War of the Burning Sky Questions [Possible Spoilers]

Mitchbones

First Post
I am a fiend for Adventure Paths. So naturally when I heard about EN world publishing their own I was interested in running it.

I was wondering how hard it is for newer players (will I have to make tons of changes?)
How do you feel about it compared to Savage Tide?(I'm running ST or WotBS)
What is your overall opinons about it?

Thanks!,
Mitchbones

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Well, given that only the first three modules are out thus far, all my comments will pertain mainly to them. :)

How do they compare to the Pazio AP's?
Very favorably, IMO.

"Savage Tide" has the reminsicene factor ("Isle of Dread!" "Demogorgon!") goign for it, where WotBS offers a much grander, grittier scale.

The first module in WotBS ("Scouring of Gate Pass"), is also, refereshingly, NOT a Dungeon-Crawl, which all the AP's thus far have empahsized. There's alot of emphasis on interactions with NPC's, subterfuge, and role-playing.

They also do a good job of setting up the future events, though to my (admittedly untrained) eye, some of the encounters seem particularly challenging for the levels of the adventure. (Though I gather the Paizo AP's are also notrious for racking up the Body-COunts, as well.)

Given the choice, I would run WotBS first, then "Age of Worms", then "Savage Tide".

takasi

First Post
I have finished Age of Worms from 1st to 20th. I am still running Savage Tide (at 12th level right now) and I'm playing in Shackled City (just hit 6th).

My players are 2nd level in Burning Sky. They think it's the best campaign so far, but that could also be due to the format (online with MapTool vs in person), the smaller number of players (4 vs 6 or more) and the fact that we've been playing longer together. Also, as mentioned before this AP (so far) is not all about the dungeon crawl, which is refreshing.

Mitchbones

First Post
I am still on them middel of the fulcrum for my decison. Does anyone else have any opinons? I'm really glad that EN decided to go with free Player/DM guides, it will help alot in my decison.

Also something to read while I'm grounded.

My vote is also for WoBS... mainly because it is definatley *not* a dungeon crawl. The third module places the characters dead center in the political hurricane of a city swamped by refugees from many nations. While not needed for the main plot-line the PC's can get involved in all sorts of 'adventures' that have nothing to do with killing monsters and taking thier stuff...

Not saying that there isn't any killing and looting... :)

For me its refreshing to see modules that address Bardic Knowledge checks. That and the shear size and scope of the adventures outstrip anything else I have seen. WoBS ranks up there with SR's Harlequin and CP2020's Chrome Berets IMHO.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm far too biased to give an objective opinion.

My group is halfway through Age of Worms at present (we started it long before WotBS began). I can't wait to run WotBS after it, though.

The differences that aren't "subjective", so I feel it's OK to compare them despite being involved with WotBS:

1) WotBS adventures are much bigger. Paizo's APs averaged just under 30 pages per adventure, including ads and cartoons. So far, we have a 60 page, a 70 page and a 100 page adventure. Overall, I estimate we'll average over twice the page count.

2) Free stuff, additional material - roughly comparable, I'd say. AoW had its "Overload" which is roughly comparable to WotBS' Campaign Guide. WotBS has a similar sized Player's Guide, too. Both give you the maps and stuff for free as an additional download (I'm not sure if AoW gives you 1-inch scale battlemaps, though?). By the end of the series, I think WotBS will have about twice the free stuff that AoW had.

3) Format - AoW is a series of magazine articles. WotBS you get options: PDF versions, softcover versions, and, at the end of the series, a hardcover compiled version.

3a) Cost - with a wotBS subscription, you get 12 adventures for $34.99. Compared to 1 year's Dungeon subscription (in which you get other adventures). Cost per page ratio? Not sure.

4) External support - WotBS will have associated novels, additional products, etc.

5) Flavour - as mentioned WotBS is a lot less dungeon-crawly. There are dungeons to crawl, of course.

6) WotBS supports EN World! Yay!

AoW is damn good, though. We're enjoying it immensely.

Last edited:

Mitchbones

First Post
Thanks a lot everyone! Your comments swayed my decison, ordering the books from lulu today.

Morrus, I stayed up last night reading the guides and I loved how there was a nation named after you :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Mitchbones said:
Morrus, I stayed up last night reading the guides and I loved how there was a nation named after you :)

Yeah... I'm not quite so pleased about that....

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
3) Format - AoW is a series of magazine articles. WotBS you get options: PDF versions, softcover versions, and, at the end of the series, a hardcover compiled version.

Hardcover, you say?
OOOOH!
Is it too soon to ask for info on that? (Especially the considered price-point?) :)

I have the PDF's and was thinking of picking up the POD's but I may opt for the hardcover instead....

4) External support - WotBS will have associated novels, additional products, etc.

Yeah, I'm defninitely looking forward to the novels.

Mitchbones

First Post
Morrus said:

3a) Cost - with a wotBS subscription, you get 12 adventures for $34.99. Compared to 1 year's Dungeon subscription (in which you get other adventures). Cost per page ratio? Not sure.
When you buy the softcover you aren't getting the pdf version with it correct? Also, the pdf would return more money to EN world correct? I am guessing lulu.com takes out $5 since thats what they chared fro the player's and the campaign guide. Just ordered the first adventure today, and psyched to run it (May 21st when I get ungrounded).

I think you don't like the fact that the nation Morrus got owned by Ragesia

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases