What do you think of this race

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
I'd say that they are ECL +1. Granted, they are a little more powerful than some other ECL +1 races (Genasi, for example), but I don't think they are powerful enough to be considered ECL +2.

I would, however, remove the statement preventing Sheetahs from being Wizards or Sorcerers. You should probably change it to something like "Sheetahs who are brought up in a tribe cannot begin play as a Wizard or Sorcerer." After all, there could be the occasional Sheetah who leaves their tribe on an adventure and decides to begin studying magic, or who discovers during their travels that they have an inner talent for magic. (Besides the fact that racial class limits like that are so 2nd Edition... ;) )

Last edited:

Setanta

First Post
I'd say this race is better than the other +1 ECL races out there, but maybe not as good as the +2 ECL races. In a case like that, I believe it's best to err on the side of caution, and make the race ECL +2. That way, if a player wants to use the race for roleplaying reasons, he should be fine, but nobody is likely to take the race for powergaming reasons. If you make it +1, you could get someone who wants to take it just for the +4 net stat modifiers or something.

Zappo

Explorer
ECL +3? Like half dragons? Nah, I vote +2. They have good ability and skill bonuses (even though that -2 CON hurts) and very useful powers, but they don't come anywhere close to half-dragons or half-fiends.

Zerovoid

First Post
I say keep them to ECL +1. No way would I even consider playing that race at ECL +3. Rather than make them ECL +2, I would take away to bonus to either charisma or wisdom, although they probably won't be a problem at ECL +1 as is.

Even at ECL +1, they will probably be unpopular with spellcasters and melee fighters. They're ideally suited to be rogues though. All those skill bonuses will actually stack on top of skills that a rogue actually puts points in and uses.

RogueJK

Kajamba Lion said:
I like the idea a lot. It has solid potential, but the race definitely needs an ECL. My guesstimate would be +3

Woah... hold on a second there. Have you compared the Sheetah to any of the other ECL +3 races? They aren't even close to +3 ECL, IMNSHO. And the main reason that Drow are ECL +2 is their Spell Resistance. Take that away, and they are merely ECL +1.

Pass without Trace and Speak With Animals are nice abilities, but nothing gamebreaking. They have little use in combat, which is mostly what the ECL system is balanced for. As far as the skill bonuses go, compare them with the Halfling. The Halflings get close to the same skill bonuses to Jump, Climb, and Hide, and they have an ECL modifier of 0. The bonuses to Listen, Spot, and Search, on the other hand, while good, certainly don't require that much of an ECL modifier.

While I agree that they need an ECL modifier, +3 is way too high. +1 or +2 is certainly more reasonable.

[Edit] Fixed Drow ECL. :eek: [/Edit]

Last edited:

RogueJK

Setanta said:
If you make it +1, you could get someone who wants to take it just for the +4 net stat modifiers or something.

There are already several ECL +1 races with a net +4 to stats. These include Aasimar, Hobgoblins, and even Merfolk (who have a +6 net modifier to stats).

Remove ads