[v.3.5] Campaign Guide: Heroes of Carnell PbP Game!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Carnell (village): Conventional/Nonstandard (+1 Community Modifier); AL LN; 100 gp limit; Assets 1,750 gp; Population 350 (was 410); Mixed (79% human, 9% halfling, 5% dwarf, 3% half-elf, 2% cat races, 1% half-orc, 1% other races).

Authority Figures: Her Ladyship, Elisabeth Pendour (female human [aristocrat]); Lady Melantha Pendour (female human [aristocrat]) [Lady Pendour's daughter (now in Belporte with her fiancée)]; Sir Ghalib "Ghal" Ebal (male human [fighter]) [Guardian of Pendour Manor]; Sir Gareth Porthglaze (male human [fighter]) [Sheriff of Carnell; currently missing]; Mabon Bronzethegn (male dwarf [expert/warrior]) [Blacksmith, Head of Militia]; Aeron (male human [?]) [Local Healer; currently at Fort Symas].

Known Members of the Local Guard/Militia: Raius Bellath (male human [warrior]) [Local Guard; currently at Fort Symas]; Meridith Bowen (female human) [deceased]; Weiland Bowen (male human, [warrior]) [Local Guard]; Ailward Stepney (male human [fighter/battle sorcerer]) [Sir Ghal's cohort]; Elijah Worthham (male human [warrior]) [Local Guard]; Brutus Wruck (male half-ogre) [deceased].

Other Villagers: Wilbur Anthonyson (male human); Gangrell Jag (male catfolk) [Scribe in the Manor (deceased)]; Marabelle (female human) [Head Cook in the Manor]; Maggie Porthglaze (female human) [Gareth's wife]; Rosemergy (female halfling) [Owner of Gurnard’s Arms (inn/tavern)]; Quinten Mohren (CG male human [wilderness rogue/ranger]) [Guide, Wharfmaster; currently missing]; Timmins Walmsley (male human [fighter]) [Adventurer (semi-retired)].

New map of Carnell. One square is equal to 15 feet.

Carnell_revised.png

1. Pendour Manor
  2. Aeron's House
  3. Sea Tower
  4. Carnell Hall
  5. Gurnard's Arms (inn)
  6. Village's Stables
  7. Tannery
  8. Lumber Yard
  9. Bronzethegn's Smithy
  10. Old Hostel
  11. Graveyard
  12. Widowchild Farm
  13. Blacksmith Mine
  14. Lord's Tower
  15. Redding Farm
  16. Grove of the North Gods (shrine)
  17. Foot Path to The Beachhead (dock)
  18. Trail to Fort Symas (and the Wasting Shores)
  19. Trail to Hazepoint
  20. Spider Beach
  21. House of Gareth Porthglaze
Carnell - Current.png
Coat of Arms for Carnell​

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Quinten had gone with the PCs to the island but he and Sir Gareth decided to go back to Carnell with the prisoner Vesh Trevil. They and their prisoner never arrived back in Carnell and the launch they used is missing.

Quinten is not very brave and he's not afraid to say so. Adventuring is not his favorite thing to do even though he's more skilled at in than most. He prefers being a guide for caravans.

QUINTEN MOHREN
Male Human of Harqual (Stonnish) wilderness rogue 2 / ranger 2
CG medium humanoid (human, Harqualian)
Init +4; Senses Listen +5, Spot +5
Languages Ariagian, Common
AC 18, touch 14, flat-footed 14
hp 23 (4HD) [currently UNKNOWN]
Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +2
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee short sword +4 (1d6+1/19-20)
Ranged masterwork shortbow +8 (1d6/x3), within 30 ft. +9 (1d6+1)
Face 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +3; Grp +4
Atk Options Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot
Special Actions Favored Enemy (Magical Beast +2), Sneak Attack

Abilities Str 12 (+1), Dex 19 (+4), Con 12 (+2), Int 11 (+0), Wis 11 (+0), Cha 13 (+1)
Special Qualities Archery Combat Style, Favored Enemy, Track, Weapon and Armor Proficiency, Trapfinding, Evasion, Humanoid Traits, Human Racial Traits, Wild Empathy
Special Abilities Sailor
Feats Iron Will, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Stealthy, Track
Skills Balance +7, Bluff +1, Bluff (Flattery) +1, Climb +1, Concentration +1, Diplomacy +1, Diplomacy (Wild Empathy [Animals]) +4, Disguise +1, Escape Artist +2, Gather Information +1, Handle Animal +3, Heal +2, Hide +9, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Listen +5, Move Silently +9, Perform (Untrained) +1, Profession (Guide) +5, Ride +9, Sea Legs +6, Spot +5, Survival +5, Swim +2, Use Rope +6
Short sword; gloves of Dexterity +2; chain shirt; traveler's outfit; pillow of blissful rest; belt pouch [Coins - silver (x8); gold (x5)]; belt pouch [potion of barkskin +2; potion of cure moderate wounds; elixir of sneaking]; masterwork shortbow; quiver (large) [arrows (20)]
Favored Enemy - Magical Beast (Ex) Gain a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.

Age 26

Created using PCGen 6.08.00 RC8 on Jun. 17, 2021
Player: n/a; Character Name: Quinten Mohren
Mohren Family.png

Coat of Arms for Mohren Family

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Sir Ghalib "Ghal" Ebal is the Captain of the House of Pendour Manor. His official title is The Guardian. His first duty is to protect Pendour Manor and its residents. Since the death of his father, he takes his position a lot more seriously and he worries about the citizens of Carnell more, as well. However, if/when a fight break out near Carnell and the manor comes under threat, he will fight to the death to defend it and Lady Pendour even if the village itself comes under direct assault.

SIR GHALIB EBAL
Male Human of Harqual (Anorian) fighter 8
LG medium humanoid (human, Harqualian)
Init +7; Senses Listen +5, Spot +5,
Languages Anorian, Celestial, Common
AC 21, touch 15, flat-footed 17; +1 dodge bonus
hp 87 (8HD)
Fort +13, Ref +9, Will +7 [Mass Conviction (+3), Haste]
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); 60 ft. (12 squares) w/haste
Melee +2 bastard sword (two handed) +16/+16/+11 (1d10+9/19-20) or
Melee masterwork handaxe +14/+14/+9 (1d6+4/x3) or
Melee masterwork silver dagger +14/+14/+9 (1d4+3/19-20) or

Ranged masterwork silver dagger (thrown) +14 (1d4+3/19-20) or
Ranged throwing axe (thrown) +13 (1d6+4)

Face 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +8; Grp +11
Atk Options Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack

Abilities Str 16 (+3), Dex 16 (+3), Con 19 (+4), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 15 (+2)
Special Qualities Bonus Fighter Feats, Weapon and Armor Proficiency, Humanoid Traits, Human Racial Traits, [Haste]
Feats Alertness, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Sword [Bastard]), Weapon Specialization (Sword [Bastard])
Skills Appraise +1, Bluff +2, Climb +6, Concentration +4, Craft (Untrained) +1, Diplomacy +4, Gather Information +2, Handle Animal +8, Heal +2, Intimidate +8, Jump +11, Listen +5, Ride +11 (+13 to stay in saddle), Search +1, Sense Motive +2, Spot +5, Survival +2, Swim +3, Tactics +1, Use Rope +3
Amulet of health +2; +2 bastard sword; ring of protection +1; scale mail +2; cloak of Charisma +4; courtier's outfit; boots of striding and springing; masterwork silver dagger; throwing axe; masterwork handaxe; traveler's outfit
Mount Heave Warhorse (bit & bridle, masterwork studded leather barding, military saddle, saddlebags)​
AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 16​

Age 31

Player: n/a; Character Name: Sir Ghal Ebal
Sir Ghal Ebal - Guardian of Pendour Manor.png

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Mabon is well past his prime as a warrior but he's still an excellent blacksmith. He can be surly like any dwarf but he is more likely to smile and give the PCs bear hugs. Losing his young human apprentice, Dorn, has left him a bit melancholy, however.

He is quite fond of Quinn and was the one to suggest to Lady Pendour that the big warrior be knighted as a soldier of Carnell. (This hasn't actually happened yet, but the locals call him sir Quinn now, regardless.)

