variant psion

RHM

First Post
Please click the link in my sig and let me know what you think. I'm also working on a variant telepath class and new psionic combat rules. I'd appreciate input. Thanks.

Crothian

First Post
There isn't much of a difference. The biggest I saw dealt with save DC and getting bonus feats instead of any attack/defense modes. Why did you make these changes?

I think I perfer the WotC version, personally.

DreamChaser

Explorer
you also added damage scaling which was specifically removed from psionics as a balancer for the power point flexibility. The bonus feats (maybe a few more of them) would more than make up for the removal of the attack/defense modes and adding the Mental Sanctum could work also. But I don't think psionics should scale (at least without spending more PPs for the power).

RHM

First Post
Crothian said:
There isn't much of a difference. The biggest I saw dealt with save DC and getting bonus feats instead of any attack/defense modes. Why did you make these changes?

I think I perfer the WotC version, personally.

Under my variant, all the powers use WIS as the primary stat. Thus, you only need one really good ability score to use any power level 1-9 instead of six really good scores.

I personaly feel psionics are more about using one's strength of will rather than one's strength of muscles. i.e. "I'm really strong and that lets me grow claws using the power of my mind!" Thanks but no thanks.

I dropped psi-combat because it relies upon this multiple ability score dependency I speak of.

Changing the primary stat for all psions (I got rid of subclasses too) meant I had to drop psi-combat.

RHM

First Post
DreamChaser said:
you also added damage scaling which was specifically removed from psionics as a balancer for the power point flexibility. The bonus feats (maybe a few more of them) would more than make up for the removal of the attack/defense modes and adding the Mental Sanctum could work also. But I don't think psionics should scale (at least without spending more PPs for the power).

I added free scaling because, quite frankly, I don't see it as being overpowered. The damage cap under my variant is equal to what divine spellcasters get. Plus, I actually went ahead and did some math which basically showed that free scaling isn't overpowered. If someone out there is actually willing to sit down, do the math, and perchance come to some other conclusion, they're welcome to try it.

I looked at what a sorcerer could cast using damage-dealing spells and what a psion of equivalent level could do using my free scaling (which at first was slightly more generous than what I settled on). I took 3 different save DCs, calculated the percentage of damage each spell/power could do on average, and compared the results. Low and behold, the two were almost neck and neck.

I'll admit, free power point flexibility is a nice plus, but consider the actual amount of PP psions get. Compared to the number of spells a sorcerer can cast per day it's actually less than half.

Last edited:

RaZZer99

First Post
RHM said:

Under my variant, all the powers use WIS as the primary stat. Thus, you only need one really good ability score to use any power level 1-9 instead of six really good scores.

I personaly feel psionics are more about using one's strength of will rather than one's strength of muscles. i.e. "I'm really strong and that lets me grow claws using the power of my mind!" Thanks but no thanks.

I dropped psi-combat because it relies upon this multiple ability score dependency I speak of.

Changing the primary stat for all psions (I got rid of subclasses too) meant I had to drop psi-combat.

Psions were not designed with the intention of them having six really good ability scores. You are suppose to pick one or two areas and specialize. For instance, you go for high Con and Cha effectively making you a compentent telepath/telekinetic (ala Jean Grey :) who probably has those stat score high if she was made into D&D terms)

Strength was chosen for psychometabolism because strength is the stat that represents your body's physical fitness. A body that is well conditioned and toned could better endure the invasive physical changes that occure during power invocation. Each of the prime requisite stats can be made to fit the power category with a bit of imagination.

Overall, I would prefer WotC's Psion to your version, no offense. WotC hit the nail on the head, IMHO, and the psion seems pretty much perfect in terms of uniqueness and balance and coolness (granted psi combat and manifestations are the biggest sticklers).

