Web material in PCGen

Seule

Explorer
I can live without splatbook material in PCGen. However, is there any possibility that the free material released by WotC on their website could be included? Of particular interest to me would be the wealth of psionic material released, as I both play in and run campaigns using this material.
As a distant second option, is there a tutorial anywhere for people wishing to add their own material to PCGen for their own private use? The .lst files have defeated me, and I didn't find the included help files useful.

--Seule

Last edited:

Twin Rose

First Post
Seule said:
I can live without splatbook material in PCGen. However, is there any possibility that the free material released by WotC on their website could be included? Of particular interest to me would be the wealth of psionic material released, as I both play in and run campaigns using this material.
As a distant second option, is there a tutorial anywhere for people wishing to add their own material to PCGen for their own private use? The .lst files have defeated me, and I didn't find the included help files useful.

If it's not released under the OGL, they can't use it, and the web enhancements are not.

Some softwares, such as Campaign Suite and DM Genie, have editors that let you add the stuff easily. Might want to explore other options if the .lst files defeat you.

merton_monk

First Post
We'll be sure to ask Wotc for permission for the Web Enhancements. We're not restricted to only using OGL material - otherwise our discussions with Wotc about using their non-SRD material (which would include the web enhancements) would be moot, as would our discussions with non-OGL publishers. We are restricted to using OGL material for those publishers who produce OGL material if that's the kind of permission they are willing to give us. It's more fun to just write code and be a good netizen than to worry about all the legalese, but the legalese aspect is important.

What Chris was implying about file editing is that for any software it is perfectly legal for you to enter your own data. Distributing those files is another matter - but as long as you just use them for yourself you've got no worries, whether you use PCGen, Etools, CampaignSuite, RedBlade, whatever. Admittedly, editing the .lst files for use with PCGen is more for those with a technical background. I crafted the syntax of the lst files for use with my own campaign before I considered making PCGen available on the web... so the arcane nature of it is purely my fault. :) We are working on adding editors built into PCGen - there's one for deities and skills already and we plan on adding editors for all of them in the near future. Our plan is to make it easy to add stuff without requiring the learning curve of the lst file syntax. For those with a technical background, editing the lst files can be done in any file editor (Notepad, Wordpad, MS Word, Excel, vi, etc...). If you start editing the lst files and find that you enjoy it (and there are those who are masochistic enough for this!) then let us know at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen and mention that you'd like to be a Data Monkey. If you want a faster response, put "Tir - reap my soul!" in the subject of the post. I have no comment on how that tradition started... the names have not been changed to protect the innocent. :)

Remove ads