MABON BRONZETHEGN
Male Dwarf (Seacliff) expert 3 / warrior 3
LN medium humanoid (dwarf)
Init -1; Senses Darkvision (60 ft.), Listen +7, Spot +7
Languages Common, Dwarven, Giant, Orc
AC 14, touch 9, flat-footed 14
hp 43 (6HD)
Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +5
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Melee +1 cutlass +6 (1d6+1/19-20)
Melee masterwork light hammer +6 (1d4)
Ranged masterwork light hammer (thrown) +5 (1d4)
Face 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +5; Grp +5

Abilities Str 11 (+1), Dex 9 (-1), Con 15 (+2), Int 16 (+3), Wis 12 (+2), Cha 11 (+1)
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., Seacliff Dwarf Racial Traits, Humanoid Traits, Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Feats Alertness, Skill Focus (Craft (Blacksmithing), Knowledge (Dwarves))
Skills Appraise +3, Climb +2, Concentration +2, Craft (Armorsmithing) +10, Craft (Blacksmithing) +13, Craft (Leatherworking) +8, Craft (Metalworking) +5, Craft (Stonemasonry) +12, Craft (Stoneworking) +5, Craft (Weaponsmithing) +10, Disable Device +8, Forgery +3, Handle Animal +1, Heal +1, Intimidate +1, Jump -4, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) +6, Knowledge (Dwarves) +8, Listen +7, Open Lock +4, Search +3, Search (Notice unusual stonework) +5, Sense Motive +1, Spot +7, Survival +1, Swim +1, Use Rope -1
+1 cutlass; masterwork studded leather; boots of the winterlands; masterwork heavy wooden shield; masterwork light hammer; belt pouch [empty]

Age 210

Player: n/a; Character Name: Mabon Bronzethegn
Mabon Bronzethegn.png

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Challenge of Friendship (excerpt from the History and Mythology of Harqual)
The Second Era of Harqual brought great change to the land. Contact was established with both Janardûn and Margoth-Nal and magical flying ‘constructs’ appeared in the sky. These alien constructs brought the first of the Mei’neav or ‘new people’ to Kulan. Dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings, and countless races of humanoids appeared every year.

At first, Cronn and his people welcomed the Mei’neav but soon they became concerned as more and more of the newcomers spread across the land. Not only that, the newcomers worshiped strange alien gods that appeared as omens and visions.

Cronn had no control over these new gods and soon saw them as a threat to his people. “How can I respect those that will not even visit my Great Table. I beseech you, come and feast with me!”

The greatest of the Elven gods, Corellon, spoke for the races of Ne Mei'neav or ‘new races’.

“Great Cronn, it is not our way to appear directly upon the Mortal Plane. Such show of power is frowned upon amongst our kind and may leave us defenseless against our enemies.” Corellon spoke to Cronn as a father would a stubborn child.

“What cowardice is this? You speak like a small child, afraid of his own shadow. Mighty Hades will sit at my table, why not you?” Cronn words were meant to stir the elf god’s spirit.

“You uncouth barbarian! How dare you accuse me of cowardice, you who have never left the mortal plane. I challenge you, Cronn, to face me in the planes for the honor of your people.” Corellon’s words shook the Northlands.

“So shall it be! You choose the place, I’ll choose the challenge.”

“Agreed!”

And so Cronn went to the Outer Planes and faced Corellon on the Pillars of Koth in the deepest wilderness of the Beastlands.

“You choose well, Lord Corellon. Now lets see if you’re up to my challenge. Ours will not be a contest of battle. Ours will be a test of strength, honor, and trust.” Cronn gave the elf god a wry smile.

“What do you have in mind?” Corellon stared in shock at Cronn. Had he underestimated this savage god?

“Each of us must bear the other’s divine weight on his back and jump from pillar to pillar until the last one is reached. The bearer must keep the other from falling at all cost, even at the risk of his immortality.” Cronn’s words echoed across the Beastlands.

“You surprise me Cronn. But I am up for your challenge. I’ll even go first if you like?” Corellon already knew what the result would be.

“So be it.”

Thus, Corellon bore Cronn’s divine weight as he jumped from pillar to pillar without a single misstep or pause. The elven god’s quick reflexes and sharp mind sought out the most direct path from one edge to the other. And thus did Cronn, when it was his turn for honor, carry the elven god without misstep or pause. Each had matched the other perfectly and both had convinced the other of his strength, honor, and trustworthiness.

“You have taught me a most valuable lesson this day, Great Cronn. My power flows not only from my people but from here on the Outer Planes as well. Yet you were willing to risk your divine power for the honor of your people without any such claim. I will be honored to sit at the Great Table and feast with you and your people. And I’m sure I can convince the other gods of the Ne Mei’neav as well.”

The two sealed the friendship with divine blood, with the Warrior’s Greeting of the barbarian people of the Northlands. A drop of this blood fell to the land of the Beastlands, mixing with its essence – creating the noble yet savage Seraph, The Bloodbrother, half elf and half barbarian.

Corellon greeted his new godchild with open arms. “Welcome, we are your fathers, this place is your mother. Its creatures are your friends and allies. Come, meet both your families and we shall celebrate together in Arvandor.”

“Yes,” Cronn beamed at his new son. “Truly, now the elves and my people are brothers in friendship and blood.”

Thus, it was that Corellon and Seraph were given a special place of honor at Cronn’s Great Table. And Corellon was true to his word and convinced the Great Gods of the dwarves (Moradin), gnomes (Garl), and halflings (Yondalla) to sit with Cronn and his kin at the Great Table.

And all was well, for a while.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Scrolls Lost on Gurnard Island (likely in the hands of the cultists)
MINOR
Arcane Scroll (CL 4th): 2nd - false life.

MEDIUM
Arcane Scroll (CL 7th): 3rd - magic circle against chaos, rage; 4th - globe of invulerability (lesser).

MAJOR
Arcane Scroll (CL 9th): 5th - cloudkill, magic jar.
Arcane Scroll (CL 13th): 4th - charm monster; 7th - ethereal jaunt.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Frontline Militia Members
Zephora Chyrche, Militia Fighter (female human, Ftr1):
hp 15; AC 16; Melee +5 (mwk longsword/1d8+2); Ranged +2 (mwk shortbow [20 arrows]/1d6); Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +4; Feats Endurance, Toughness, Weapon Focus (longsword); Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8. | Mass Conviction (+3)
Armor scale mail, heavy steel shield (borrowed from Samantha [Gala of Inanna])​

Militia Fighter (two male and one female humans, Ftr1) [x3]: hp 15; AC 15; Melee +5 (mwk longsword/1d8+2); Ranged +2 (mwk shortbow [20 arrows]/1d6); Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +1; Feats Endurance, Toughness, Weapon Focus (longsword); Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.
Armor scale mail, light steel shield​

Dwarven Militia Fighter (one male and one female dwarf, Ftr1) [x2]: hp 16; AC 18; Melee +4 (mwk battleaxe/1d8+2); Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +4; Feat Toughness; Str 15, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6. | Mass Conviction (+3)
Armor splint mail, heavy steel shield​

Militia Soldier (male/female humans, War 3) [x3]: hp 19; AC 15; Melee +4 (longsword/1d8+1); Ranged +4 (shortbow [20 arrows]/1d6); Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +2; Feats Endurance, Toughness, Weapon Focus (shortbow); Str 13; Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.
Armor chain shirt, light wooden shield​

Back at Carnell
Militia Fighter (one male and one female human, Ftr1) [x2]:
hp 15; AC 15; Melee +5 (mwk longsword/1d8+2); Ranged +2 (mwk shortbow [20 arrows]/1d6); Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +1; Feats Endurance, Toughness, Weapon Focus (longsword); Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.
Armor scale mail, light steel shield​

Dwarven Militia Fighter (one male dwarf, Ftr1): hp 16; AC 18; Melee +4 (mwk battleaxe/1d8+2); Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +1; Feat Toughness; Str 15, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6.
Armor splint mail, heavy steel shield​

Militia Warrior (male/female humans, War1) [x14]: hp 11; AC 15; Melee +2 (short sword/1d6+1); Ranged +2 (shortbow [20 arrows]/1d6); Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +1; Feats Toughness, Weapon Focus (shortbow); Str 13; Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.
Armor chain shirt, light wooden shield​

Last edited:

Remove ads