Virtual Happy Hour (Brews & Spirits, Pics & Reviews)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Would try any of that

Mostly been sticking to my reasonably priced lagers. Had 20 odd litres down ton17.1.

Took two and a half weeks to polish if 12 hoppy pilsners.
I only have one or two a week usually, so makes it less painful to pay more $ each :)

Here are two more from a trip to DC earlier in the summer (when air travel seemed less insane briefly).

An Erdinger Dunkel Weiss at Old Europe restaurant in DC. Piano playing in the background and a plate of various wursts on the way. And they were really good wursts - if you're ever in DC and like old school German restaurants, check them out. The beer on the other hand was just ok. Beer advocates 84 = Good (3.75/5) seems about right.

1629552252505.png

Also tried the tasting menu at Jose Andre's China Chilcano - Peruvian/Chinese/Japanese - restaurant. It was split between being really good and being meh. I hadn't had an Asahi before, and it was better than the Kirin Ichiban I had first. Beer Advocate has the Ichiban at a 64 Poor (2.71/5) and the Asahi at a 76 Ok (3.05/5). Neither would be my choice, but I'd quickly grab either before a mass produced American lager.

1629552419245.png1629552441729.png1629552490528.png

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Asahi not to bad for mass produced beer. Would drink again.

German restaurants few and far between.

One of the oldest restaurants in my medium sized home city in Illinois is a rathskeller. I thought they had pretty good German food until I went to that one in DC. My other half isn't a huge fan, so even if we had one here I probably wouldn't get to it often.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Untitled Art + Lua Brewing's Pina Colada Smoothie Seltzer.

Told the local store to pick two mixed six packs for curb-side pick-up with stouts, porters, hefes, dunkel weisses, dunkels, and anything with coconut. I was picturing a beer and not a seltzer for the last one.

First time I've had an alcoholic seltzer... maybe ever. It's pretty darn good (which fits with the dessert stouts I've had by Untitled Art before). Only problem is years ago at poker we would make some actual Pina Coladas and now I want one of those. 5% ABV. Would certainly get this again, because you can't always have banana Cruzan, vanilla or coconut Bacardi, ice, vanilla ice cream, Bacardi frozen pina colada mix, and a blender handy.

1629763674495.png1629763685168.png

Zardnaar

Legend
Think I posted some seltzers earlier.

Neither of usliked them one was ok the other 2 meh.

Wife hooked into her ciders last night. They're not to bad same company makes good beer as well.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Sgt. Molly American Wheat Ale by 13 Stripes Brewery. With a taste in the background of something like a sour or pine tar something seemed off. Checking beer advocate it's an American pale ale. Wish the can had said that instead of wheat ale.
🙁
5.4% ABV, 26 IBU, no Beer Advocate rating, 3.6/5 on Untapped.

Nice can though: "Here’s to Mary Ludwig. Named Molly Pitcher by the soldiers she risked her life bringing water to during battle. Manning her incapacitated husband's cannon during the Battle of Monmouth, she held her position until the battle was won, Molly only paused to remark, when a cannon ball passed between her feet that she, "was lucky it did not pass a little higher." After the battle, Gen. Washington awarded her the position of NCO. From then on Sgt. Molly was hence immortalized as an American Legend."
1630883524539.png1630883535489.png

Belhaven Black Scottish Stout. Nitro from Dunbar, Scotland, brewery est. 1719, 4.2% ABV. Beer advocate has it as 86 Very Good 3.81/5. It started off feeling very watery or thin, but has settled down and is pretty good. I'm not a huge nitro fan, but I want to compare this side by side with a Guinness at some point. I want to say this has a lot more stout flavor. Not bad.

1630883605657.png1630883618202.png

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Labor Day in the states is unofficial end of summer and a new pumpkin to try. Pumpkin Spice Yeti by Great Divide in Denver. The top of the pour is spectacular, smooth and rich - almost a dessert stout - and got my hopes up. Once you've gone down a ways it loses quite a bit of that. If there was some way to capture that first two drinks of a pour (or topping off since it's a big can) it would be number one on my pumpkin list. Given the exorbitant amount they're charging for it ($10.99 US iirc) I doubt I'll have another of this one. 89 Very Good, 4.11/5 on Beer Advocate. 9.5% ABV.

IMG_20210906_170250.jpgIMG_20210906_170313.jpg
<

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Jelly still polishing of all those Baltika 7's. Down to last 9 litres.

Had this last night pictures not good.
IMG_20210906_193319.jpg

Not a cider fan but this was good.

Zardnaar

Legend
Lithuanian beer try reading that. 5.2%.

IMG_20210909_194547.jpg

IMG_20210909_194703.jpg

Very smooth and easy to drink not much flavour slightly sweet. Reminds me of Budweiser but with a bit more flavour.

8/10 would drink again. Apparently it's dirt cheap so gonna look for some cans.

Forgot about Beer Advocate 79 there so my 8/10 not to bad.

Comments are watery, sweet, faint malt taste. Lithuanian Bud then;). Bit more flavour than bud not by much though.

Easy drinking though hot summer's day you could get messed up fast. Cool can with gold foil top. Classy.

Last edited:

Remove ads