RHM

First Post
RaZZer99 said:
Psions were not designed with the intention of them having six really good ability scores. You are suppose to pick one or two areas and specialize. For instance, you go for high Con and Cha effectively making you a compentent telepath/telekinetic (ala Jean Grey :) who probably has those stat score high if she was made into D&D terms)

Do any arcane or divine spellcasters need more than one exceptional ability to cast their spells? No, they don't. I know how the system is "supposed" to work. I didn't like it and I changed it. This is the house rule forum, isn't it?

Strength was chosen for psychometabolism because strength is the stat that represents your body's physical fitness. A body that is well conditioned and toned could better endure the invasive physical changes that occure during power invocation. Each of the prime requisite stats can be made to fit the power category with a bit of imagination.

Metabolism? Hmmm. Sounds more like CON to me.

Anyway, what does being strong have to do with using the powers of your mind? Under the current "official" rules, a drooling hulk with 3's across the board except for his 20 in strength can "use his mind" to use an 8th-level power like hypercognition to "deduce almost anything."

Um...okay.

And just wait until your egoist reaches venerable age and suddenly has trouble using even his mid-level primary discipline powers without the help of magic or psionic ability-boosting items. More than likely, he'll be kissing any TK or psychoportative powers he has goodbye. Oh, well.

Overall, I would prefer WotC's Psion to your version, no offense.

None taken. :)

WotC hit the nail on the head, IMHO, and the psion seems pretty much perfect in terms of uniqueness and balance and coolness (granted psi combat and manifestations are the biggest sticklers).

Cool? Yes. I love psionics and most of the PsiHB. However, there are big chunks of it I don't like. No, I don't think they're all that balanced. Even the subclasses themselves have a disturbing amount of disparity between them.

At any rate, you're entitled to your own opinion. Thanks for replying.

RaZZer99

First Post
RHM said:
Do any arcane or divine spellcasters need more than one exceptional ability to cast their spells? No, they don't. I know how the system is "supposed" to work. I didn't like it and I changed it. This is the house rule forum, isn't it?

Why is it you think Psions need more than one exceptional ability score? Wizards don't get every 9th level spell, so why should Psion's have access to all 9th level powers? A nomad with only exceptionally good dex will do just fine, and there are plenty of powers from his specialization. At their highest levels, Psions only know at most 5 powers per given level. They aren't going to run out of choices. And lets face it, most characters atleast have a few pretty good stats (one high level, couple of 13-15 ish ones) so they will have access to some mid level powers of other specializations.

And yes this is the house rules forum, and you can change whatever you want as you see fit for your game. But you did ask for opinions, and I'm giving you one. The reasons you state for changing the psion don't seem very credible. And your psion feels like WotC's psion except truncated into the role of a mentalist, which is fine if thats the flavor you want.

RHM said:
Metabolism? Hmmm. Sounds more like CON to me.

Anyway, what does being strong have to do with using the powers of your mind? Under the current "official" rules, a drooling hulk with 3's across the board except for his 20 in strength can "use his mind" to use an 8th-level power like hypercognition to "deduce almost anything."

Um...okay.

And just wait until your egoist reaches venerable age and suddenly has trouble using even his mid-level primary discipline powers without the help of magic or psionic ability-boosting items. More than likely, he'll be kissing any TK or psychoportative powers he has goodbye. Oh, well.

Psychometabolism was originally linked to Con before the final draft, but was moved to Str so TK could be linked to Con. For balance reasons, every category needed an attribute. And Str seems just fine for Psychometabolism. If the name is bother you so much, change it to Psychomorphism or something.

You are right, strength doesn't seem to jive with the powers of your mind, but thats only if you take the narrow view of psionics should be telekinetics and telepathy. I think of Psionics as more as the power of the human body (sorry demihumans ;) ). Through intense focus and training with one particular aspect of your body, you can expand its boundaries of normal human limits.

I would have to agree with you on hypercognition, but one power doesn't break a whole system. If you don't like hypercog, just nix it from the psychometabolism list.

Vernable age? I don't think many players use characters who are 70+ years of age. And you might rule that such aging effects don't affect the Egoist since he in tune with his body so much. An egoist could probably find immortality through use of his powers.

Remove ads