[v.3.5] Campaign Guide: Heroes of Carnell PbP Game!

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
— Automatic Languages: Centaur and Barbarian. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnoll, and Orc.
Not sure if that's a typo, because I've never heard of a Barbarian language before. But still, I'm curious what languages you end up with. I want to know if Caerth will be able to speak Sylvan or Orc with Celephonicus (or Angus?) without the others understanding. :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Not sure if that's a typo, because I've never heard of a Barbarian language before. But still, I'm curious what languages you end up with. I want to know if Caerth will be able to speak Sylvan or Orc with Celephonicus (or Angus?) without the others understanding. :)
Barbarian is a homebrewed language for the Lands of Harqual. It is to the Northlanders of the continent what Common is to the people of rest of the northern lands and Suar is to the people of The Far South. I probably should come up with a better name than just Barbarian, but I'm not sure what I'd change it to.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
In Latin, it would be Barbara/Barbarus, but the idea of Latin doesn't have a strong presence on Harqual, so I'm not sure that is the way to go. In Norwegian/Swedish, it would be Barbar. In Finnish, it would be Barbaari. Harqual is heavily influenced by both Norwegian and Finnish myth, in some ways, but there are also Greek deities too. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with either Barbarus or Barbar.

In Greek, it would be Várvaros.

The Barbarian language is tied to the North Gods and was born when Cronn first appeared out of Kulan's arctic and the first Northerners were formed by his tears after meeting the World Goddess, Mirella. In a sense, Northerners could be considered the Children of Tears (or Barn av Tårene in Norwegian).

Most of the peoples of the Northlands (including Harqualian Centaurs) speak either Barbarian or a regional dialect of it. For example, the Northerners of the Twilight Valley near the Greystone Mountains speak a version of Barbarian called Waracou. There is also Ismand, which is spoken all across the Northlands but not spoken anywhere else. It is a lot more uncommon and hard to learn (two skill points).

FYI, Common has its roots in Barbarian, but it is now its own language with its own alphabet. It is also called Harqualian. Barbarian, Ismand, and Waracou do not have alphabets or are written down in any form. When Northerners write, they use Common or another regional language such as Denilian, Kieli, or Sprache.

I'll upload my latest version of Harqual's language document in a moment...

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I'll probably add both Barbaari and Várvaros as regional dialects based on Barbarian/Northlandic, but the second one won't be a Northlands language. I'm thinking it would be spoken in the Sword Gulf Region where the Onan Territories are located. That region is very Roman/Greek.

Barbaari would be a combination of Northlandic with Kieli and would be spoken mainly where the Northlands and the Ragik Peninsula 'cross axes'.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Looks good so far... I see a shield-wielding theme for your PCs. Heh.
Well, he's a big guy like Tim, so he needs to be a "stone wall," so-to-speak. It just made sense for him to go that route. Normally, I try to make each fighter-type different, but these two characters fill similar roles in their parties, so they both ended up being "sword and board" guys 😛 Well, Angus is pokey and board 😛

Remove ads