Webcam

Ferret

Explorer
I bought a Silvercrest webcam a while back (early june?) and had it running smoothly on my old XP laptop, since then I've switched to a laptop which has Vista, and an integrated webcam.

Now to start off I installed the driver (and the 'cams other software), I disabled the integrated version and it worked fine. But then I unplugged the webcam and it no longer works, in fact it comes up in Device Manager as 'Unknown Device'. Now, what is really strange is whilst it stopped working so did my DVD-RW stopped (unrelated though, failed Nero 7 install) so I System Restored to before both the first install of Nero and the Webcam drivers. And now the DVD-RW works (yay) but the 'cam isn't recognised whether or not the drivers are installed or which USB socket it is plugged into.

Anyone else had issues like this, or at least know how to help?

Thanks kindly!

Ferret

Explorer
Ok, this is weird. It's sorted itself out. I unplugged it, looked in Device manager and it was there. So I disabled the integrated one, plugged the external back in and it works fine.

Really strange.

Thanee

First Post
Do you always use the same USB port to plug it in?

Because the drivers often only apply to the port the device is in, and not to any of the other USB ports.

Bye
Thanee

Ferret

Explorer
I've had that with wireless USB 'sticks', so I moved it around before. I did change the port when I took it out, but it reappeared in Device Manager *before* I put it back in. :confused:

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Ferret said:
I've had that with wireless USB 'sticks', so I moved it around before. I did change the port when I took it out, but it reappeared in Device Manager *before* I put it back in. :confused:

* Sigh * Computers and their peripheals... Ferret, they boggle the mind.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases