dragon with a bunch of kobald servants and a human mage took it over. They left some of the origional undead undisturbed. An hour before the PC's show up, a bunch of Orcs broke in to steal the same treasure. As I said above none of the encounters left me saying 'wow'. There are so many dead kobald and orc bodies in some of the rooms that they count as difficult terrain, which is cool in a grim way. Room 7 used to be a stage and has some cool arbalasters (medium natural animate construct
homunculus giant crossbows) up on the stage and some drakes hidden in a curtained off enclosure. Room 8, the dragons lair, has a nice central pool of water (difficult terrain) for the dragon to push the PC's into and slow them down, as well as a vertical shaft down from the first level. The last encounter, room 11, is a arena. The PC's go in on the lower level and the evil mage lets the monsters out of their cells to fight the PC's and snipes down at them from the catwalk with his ranged attacks. The arena itself has magical properties and whenever anyone crits, becomes bloodied, or takes an opponent to 0 HP a random magical effect occurs. A nice encounter, especially since the PC's are bound to be pretty worn out from previous encounters by this point.

The dungeon doesn't have any spots that are ideal for an extended rest in it so the PC''s will either have to push on without one, camp in a bad spot and hope they don't get jumped, or retreat from the dungeon and make another attack the next day. Obviously I'm new to 4th edtion but it seems as if it may be too tough of a dungeon for a 2nd level party to clear in one pass without an extended rest.

Rechan said:
(Man, even if this adventure is FREE, I imagine it'd still infringe copywrite if you cut'n'pasted the zombie statblock.)

Pack zombies are L2 Minion Zombies that get a +2 to hit if adjacent to another pack zombie and can sacrifice themselves when an adjacent non minion ally is hit by a melee attack to reduce the damage to the ally by 5 points. "In rare cases, zombies who lived highly regimented lives - such as former soldiers - retain a tiny vestige of that training in undeath."

Last edited:

Remove ads