Virtual Happy Hour (Brews & Spirits, Pics & Reviews)

Zardnaar

Legend
No idea what a Pacific PA is but can looked cool and options were limited at flyspeck supemarket.

IMG_20210221_130513.jpg

4.6%. pretty average tbh. Paid twice as much as generic IPA/APA and it's weaker and tastes worse. Kind of a tropical take on fruity hop taste.

Not particularly exciting 7/10 being generous but at price point 6/10. Wouldn't buy again. It's drinkable but could probably get a similar effect dropping a half shot of fruit juice into an IPA.

I liked the colour on the can but Baltika 7 similar colour a lot better bang for buck.

Downgraded to a 5 barely drinkable.

Beer scale.

10. Perfect beer probably never award
9. Excellent one of the best.
8. Good beer
7. Not bad at all.
6. Drinkable
5. Barely drinkable.
4. Prefer not to drink might go down the drain.
3. Will go down the drain before you finish bottle.
2. Down drain around half way mark.
1. Revolting down drain first mouth full.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Downgraded to a 5 barely drinkable.

Beer scale.

10. Perfect beer probably never award
9. Excellent one of the best.
8. Good beer
7. Not bad at all.
6. Drinkable
5. Barely drinkable.
4. Prefer not to drink might go down the drain.
3. Will go down the drain before you finish bottle.
2. Down drain around half way mark.
1. Revolting down drain first mouth full.

I like your scale. At what level would you actually pay $ for it again or intentionally seek it out?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Ponysaurus Export Stout from Ponysaurus Brewing in Durham, NC. Pint can, 6.2% ABV. Definite unsweet coffee taste, with a feel of real fine carbonation as it goes down. 86 (Very Good), 3.9/5 on Beer Advocate seems about right. I'm blaming that it foamed right out of the can for my atrocious pour.

7 on the Zardnaar scale.

Attachments

• 1614698526945.png
    1614698526945.png
    387.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 1614698533888.png
    1614698533888.png
    592.4 KB · Views: 93

Zardnaar

Legend
I like your scale. At what level would you actually pay $ for it again or intentionally seek it out?

Probably 7. Maybe a 6 depending on price/location/options.

Eg you're in a small town buying beer from the local bar or end of day supermarket with not much left on shelf.

4 and 5 is if someone else has paid for it there's no other option and it's a hot day. Eg you're out on a boat and there's free beer and you open the fridge and noooooooooo.

6 is like your bog standard drinkable lager, 7 similar but you like drinking it. Our standard traditional beer are ales and they're not nice.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
My two favorite weizens so far have been the Weihenstephaner Dunkel Weizen and the Maisel's Original Hefeweizen. This is the second of two bottles of this one from the last pair of mixed six packs, and this time it had a bit more of a hefe-ish banana-like flavor in the background than I remember from the first one. Either way, I think I like this better than their original and need to do a comparison with the Weihenstephaner. 5.4% ABV. Beer advocate only has it as a 3.74/5 and 84 Good. I agree with one of the reviews there that that seems way low. I think this seals it that the dunkel weizens are my favorites up there with the porters and stouts (and totally different from them).

Attachments

• 1615052655142.png
    1615052655142.png
    701.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 1615052664873.png
    1615052664873.png
    684.9 KB · Views: 95

Zardnaar

Legend
My two favorite weizens so far have been the Weihenstephaner Dunkel Weizen and the Maisel's Original Hefeweizen. This is the second of two bottles of this one from the last pair of mixed six packs, and this time it had a bit more of a hefe-ish banana-like flavor in the background than I remember from the first one. Either way, I think I like this better than their original and need to do a comparison with the Weihenstephaner. 5.4% ABV. Beer advocate only has it as a 3.74/5 and 84 Good. I agree with one of the reviews there that that seems way low. I think this seals it that the dunkel weizens are my favorites up there with the porters and stouts (and totally different from them).

Can you get Baltika in your area? Baltika 6 is a porter at around half the price of most and it tastes better than a few.

Zardnaar

Legend
I will try to remember to ask if they carry it next time I order for curb-side pick-up (probably a few weeks out).

It's Russian but they're owned by Carlsburg group. Rated high for a macro brewery on beeradvocate. Waiting for some to chill I'll have one up in an hour or so.

Zardnaar

Legend
Went out for lunch and the supermarket over the road had cabs of Oettinger at $2 ($1.50 usd) a can. That's cheaper than a can of coke at the gamestore or kebab place ($2.50).

Bought 5 cans same price as a McDonalds combo. 12 of these cans are similar in price to a dozen budweiser or other imported lager. Each can is 500ml 4.7% 1.9 abv.

Close to 2 dozen generic ales that would usually cost $36-$40. 35 beers to 5E PHB.

IMG_20210307_145545.jpg

How bad can it be? Expectations were rock bottom. It's German though insert stereotype. Brewed according to the German beer purity laws.

Thought it may have been dated stock but it expires on the 15/10/21.

Can looked cool I like that shade of blue. Well it poured very frothy pale golden colour with a faint scent of grains.

Slightly bitter taste vs say Krombacher my other cheap generic German pilsner which is a bit sweeter.

Otherwise fairly big standard Euro lager. Probably a 6.5 it's nice enough but at that price I'm going to kick this up to a 7 could even go to a 7.5.

It's being sold at a 4/10 barely drinkable cheap swill student beer I'm poor as F price.

Reminds me a bit of Baltika 5 but cheaper and bigger can.

72 on beer advocate.

33% off for what it is bargain. Agree with beeradvocate.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases