Warlock to cover rogue role?

Ry

Explorer
Is it possible for a Warlock to cover the rogue role in a party? We're starting 2nd level for a game of Tomb of Abysthor.

Zurai

First Post
Warlocks don't get Trapfinding and don't have Search as a class skill. It'd be pretty hard for a Warlock to be a trap monkey.

Claudius Gaius

First Post
Sure, depending on how destructive you want to be: blast every door from 60 feet away, blast pits in the floor to check for traps as you advance, etc, etc, etc... If you've got the transformation ability, bring along a big bottle of bugs: when in doubt, turn one into something to toss ahead.

More seriously, it depends a bit on what you actually expect the Rogue to be doing.

Ryan Stoughton said:
Is it possible for a Warlock to cover the rogue role in a party? We're starting 2nd level for a game of Tomb of Abysthor.
For trapfinding purposes, no. Totally useless (Barbarians and Fighters would the job better by moving above every square they find and jumping up and down)

For "opening locks" - well, Eldritch Blast deal half damage to objects, and there is one invocation (Comlete Mage?) that increases this to full. There is also an invocation that allows you to cast shatter at will (Baleful Utterance).

For "taking out single opponents" - yes, certainly. Eldritch Blast deals as much damage as Sneak Attack (minus multiple attacks, minus weapon base damage, plus improved range), and you can learn to walk walls, fly or teleport short distances for improved movement.

"Socially": Beguiling Influence plus a high INT can grant you some good Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate scores. I'd suggest human and getting a way to reduce cross-class skill cost (like Able Mind from Races of Destiny) or add the social skills as class skill.

Ry

Explorer
Honestly I was thinking along the lines of "Warlock with a dog." at least until I can capture a goblin or something.

Klaus

First Post
Apart from dealing with Traps, yes.

Leaps & Bounds, Beguiling Influence, Shatter, Flee The Scene, Walk Unseen, Dark One's Own Luck, Baleful Utterance, Hammerblast are all useful invocations.

Invest in magic items like wands of Knock, cloaks and boots of elvenkind, slippers of spider climbing, goggles of minute seeing and you should be good to go.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Get the invocation that lets you animate dead and voila, insta-trap fodder, just have your skeleton and zombie minions walk ahead of the party clearing most traps for you.

Not sure what level you have to be to get that one though (no book on me).

You might consider one level of a class with trapfinding, then go warlock. Rogue would be the obvious choice, but there is also a ranger variant with trapfinding, as well as Beguiler or Scout. Scout is an especially interesting option, as I think skirmish should work with your eldrich blast.

Ry

Explorer
Well, I've just learned that we have a rogue and no arcane caster, so I think it would be better for me to roll Sorcerer (maybe metamagic type)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases